Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wonder Woman is just as vulnerable to telepathy and magic as Superman
    Is this universally true?

Some writers just assume magic = Kryptonite, and just being in the presence of magic means Superman is at a disadvantage. Also, I think it was the Loeb run of Superman/Batman where Wonder Woman could protect herself from telepathic suggestions by using her lasso.

My take is WW should be somewhat more resistant to magic and telepathy because of her weaponry. Superman might not be able to tank a magic blast that WW could block with her bracelets. And as mentioned, maybe the lasso should give her some protection from telepathic attacks. But under most scenarios, their resistance to these should be about on par.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Is this universally true?

Some writers just assume magic = Kryptonite, and just being in the presence of magic means Superman is at a disadvantage. Also, I think it was the Loeb run of Superman/Batman where Wonder Woman could protect herself from telepathic suggestions by using her lasso.

My take is WW should be somewhat more resistant to magic and telepathy because of her weaponry. Superman might not be able to tank a magic blast that WW could block with her bracelets. And as mentioned, maybe the lasso should give her some protection from telepathic attacks. But under most scenarios, their resistance to these should be about on par.
    I think the instances where the very presence of magic weakens Superman drastically are very few and far between. I'd say most of the time he powers through it far easier than kryptonite. He's beaten both Wonder Woman and Shazam and in Superman/Wonder Woman, Circe was afraid of facing him directly. Not to mention what he did to Apollo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How is it stupid? So many Superman fan keeps saying this yet never explains why?

Wonder Woman is just as vulnerable to telepathy and magic as Superman while not being as strong as him and lacking several of his other abilities. Try again.
    1: the lasso and I think one of his powers gives him extremely high resistance to telepathy.
    2: superman is weaker for magic than batman, a human.
    3: kryptonite is stupid, because it is supposed to be an extremely rare mineral, but in metropolis you can find it on the street, it is stupid because there are 20 different versions, each with a different effect, it is stupid because after 80 years no its real effect is known, it is stupid because it does not affect humans (one of the weakest and most vulnerable species in the universe), other beings that absorb energy, only Kryptonians, it is stupid to point out that it has become a joke to insult superman.
    Imagine that ww is weak for a stone from themyscira, that only amazons are weak for stone, the stone can only be found in themyscira, but suddenly tons of that stone start to appear all over the world.
    tell me what is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    1: the lasso and I think one of his powers gives him extremely high resistance to telepathy.
    2: superman is weaker for magic than batman, a human.
    3: kryptonite is stupid, because it is supposed to be an extremely rare mineral, but in metropolis you can find it on the street, it is stupid because there are 20 different versions, each with a different effect, it is stupid because after 80 years no its real effect is known, it is stupid because it does not affect humans (one of the weakest and most vulnerable species in the universe), other beings that absorb energy, only Kryptonians, it is stupid to point out that it has become a joke to insult superman.
    Imagine that ww is weak for a stone from themyscira, that only amazons are weak for stone, the stone can only be found in themyscira, but suddenly tons of that stone start to appear all over the world.
    tell me what is stupid
    Isn't Kryptonite supposed to be rare?

Regarding WW and telepathy, Pre-Flashpoint she absolutely was resistant to telepathy and this resistance was a plot point of significance to several stories both in her book and in several guest stories. Later, when she had the Eyes of Athena no illusions of mind control could influence her.

Those who mention the lasso are spot on as well for with the lasso she can render herself immune to assault and could use it to sift through a person's mind and instantly teleport to the places seen there. She also could traverse different realms through mental discipline.

But that was all before the misguided Flashpoint & 52. Since that time there are no definitive anything about the character and she all around seems a great deal less formidable (flight, durability, her gear, etc.) So it is anybody's guess.

Even the Gods are reduced and were treated as little more than superheroes a la the Fourth World characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Isn't Kryptonite supposed to be rare?

Regarding WW and telepathy, Pre-Flashpoint she absolutely was resistant to telepathy and this resistance was a plot point of significance to several stories both in her book and in several guest stories. Later, when she had the Eyes of Athena no illusions of mind control could influence her.

Those who mention the lasso are spot on as well for with the lasso she can render herself immune to assault and could use it to sift through a person's mind and instantly teleport to the places seen there. She also could traverse different realms through mental discipline.

But that was all before the misguided Flashpoint & 52. Since that time there are no definitive anything about the character and she all around seems a great deal less formidable (flight, durability, her gear, etc.) So it is anybody's guess.

Even the Gods are reduced and were treated as little more than superheroes a la the Fourth World characters.
    officially there is almost no kryptonite on earth, but tons appear out of nowhere, if I remember correctly there is a comic in which superman and batman destroy all kryptonite, but it started to come out of nowhere again, but that goes in stages, for a year maybe she doesn't appear the next day she appears in all the comics, she is still respected in the comics, but on TV, especially on Smallville, it seemed like all of Krypton ended up on Earth.

I wonder why the Kryptonite crutch. Superman has so many fantastic powers and sci-fi is huge. Surely there are physical events they could use

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I wonder why the Kryptonite crutch. Superman has so many fantastic powers and sci-fi is huge. Surely there are physical events they could use
    They do. When was the last time we got an issue where someone whipped out Kryptonite, and that was the main threat? It’s been pretty rare. Most of the time Supes is just getting bruised and bloodied trading blows with foes who can match him physically like Mongul or hurt him in other ways like Red Cloud and Parasite.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I believe, its more prevalent in other media. Things like cw shows, animated movies have made it a crutch. Smallville basically had clark falling sick every episode. That's why when clark in crisis on infinite earth took the kryptonite and threw it. Heck! Even punched lex without fake strength which he was so dependent on. It was incredibly cathartic. Clark truly had grown. The introduction of the character chopping woods was pretty damn good as well.

Also loved sandman saga. Kryptonite never more.Always been a fan of his eating habits.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-05-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He isn’t though. No one is. You only get that (sometimes) when you have one creator handling a property. Look at Hulk or Thor. Look at Batman or WW. None of them are written consistently as their fanbases will be all too happy to complain about. You’re asking for something that’s not possible in Big 2 comics.
    There is consistency, it just varies on the editing and that's strictly comics. Hulk's a character who's created to be incredibly flexible with his mind and body. Batman will be consistent relying on the context of his books, in his solo books he's lower level in team books he's constantly written in a powerhouse in his own right. Fanbases complain when characters are badly written and disrespected, but sometimes disrespect is seen as not being invincible - which is not a valid complaint. Again, this isn't just about comics, it's about all media.