Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Had the pace of getting the swords been sped up, we'd have more time to actually explore the relationships between Apocalypse and his estranged family as well as explore the world of Amenth to understand how mutants really fit into it. Hell, we'd have more time to get to know more about Otherworld's convoluted politics.
    right? that's why I like it. I love world building and character stakes.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I’m ready for this crossover to end. It’s so boring.
    Looking at all your posts on this board, you are never positive about the X-Men and repeated that you dropped all books. So maybe this is not your cup of tea.

This crossover builds up well and I think that's good. Just 22 issues of plain fighting that would be boring. Think this quality approaches AoA, Messiah Complex and House of M.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 10-30-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxer View Post
    Its strange. There is a massive gap in quality, its hard to explain. The art is still quite good but it seems Gracia elevated Asrar's work to a new level it seems. I was just staring in awe at how vibrant the colors looked on Famine/Death in Stasis.
    It could just be the preview image quality! At first I thought Sunny Gho was more limited to ethereal painting type of stories/pencilers and then I remembered he colored Asrar in X-Men #8 and it was LOVELY and bold and had the Gracia blockbuster feel (minus his expertise in dramatic contrast lighting).

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I was referring to the graphics and stuff. They all seem to be made the same regardless of the artist of each comic.
    Tom Muller.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Had the pace of getting the swords been sped up, we'd have more time to actually explore the relationships between Apocalypse and his estranged family as well as explore the world of Amenth to understand how mutants really fit into it. Hell, we'd have more time to get to know more about Otherworld's convoluted politics.
    I get the feeling we may be getting to see a lot of this post event. Lots of goodies to play with here.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Some of the "just bleed" comic crowd is out I see. And people wonder why comics can't advance as entertainment in the US.

Anyways for fights to have meaning you need to build-up emotion and care for the characters in the story. You need to care why people are trying to rip each other heads off, It makes winning and losing more dramatic.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

That doesn't preclude things actually happening beforehand. Lord of The Rings is long as **** but things other than exposition did happen between the beginning and the end

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    That doesn't preclude things actually happening beforehand. Lord of The Rings is long as **** but things other than exposition did happen between the beginning and the end
    TRUE!
    Each of the halflings enjoyed about three 2nd breakfasts
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    TRUE!
    Each of the halflings enjoyed about three 2nd breakfasts
    The Wheel of Time series is very heavy on exposition too! It's a really long series!

If you go back and read the Dark Phoenix saga there was a lot of exposition that lead up to it, same with Inferno!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member

I hope when it comes to the fights they use smaller panels,split panels to convey a lot of the sword play and attacks.It has the potential to have the best, most badass fighting ever seen in X-Men lore.This is the epitome of sword and sorcery(superpowers)They need Manga or combat /hack and slash game consultants to help them with the kinetics and aesthetics. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Not the best example, perhaps. Most of the first book is the fellowship walking hundreds of leagues, stopping for lunch, then walking hundreds of leagues more.

Come on guys. This story was advertised as a tournament of sorts. Lets get the hell on with it. Maybe 1/3 of the event will be about the tournament. Sadly knowing marvel expect a bunch of 4-8 page fight scenes or something crappy. ( I hope I am wrong but i know I'm not...)

I seriously wonder if the people in marvel ever watched a tournament arc in an anime. The **** writes its self.

Also I'm not hating on exposition in general, but a good chunk of it is very boring. zzzzzz
    Mostly Otherworld and Saturnyne. I can not for the life of me figure out why they were attached to this event, because they brought nothing interesting to the table. I would rather read about the Arakii, Amenth,and Arakko.

Also I rather the story not be a crossover. Should of just had Hickman write 10-15 issues or so, with Larraz doing a bulk of the art. ( They also could of had 1 great artist do all the covers for the issues like David Finch did for Second Coming, but this is in no way necessary...) The other ongoing would closely tie into the story ( assuming there is a decent tie in story to tell). Then sell it in an omnibus or whatever.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Come on guys. This story was advertised as a tournament of sorts. Lets get the hell on with it. Maybe 1/3 of the event will be about the tournament. Sadly knowing marvel expect a bunch of 4-8 page fight scenes or something crappy. ( I hope I am wrong but i know I'm not...)

I seriously wonder if the people in marvel ever watched a tournament arc in an anime. The **** writes its self.

Also I'm not hating on exposition in general, but a good chunk of it is very boring. zzzzzz
    Mostly Otherworld and Saturnyne. I can not for the life of me figure out why they were attached to this event, because they brought nothing interesting to the table. I would rather read about the Arakii, Amenth,and Arakko.

Also I rather the story not be a crossover. Should of just had Hickman write 10-15 issues or so, with Larraz doing a bulk of the art. ( They also could of had 1 great artist do all the covers for the issues like David Finch did for Second Coming, but this is in no way necessary...) The other ongoing would closely tie into the story ( assuming there is a decent tie in story to tell). Then sell it in an omnibus or whatever.
    I mean, most tournament arcs are 60% exposition leading up to the fights.

YYH Dark Tournament
    Chunin Exams
    Martial Arts Tournament
    Heaven Arena

those all had tons of preamble before a burst of rounds and usually down time between each.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I mean, most tournament arcs are 60% exposition leading up to the fights.

YYH Dark Tournament
    Chunin Exams
    Martial Arts Tournament
    Heaven Arena

those all had tons of preamble before a burst of rounds and usually down time between each.
    If by preamble you mean a training arc b4 the tournament itself then yea that happens, but I would count that as part of the tournament arc. Like I wouldn't say Goku/Krillin training under Roshi was apart of the The World Martial Arts Tournament...

Downtime between rounds/stages/whatever is cool and necessary to build tension. In a preview we see Storm and Death conversing. It looks interesting. Would rather read more of that instead of 2 issues of Wolverine getting Muramasa or Storm going to Wakanda to get a sword. Not saying that it should of been off panel, but it could of just been tie in issues as I said in my prior post.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    right? that's why I like it. I love world building and character stakes.
    True, Wolverine taking 2 issues to get the sword as well as Doug taking an issue for a sword he had was poor distribution of time.I still think the best thing would have been is if half an issue is say Wolverine getting Muramasa ,the other half of the book have Solem get to go on his quest and they meet up in the end of the book.Then all other swords follow the same pattern half the book have Doug get his sword, the other Redroot come with her sword and so on.Though it's not too late to make issues 12-20 at least all about the fights with exposition happening through the fight itself