Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What was the greatest Epilogue ever?

So, the story is done, and we get 2-4 more pages at the end, that is usually labeled as "later", "epilogue". Sometimes its just a "here's what happened the next day", sometimes its a "WHOA!" revelation, sometimes a teaser, or even a tie in to an upcoming event.

Which epilogue was the best ever?

Extraordinary Member

My favorite is the epilogue that really wasn't included in the original Kingdom Come 4-part story but was included in the collections where Clark, Diana, and Bruce meet at Booster Gold's restaurant. I loved that Bruce figured out what Clark and Diana were going to tell him before they actually do. After all the drama of the amazing story, it was nice to have a calm dinner between three old friends.

Nice thread idea, by the way.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Which epilogue was the best ever?
    One from a Quinn-Martin production (yes, I'm showing my age )?

The greatest DC epilogue, bar none, IMO:

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

ok I'll bite, what's that from?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    ok I'll bite, what's that from?
    Detective Comics #500. It's also my favorite story, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

While the story overall had mixed reviews, but the ending of Nightwing: The New Order actually had a lot of optimism and growth in a post-Batman (and perhaps even Justice League) world. Where metas, aliens, half-aliens, and regular humans learned to live and grow with each other.

Spectacular Member

Don't have in front of me but one of my favorites was World's Finest 300. After hardly speaking for a dozen issues and then forced to work together with the JLA and Outsiders in the Pantheon Saga, Wonder Woman helps Superman and Batman reconcile. The final panel has them clasping hands and saying, "After all we've been through, I guess we're stuck with each other" while the whole JLA looks on. Corny I know but I don't care.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IwgAA...w7O/s-l300.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Not my favorite, but I remember it being a shocker - Legion of Super Heroes Annual #3 where Darkseid kidnaps one of Lightning Lad & Saturn Girl's twins and send him back in time as the villain Validus. Whoa.

Last edited by caj; 10-29-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Retired

I was reading the letter columns from ACTION COMICS when the Legion were the back-up feature (circa 1970) and someone suggested that Validus could be the son of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl. There was also a letter from some guy named Keith Griffen (no idea if he's any relation to Keith Giffen).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Not my favorite, but I remember it being a shocker - Legion of Super Heroes Annual #3 where Darkseid kidnaps one of Lightning Lad & Saturn Girl's twins and send him back in time as the villain Validus. Whoa.

The best part of that was Darkseid warned them at the end of the Great Darkness Saga he would have revenge, and he did in a massive way.

I don't if it counts but... Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run.

I always loved the epilogue in the JSA: Kingdom arc from Geoff Johns and Alex Ross. The one where we see what happened to KC Superman after the story ended and how it lead up to the Legion of Superheroes era.
    Last edited by John Venus; 10-29-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That epiloge is so good i really think it should have been included in all collected versions of KC going forward. That end scene with old Clark looking up at the Legion flying by and smiling to me is the best ending Superman could ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I don't if it counts but... Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run.
    Do you mean the flashes of the future and how the GLs all turned out? I'd say it qualifies as an epilogue.

my favorite epilogue is (and I'ma cheat) Batman: Last Knight on Earth. I know it's a whole series but Snyder kinda pitched it as an epilogue of sorts for his Batman run and that's the way I process it.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."