Thread: Bat Armor

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Default Bat Armor

Remember when Azbats happened, Bruce, Alfred, and pretty much everyone in the Batfam and also the DCU commented at different moments about how Batman with armor...just wasn't right? Just wasn't Batman - like it was a philosophical inauthenticity.

Anyway, now that Bruce has had some sort of Bat armor at times given the scenario whether just a reoccurring minimalist reality, straight up Steel/Iron Man/Lex battle-suit type, or even a mecha in comics, games, on-screen, etc., I get it, and many times I think that it looks awesome, but at the same time those 90s comics' character attitudes towards Bat armor keep nagging at my head and it does feel a bit dirty.

Thoughts?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The armor Bruce uses are for fighting Justice League, Darkseid, Legion of Doom, or hordes of undead assassin while he's injured. Gordon wears armor because he's not as buff as Bruce, so I have no problem with all of those. Most of the time, when dealing with regular criminals or even some normal human heavy hitters with the whole city burning, he doesn't wear a battle suit like that.

I like the occasional armor. It's not like he's in a Iron Man armor or Gundam mecha suit all the time. It's just the occasional flourish. And frankly, it's fun. Just like all those times in the Silver Age where he had to wear rainbow or zebra Batsuits or ride the "ultimate" Batarang or other silly adventures. Sometimes we take the grounded thing too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I like the occasional armor. It's not like he's in a Iron Man armor or Gundam mecha suit all the time. It's just the occasional flourish. And frankly, it's fun. Just like all those times in the Silver Age where he had to wear rainbow or zebra Batsuits or ride the "ultimate" Batarang or other silly adventures. Sometimes we take the grounded thing too seriously.
    Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it too. I never understood the "it makes him Iron Man" argument either, no one says that when Lex wears his power armor. Tony Stark isn't the only superhero who can wear armor. As long as it's not all the time and makes sense I don't see any problem with Bruce wearing an occasional power armor.

I still feel that way.

I prefer my Batman to be 'human'. He's an expert martial artist. A master detective. A master psychologist... all things that are at least 'some level' grounded in SOME form of reality.

Under no circumstances should he EVER be building Mech suits to fight Darkseid and/or the entire JLA. It's just not 'Batman'. There are times it's an unpopular opinion... but I don't even like his 'high tech balistic armor' that the standard Batsuit is made out of now days. I prefer him having the spandex under his tuxedo. Same with Daredevil. They're stealthy acrobatic gymnast types shouldn't have ANY kind of bulk or heft to their costumes.

The one exception I have found was this suit of armor. It looked REALLY cool, and honestly I don't remember it doing much. It was more of a full body cast from the beating he took from the Predator the issue before... but yeah, I always liked that look. Would NOT want to see him dealing with random muggers with it though... just overkill.

He has almost as many armor suits as Ironman now.

He has at least 40 I'm sure.

Easy, his most powerful armor is his Bat Plot Armor.

Whatever material it is, the Batsuit should still look streamlined and seamless.

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    Remember when Azbats happened, Bruce, Alfred, and pretty much everyone in the Batfam and also the DCU commented at different moments about how Batman with armor...just wasn't right? Just wasn't Batman - like it was a philosophical inauthenticity.

Anyway, now that Bruce has had some sort of Bat armor at times given the scenario whether just a reoccurring minimalist reality, straight up Steel/Iron Man/Lex battle-suit type, or even a mecha in comics, games, on-screen, etc., I get it, and many times I think that it looks awesome, but at the same time those 90s comics' character attitudes towards Bat armor keep nagging at my head and it does feel a bit dirty.

Thoughts?
    Sorry, but mechsuit Batman completely loses me. But then I just barely like Iron Man and Technocrat