Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Two video games and one movie are not "so many". You're acting as if these are the only iterations of Superman in the mainstream. And the Injustice games had a good Superman in the first one.
    Those were just a couple of examples of the mainstream ones. Although I can’t think of many of examples of Superman in a mainstream DC property. Also, the Injustice games were still built around the evil Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I haven't seen superman-ish humour from anyone other than morrison or that guy that wrote green arrow where superman guest appears in rebirth. Superman doesn't do slapstick. He doesn't do humour. period. Last time, he did it was in donner movies in partial ways. I guarantee you superman wouldn't make it to top 10 action sequences of the decade.the thing that comes close is the plane rescue of superman returns. Then it didn't have much action. Snyder's superman movies action was just exhausting as a viewer, not engaging. Heck! Batman has had better action in games, snyder movies, animated series.. Etc. Btas is stylised and is presented in way great way. Superman tas? Not so much. Superman is modelled after john carter.Do you really believe the character does justice to john carter which spawned things like star wars? I certainly, feel otherwise. Sure there are great arcs with superman and new gods in postcrisis. But, new gods is a dcu ip and it ain't part of superman's verse. So superverse is essentially really limited.

Yeah! I Would rather he not. Especially, those batman/harley games. It's not doing anyone, any favours.
    Nope, it’s definitely still a you problem than a problem with Superman. It should be obvious why Superman doesn’t do slapstick of all things.

BANNED

I have reread Superman Unchained, the comic of 75 years of superman. shortly after starting the comic, they show you batman with an armor that escapes the senses of superman, that armor does not add anything to the story, it is only to show how incredible batman is. Shortly after Wraith appears, he has the same powers as superman and a few more, he says that superman also has those powers but he is too stupid to realize it. Wraith and superman begin to fight and superman wins, but the combat only ends with the wraithnite (a kind of kryptonite for Wraith) created by batman, once again it does not contribute anything to the story, only this to see how incredible batman is. In the end it turns out that Wraith is not bad, it is his species that uses him as a trojan horse and they are attacking the earth, the only way to stop them is for superman to sacrifice himself, but Wraith arrives, takes the place of superman, he sacrifices himself saving the earth and superman. it's his birthday comic, he has to show how incredible superman is, but they tell us that batman can create technology that escapes superman's powers, that superman is so stupid that he doesn't even know what powers he has, but above all that the hero doesn't It is the, if not wraith, not forgetting the constant delays, that turned the comic into a joke. It may be because of the lawsuits for rights, or because Superman is the face of the comics in a more childish stage, a stage that they deny a lot. but it is indisputable that dc is closer to hatred than to love.
    Last edited by NaVi; 11-01-2020 at 05:54 AM.

That's more a knock on Snyder's inability (at the time) to tell a landmark story of a DC hero outside the context of Batman as opposed to a "DC problem. Snyder is an agent of DC, but he doesn't represent DC at large.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Although I can’t think of many of examples of Superman in a mainstream DC property.
    This one sentence completely destroys your argument.

It should be obvious why Superman doesn’t do slapstick of all things.
    I think a young Superman story, circa 2011 Morrison reboot era, could benefit a lot from slapstick humor.

People have been complaining for decades that things come too easily for Superman. What fans could "relate to" is a story of a young Superman, trying to master his own developing gifts, go through ups and downs trying to do a lot of precise actions. I also keep insisting that Superman stories should have more realistic physics (not so much governing Superman himself, but on the objects he interacts with), so everything is harder for Superman without actually nerfing the character.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Two video games and one movie are not "so many". You're acting as if these are the only iterations of Superman in the mainstream. And the Injustice games had a good Superman in the first one.
    It's two movies, not one. And movies are the biggest possible mainstream exposure these characters can have. They shape the perception of the character in wider pop culture more than the comics do, which are only read by an increasingly niche crowd. The quantity may not be large, but the impact can still be substantial.

Superman still fares better than most in that he has the DTVs and the upcoming tv show, but all that (especially the former) is small potatoes compared to an embraced live action film which the IP very much needs. As do others that aren't Batman.

A good Superman in the first Injustice game is kind of half assed when he doesn't get as much attention as his evil counterpart and is then subsequently absent in the next installment, while another video game series is basing it's marketing so far around brainwashed killer Superman. It's very hard to ignore how obvious it is they keep going back to this lazy well.

Honestly, I kind tend to think Superman's one of the better handled characters in Injustice (At least as much as one can say there's any good handling of characters in the Injustice franchise). The whole first game revolves around only another Superman can stop Superman in addition to being pretty much the only Regime character where how he got from Point A to Point z is adequately explored in related media. Along with Batman and Quinn, he's one of the only characters who don't lose any sense of agency.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Nope, it’s definitely still a you problem than a problem with Superman. It should be obvious why Superman doesn’t do slapstick of all things.
    The character clark kent is based on harold Lloyd's glasses character. The type of humor that was used were slapstick as far as i am aware or seen or read(if i am wrong correct me).

Just look at the bottom panels. Clark doing clumsy act and humor.superman could have great humor. He doesn't even need dialogues.He is the man of action for a reason.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-01-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's two movies, not one. And movies are the biggest possible mainstream exposure these characters can have. They shape the perception of the character in wider pop culture more than the comics do, which are only read by an increasingly niche crowd. The quantity may not be large, but the impact can still be substantial.
    No, one movie. The gloominess really only applies to BvS.

Superman still fares better than most in that he has the DTVs and the upcoming tv show, but all that (especially the former) is small potatoes compared to an embraced live action film which the IP very much needs. As do others that aren't Batman.
    T.V. is not inferior to film. I'd have thought the past decades would have shown this.

A good Superman in the first Injustice game is kind of half assed when he doesn't get as much attention as his evil counterpart and is then subsequently absent in the next installment, while another video game series is basing it's marketing so far around brainwashed killer Superman. It's very hard to ignore how obvious it is they keep going back to this lazy well.
    You have one game where he is brainwashed something that happens to every superhero at one point or another and which Superman is no stranger to. Another game where him being evil is treated as an aberration. These aren't even a fraction of Superman content. It's easy to look like a well they keep going to when you focus solely on the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Honestly, I kind tend to think Superman's one of the better handled characters in Injustice (At least as much as one can say there's any good handling of characters in the Injustice franchise). The whole first game revolves around only another Superman can stop Superman in addition to being pretty much the only Regime character where how he got from Point A to Point z is adequately explored in related media. Along with Batman and Quinn, he's one of the only characters who don't lose any sense of agency.
    Also this. And I say that as someone who doesn't much like Injustice's story.

This one sentence completely destroys your argument.
    Not really. There aren't many examples of mainstream Superman media recently and a good part of the mainstream Superman media that is produced includes subverting the character.
    Last edited by KC; 11-01-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think a young Superman story, circa 2011 Morrison reboot era, could benefit a lot from slapstick humor.

People have been complaining for decades that things come too easily for Superman. What fans could "relate to" is a story of a young Superman, trying to master his own developing gifts, go through ups and downs trying to do a lot of precise actions. I also keep insisting that Superman stories should have more realistic physics (not so much governing Superman himself, but on the objects he interacts with), so everything is harder for Superman without actually nerfing the character.
    I think he could do that without the exaggeration of slapstick.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The character clark kent is based on harold Lloyd's glasses character. The type of humor that was used were slapstick as far as i am aware or seen or read(if i am wrong correct me).

Just look at the bottom panels. Clark doing clumsy act and humor.superman could have great humor. He doesn't even need dialogues.He is the man of action for a reason.
    I don't find that last sequence in any way funny so I am ok with them not using that type of humour.

Not really. There aren't many examples of mainstream Superman media recently
    He's been in three live action movies, at least four animated movies and is getting a t.v. show. What exactly is your idea of "many"?

and a good part of the mainstream Superman media that is produced includes subverting the character.[/QUOTE]

The only ones that did that are the Injustice games. If you're idea of subverting Superman is showing him as flawed and not able to so easily overcome his obstacles, then well over half of Superman stories since post crisis, at least, are "subverting him".