Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Examples of a supporting character taking over a film franchise

Not just a supporting character that steals the show in one movie, but one that actually ends up taking over the franchise itself.

I was watching Tremors: Shrieker Island a few days ago and the question came to mind.

Michael Gross’ Burt Gummer pretty much did it all in that franchise.
    He went from supporting character (and comedy relief) in the original, to co-Star in the sequel, to Starring in the third, to leading a TV show based on the movie to playing his own grandfather in the fourth movie. Movies five through seven saw him fight Graboids in extremely different terrains, while in universe he became something of a legend in certain circles after 30 years of cryptid combat.

So yeah, looking for other examples of that type.

Predator becomes about the guy in the fetish suit rather than Arnie from the second one on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Predator becomes about the guy in the fetish suit rather than Arnie from the second one on.

Nooooot what I’m looking for but thank you.

So we are basically for things were the star is to big to do the sequel but they kept making sequels? Uhm Independence day 2, Men in Black the last one, The Bourne Ultimatum, Speed 2.... I guess Jurassic Park with the Jeff Goldblum character is only decent one I think about?

Tremor is freak of nature , It was solid budget movie that become this low budget B movie franchise. I can't think of anything really

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So we are basically for things were the star is to big to do the sequel but they kept making sequels? Uhm Independence day 2, Men in Black the last one, The Bourne Ultimatum, Speed 2.... I guess Jurassic Park with the Jeff Goldblum character is only decent one I think about?

Tremor is freak of nature , It was solid budget movie that become this low budget B movie franchise. I can't think of anything really
    Someone at another site mentioned the Pirates of The Carribean franchise to me this morning. Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow def. took over that franchise.

Would Anakin Skywalker count? He was the villain in the first trilogy, then the protagonist of the prequel trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Someone at another site mentioned the Pirates of The Carribean franchise to me this morning. Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow def. took over that franchise.
    I don't think that qualifies. I believe the intent was to upset traditional storytelling by making Captain Sparrow the lead of the first movie with the "traditional hero" relegated to supporting. But that's my opinion...

The Pink Panther

JAWS? The last two sequels have the Brody kids and then Ellen Brody take center stage.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

The novel of TLW focused on Malcolm already so they were pretty much stuck with using Goldblum regardless. However once they got back to making original stories Sam Neill and Laura Dern did return.

The next movie is going to have all three.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Hannibal Lector was a supporting character in "Manhunter" and "Silence of the Lambs" but became the protagonist later on.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hannibal Lector was a supporting character in "Manhunter" and "Silence of the Lambs" but became the protagonist later on.
    That’s a good example, imo. And thanks for your earlier posts, they gave me some food for thought!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The novel of TLW focused on Malcolm already so they were pretty much stuck with using Goldblum regardless. However once they got back to making original stories Sam Neill and Laura Dern did return.

The next movie is going to have all three.
    Malcolm died in the first Jurassic Park book. His death was retconned in the second novel because they planned on using him again for the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Would Anakin Skywalker count? He was the villain in the first trilogy, then the protagonist of the prequel trilogy.
    I don't think so. In the first trilogy, even "Old Ben" remarked that Anakin was considered a hero during the Clone Wars, and that Vader "killed him". So, it was already set up for Anakin to be a good guy, at least for a time.

Extraordinary Member

Friday the 13th

Mrs. Voorhees was the killer in the original. Jason only showed up at the end in a dream sequence.

But then, Jason took over the franchise.