Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I know you're a huge Duke fan so consider this: given his lukewarm reception at best, if he was in any other office, he would have disappeared or died by now. Even the Super or Wonder books with all their merch significance would not have protected him.
    If Duke had been part of another family, he would have been happy with a lukewarm reception.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I’m not saying Jaime didn’t get a chance. It’s that he isn’t still getting that exposure for such a great character. Much lesser characters keep popping up while he’s off the radar.

But hey, maybe it’s just me that sees more to this character. I just feel like through outside media we could see him thrive in today’s world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Jaime got a fair shake. I think putting Giffen on Jaime during Rebirth was a bad call though. That said, they absolutely should try a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle YA book, I suspect Jaime would do quite well outside the direct market. The DM doesn’t care about him, or about any B/C-Lister these days honestly.
    Agreed .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Completely credible and utterly disgusting on the parts of Levitz and Carlin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Jaime got a fair shake. I think putting Giffen on Jaime during Rebirth was a bad call though. That said, they absolutely should try a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle YA book, I suspect Jaime would do quite well outside the direct market. The DM doesn’t care about him, or about any B/C-Lister these days honestly.
    I agree with you on all points. I think Jaime would play extremely well to a younger audience if given to them in a format they are more accustomed to.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I remember that period well so some corrections:
    Superman was gearing up for New Krypton.
    Wonder Woman was going to get rebooted by JMS.
    Aquaman was dead.
    Hal was gearing for Blackest Night and Robinson's Cry for Justice (ugh) was in the works.
    Final Crisis was also on the horizon.

To add to your point, there were multiple big events happening in so many non-JLA books that the JLA book was a glorified hypeman for those events.

Dwayne was very cordial in answering most of the questions. He even defended cross over events at first, it wasn't until a website compiled all his responses that it painted a broader picture of how DC was screwing him over. Dwayne couldn't even focus on non-Big 7 characters as DC couldn't make up their minds about how to use them either. They had plans for Roy in Cry for Justice and they planned to kill off Kendra in Final Crisis before changing their mind at the last minute forcing Dwayne to scrap his initial plans and he had to re-dialogue finished pages. There were also times when the artist, Ed Benes, had more power than him. Benes wanted Zatanna so he can do more cheesecake poses.

There is also the whole Milestone fiasco, DC wanted *all* the Milestone characters and not just Static so Dwayne had to jump through multiple legal hoops to get them into the DCU only for them to use just Static on Teen Titans. They didn't even bother to use anyone else until recently. Also in the Milestone mini series Dwayne wrote to get them in the DCU, they removed a Neil Gaiman quote for no real reason.
    I knew it was something in terms of their solo books. He also said they would be back around issue 50 if everything worked out.

Gail Simone ASKED to use Rocket in Birds of Prey-she got shot down.

Jaime is possibly the worst example of "didn't get a chance" at modern DC.
    Well New 52 screwed him over like so many. Because it like New 52 Static forgot what attracted folks to them in the first place.

If every shot you give him is CRAPPY whose fault is that?

I know you're a huge Duke fan so consider this: given his lukewarm reception at best, if he was in any other office, he would have disappeared or died by now. Even the Super or Wonder books with all their merch significance would not have protected him.
    That was due to ONE comment "Better than Robin." that set off bitter Robin faction.

If he popped up in WW-what would he be? Wonder Boy?

If he popped up in Superman-what would he be? We have seen how that Superman office has issues with black males-especially the ones who like Supergirl.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I’m not saying Jaime didn’t get a chance. It’s that he isn’t still getting that exposure for such a great character. Much lesser characters keep popping up while he’s off the radar.

But hey, maybe it’s just me that sees more to this character. I just feel like through outside media we could see him thrive in today’s world.
    I think the point is being made how guys collecting DUST on shelves can be dug up and get books to NO complaints from the usual suspects.

Meanwhile any discussion MAINLY when it comes to POC-gets pushback. Even if they get a tv show or movie. It's like committing a sin if someone tries anything with them.

Lead mainly by those who would NEVER read the book.

Adam Strange gets a mini? No one goes off. Question gets one. No one goes off.

Jaime could dominate the YA market. You got Miles, Shuri, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, Cassandra Cain, Nubia, Beast Boy & Aqualad. Don't let Static pop out with one.

Angry

Sadly, I'm in no way surprised by what I've learned in this thread, sickening.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the point is being made how guys collecting DUST on shelves can be dug up and get books to NO complaints from the usual suspects.

Meanwhile any discussion MAINLY when it comes to POC-gets pushback. Even if they get a tv show or movie. It's like committing a sin if someone tries anything with them.

Lead mainly by those who would NEVER read the book.

Adam Strange gets a mini? No one goes off. Question gets one. No one goes off.

Jaime could dominate the YA market. You got Miles, Shuri, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, Cassandra Cain, Nubia, Beast Boy & Aqualad. Don't let Static pop out with one.
    Excellent points.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Completely credible and utterly disgusting on the parts of Levitz and Carlin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Sadly, I'm in no way surprised by what I've learned in this thread, sickening.
    It's a real shame that the company with arguably the most noble, altruistic heroes has a history of being anything but.

While the future looks really scary for the shared universe, the actual company is making progress, so that's the silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's a real shame that the company with arguably the most noble, altruistic heroes has a history of being anything but.

While the future looks really scary for the shared universe, the actual company is making progress, so that's the silver lining.
    Agreed (I would really miss the shared universe, though....)

Astonishing Member

DC's misogyny and racism stifled talent...and we lost stories.

DC's practices attempted to dictate our preferences...and we lost characters.

DC's policies left a lot of our money on the table...money that I bet they wish they had now!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agreed (I would really miss the shared universe, though....)
    Honestly, a broken DCU is one where a lot of the characters just up and vanish... And without it, we never would have had Green Arrow and Black Canary. That alone amounts to a war crime.

Astonishing Member

does-nightwing-77-openly-criticise-dc-comics-owners-warners-att/

Well, if it does criticize AT&T,...then let's remember that DC/WB is not entirely blameless.

BANNED

The link in the original post goes nowhere, has the site gone kaput or was the original link redacted? Same for the Valerie D'Orazio thing lower.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    The link in the original post goes nowhere, has the site gone kaput or was the original link redacted? Same for the Valerie D'Orazio thing lower.
    Just google the title the article still exists. MSN, The Escapist, Business Insider, and others all released articles.

Part of the link was probably redacted by CBR automatically. I'm not sure why that happens but i think some websites get auto blocked.
    The J-man