All-New Member

Default GRADE HIGH END SPIDER-MAN #50 w/SMALL 1.5" TEAR?

I found this comic in a box of 13 silver age Spider-Man comics found in a storage unit won at auction. Most are in excellent condition, including 3 that are already graded - but this one with the first Kingpin appearance is probably the most valuable.

The problem is it has a small 1.5" slit or cut in the cover in the shape of a backwards letter C. It is a clean slit - you can't even see it unless you know where to look (ps - it is in the middle section of the back Spider-Man's right arm).

Can anyone tell me what this does to it's grade? Is it better to leave it or have it repaired?

Thank you for any help with this!

COMIC A A COMIC GROUP A A _ SPIDERMAN DC COMICS GOLD & SILVER AGE GROUP 1AA.JPG COMICS 50 & 51 .jpgCOMIC A A COMIC GROUP A A _ SPIDERMAN DC COMICS GOLD & SILVER AGE GROUP 1AA.JPG COMICS 50 & 51 .jpg

All-New Member

I didn't mean for the #50 & #51 to come up together - I photographed them together to sell as a group but thought I'd saved #50 & the close up separately to post here - sorry!

COMIC A A COMIC GROUP A A _ SPIDERMAN DC COMICS GOLD & SILVER AGE GROUP 1AA.JPG COMICS 50 & 51 .jpg

COMIC A A COMIC GROUP A A _ SPIDERMAN DC COMICS GOLD & SILVER AGE GROUP 1AA.JPG COMICS 50 & 51 .jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by miamibeachcg View Post
    I found this comic in a box of 13 silver age Spider-Man comics found in a storage unit won at auction. Most are in excellent condition, including 3 that are already graded - but this one with the first Kingpin appearance is probably the most valuable.

The problem is it has a small 1.5" slit or cut in the cover in the shape of a backwards letter C. It is a clean slit - you can't even see it unless you know where to look (ps - it is in the middle section of the back Spider-Man's right arm).

Can anyone tell me what this does to it's grade? Is it better to leave it or have it repaired?

Thank you for any help with this!

COMIC A A COMIC GROUP A A _ SPIDERMAN DC COMICS GOLD & SILVER AGE GROUP 1AA.JPG COMICS 50 & 51 .jpgCOMIC A A COMIC GROUP A A _ SPIDERMAN DC COMICS GOLD & SILVER AGE GROUP 1AA.JPG COMICS 50 & 51 .jpg
    My advice would be to leave it as is and get it professionally graded. Generally speaking most collectors prefer unrestored comics. That's a key issue, it'll sell fast

All-New Member

Any thoughts on what it might grade out to?
    If I want to get it and a few others graded, how do I do that? Honestly, I'm a little scared of just putting it in the mail - either it getting lost or damaged in delivery are 2 of my concerns.
    Also, if I insure it for say $1,000 and it's damaged what happens? Since it's not graded yet will they honor the insurance?
    Thanks again!

BANNED

Cgccomics.com will provide you some good info on the process and pricing. I would suggest perhaps looking for a local comic shop that has an account with cgc already and asking how much they would charge you to send it in along with others they submit. CgC also goes to comic cons and will accept comics there, saving you shipping and insurance costs. Again their website will have more info. You always have f he option of setting up an account with cgc yourself as well. As to the grade, that tear you describe is a big flaw but it helps that it is not immediately noticeable. Hard to say what the actual grade will be but I ghink its worth your while to get it graded. Don't sell it to a dealer unless you're looking for a quick buck. You'd probably get about 25%of the actual value tops.

All-New Member

Much Thanks!