Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

For someone who hated technology, Superman surely spent an awful lot of time in the Silver Age building dozens of Superman and Clark Kent robots. He must have hated that almost as much as he hated Jimmy Olsen's signal watch and all those time-travel and transporter devices he used in... practically every issue.

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

Why hasn't technology-hater Superman smashed S.T.A.R. Labs by now, and why didn't he boot Professor Hamilton into the Phantom Zone decades ago?

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Why hasn't technology-hater Superman smashed S.T.A.R. Labs by now, and why didn't he boot Professor Hamilton into the Phantom Zone decades ago?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, when the solution is "build more rockets," it kind of seems like technology is important in some respects and the real issue is hubris. Wall-E shows man and machine working together.
    Exactly,man and machine working together.Not,being slave to it.superman was in his original incarnation counter balance to ironman and the likes,philosophically.

Moreover,I had already said there are different versions of the characters evocative different feelings.Silver age superman is basically Jon Kent in themes.the man of tomorrow.Even then,kal rarely did showcase that side of him.the character was about embracing the alienness.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-30-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Exactly,man and machine working together.Not,being slave to it.superman was in his original incarnation counter balance to ironman and the likes,philosophically.
    This is a completely different beast from what you've been saying this entire thread. Your argument is that Superman was anti-technology.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That was always one of my problems with the whole Krypton thing; they just never came up with a believable explanation as to why large numbers of Kryptonians didn't survive. And no, the whole Eradicator thing and the other convoluted ideas they've tried over the years just never did it for me. I just can't get over the idea of a incredibly advanced alien race that is stuck on one planet despite possessing advanced interstellar, (and implied intergalactic) space travel.
    Being technologically advanced does not prevent one from being arrogant and stupid in other areas.

Superman came here in a rocket/spaceship. I don’t see how he could be anti-tech, that would’ve been idiotic. I don’t remember that from Johns run but it’s no surprise that got dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Was that actually unpopular? Pre-Crisis WW outside of Marston and that brief mini Busiek did is generally awful. No clue how that era sold but it gave Diana agency and let her fight Bond villain organizations which sounds cool. The problem was that WW was the premiere superheroine, so her being de powered was always going to get some side eye, although it took an article in Ms. to undo that era right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Was that actually unpopular?
    Yes. Dennis O'Neil himself grew to be ashamed of it.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I think the only good things derived directly from the retcon to an Atlantean heritage were:

Further distinguished her from Superman
    Gained the ability to use magicks to augment her powers like being able to "fly" non-flyers with her without the need for physical contact
    Great costume visual with the seal
    And her participation as an Atlantean descendant during the reuniting of the kingdom's of Atlantis arc during the second year of Aquaman 's title

The whole Scarabus thing was horrible though and it is the main reason can just go whatever to the regression
    Whatever happened to Power Girl's baby again? Did he die at the end of the arc? Was he just never brought up again?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Superman came here in a rocket/spaceship. I don’t see how he could be anti-tech, that would’ve been idiotic. I don’t remember that from Johns run but it’s no surprise that got dropped.

Was that actually unpopular? Pre-Crisis WW outside of Marston and that brief mini Busiek did is generally awful. No clue how that era sold but it gave Diana agency and let her fight Bond villain organizations which sounds cool. The problem was that WW was the premiere superheroine, so her being de powered was always going to get some side eye, although it took an article in Ms. to undo that era right?
    Nothing Silver Age can be THAT bad...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is a completely different beast from what you've been saying this entire thread. Your argument is that Superman was anti-technology.
    Nope!I have been saying the same.That is anti-technology message/narrative. It means tech would be antagonistic position or a position of failure in purpose. Pro-technology would be saying technology brings about utopia or some great age. This criticises that, Choosing muscle over steel ,neurons over circuits and finding equal footing with the machines, Not letting them colonise you. There is a reason why people want cyberpunk dystopia for metropolis . Wall e had people starting to plant tree again with hands.While,the ai found emotion called love,family bonds,friendship..etc.They then started living side by side trying to reinvigorate the ecosystem.Superman is against the tech fetish that exist.Superman was against machines replacing people(workers originally)
    "Man can be competent enough to fix his own problems with his own two hands.Dare i say, be better than the tools he created".
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-31-2020 at 02:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Being technologically advanced does not prevent one from being arrogant and stupid in other areas.
    But that also doesn't work for me. I find it hard to believe that arrogance in that case would take the form of refusing to leave your home planet when you can, rather than say the opposite, having them leave to either colonize the universe or simply conquer it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Whatever happened to Power Girl's baby again? Did he die at the end of the arc? Was he just never brought up again?
    Who? What baby? That never happened, it was just a fever dream. Now relax and take two aspirin and read her trades in the morning and everything will be all right.

Does that answer the question?

But no, he never did appear again. He doesn't die so much as simply...leave. I guess even he realized how unwelcome he was. And considering she was later retconned, I doubt he's even in continuity these days.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    But that also doesn't work for me. I find it hard to believe that arrogance in that case would take the form of refusing to leave your home planet when you can, rather than say the opposite, having them leave to either colonize the universe or simply conquer it.
    They didn’t have space ships mate, and they forgot how to make them. Technology isn’t a straight line, just because you have robots doesn’t mean you necessarily will have space travel. Hell after the moon landings we still have yet to put a man on Mars or what have you.

My own personal headcanon is that the GLC nuked Krypton back to the Stone Age after their imperialist past, and by the time Krypton had made progress back to where they were before it was too late. Explains why the Guardians didn’t make more of an effort to save them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Nothing Silver Age can be THAT bad...
    Silver Age WW was awful. Just boring stories about WW pining over domestic life, and trying to get Steve Trevor to marry her since the “proper” role of women was in the home. There’s a reason WW has never really gotten any of her Pre-Crisis stuff back, aside from the occasional attempt to fold some of the Marston era back into canon. Her stuff is really boring. “Modern” WW really begins with Perez. You can skip from Marston to Perez without missing a beat.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-31-2020 at 02:32 AM.