Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Mephisto is a major Ghost Rider enemy and has been a staple of the wider Marvel universe for decades. Even then, I don't see why being connected to the wider Marvel Universe is a requirement. Many of Marvel's greatest characters have little to no connection to the wider universe.
    I never said anything was a requirement. I'm also aware of Mephisto and his place in the MU. I'm saying there are different versions of who cursed the Rider, and straight up different versions of Hell. If you're going to have Hell in your books and set it in the MU you're adding or taking from established mythos. It's never quite clear in different Rider series, at least in more recent series, which Hell, which Devils/Satans/Big Bads are supposed to be the main one for Ghost Rider stories. From what I remember from the old classic run, The Rider would have run-ins with all kinds of characters like Mephisto, even driving around in the DreamWorld of Nightmare. I prefer this. I like the Rider interacting with Mephisto, BlackHeart, Dr Strange, Nightmare etc etc. All I'm saying is pick a version, stop changing things, and flesh out what you have.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I don't think Ghost Rider and Hulk is a 1:1 comparison in this. The Hulk is one of the biggest comic book characters of all time with a huge general audience that was reading the book before horror elements were added to it the way it was. It is easier to add horror elements into a book like that and maintain a portion of its audience than to convince a new audience to take a chance on a horror book. Furthermore, because it is the Hulk the portion that sticks around is likely be bigger than the number of literally everyone who tries a Ghost Rider book. In general, it seems to me that most horror books don't sell well, but if horror is injected into a book like Venom then people will buy and enjoy it. The list of failed horror books go on and on, Howling Commandos, Morbius, Monsters Unleashed, etc. It is a way bigger issue than just Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider is luckier than most, I suspect. I don't think the recent Werewolf by Night series is going to prove lucrative.

Now, this may be due to personal bias, but I do wonder if their failure is often because the horror elements in these books are often so soft and shallow. A lot of times despite being in the horror or supernatural sub-genre the books have a generic superhero tone. Hulk is the most uncompromised horror book since Carnage, I think, and both of those books sell/sold well.
    The complaint was about how Ghost Rider lacks tension because he's invincible, the Hulk has the same built in problems and it's not like his rogues gallery was stellar. The Ghost rider also never had an iconic tv show or decent movies. Horror hasn't been a consistent theme in Hulk books, he does have years where it's just action/adventure. But yeah, the horror elements have rarely been scary in GR books. Who's the current Hulk writer? Get him on GR.

Spectacular Member

Al Ewing is and that series wraps up at issue 50.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    The complaint was about how Ghost Rider lacks tension because he's invincible, the Hulk has the same built in problems and it's not like his rogues gallery was stellar. The Ghost rider also never had an iconic tv show or decent movies. Horror hasn't been a consistent theme in Hulk books, he does have years where it's just action/adventure. But yeah, the horror elements have rarely been scary in GR books. Who's the current Hulk writer? Get him on GR.
    I wasn't referencing that. I was referencing this, "The horror of Immortal Hulk shows that Marvel can do horror really well but Ghost Rider seems to always flounder."

My point was, the Hulk book and the Ghost Rider books are very different situations, to the point where you can't compare Ghost Rider's lack of success to Hulk's success. You did a good job pointing out other reasons as to why Hulk's success and failures can't be compared to Ghost Rider's.

Personally, I don't think Ghost Rider has to lean more into horror than it already does. I wouldn't complain, but that was mostly a criticism towards other horror books. Ghost Rider has, for as long as I've been reading it anyway, a distinctly Grindhouse/Exploitation feel that keeps it from feeling like a "generic superhero book with monsters." Even though writers often stick to the basics, I feel like anything can happen in a Ghost Rider book. Ghost Rider is a character that can fight a Sharknado, and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I think part of Lobo's success is embracing the inherent grindhouse-esque madness behind his conceit.

Who would you consider the Rider's arch-nemesis? Does he have one? Should he? Does he have a rogues gallery? Who do you consider the top villains?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Who would you consider the Rider's arch-nemesis? Does he have one? Should he? Does he have a rogues gallery? Who do you consider the top villains?
    Lilith and the Lilin
    Blackout
    Blackheart
    Mephisto
    Nightmare

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

How many hell based/sorcerers/magic users can Marvel have?

I mean Ghost Rider is an amazing concept but the last thing done with him that was remotely interesting was Cosmic Ghost Rider.

I think writers need to think outside of the box to utilize the character a bit, I mean he is the spirit vengeance why is he relegated to Earth? Why not elevate him to a cosmic level character where he goes all over the universe exacting vengeance on ne'er-do-wells?

Why can't he go seek vengeance on Skrulls, Kree, Shi'ar, Brood, Cotati and all the rest.

It can work if they rejigger him similar to Ewing and Immortal Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    How many hell based/sorcerers/magic users can Marvel have?
    How many characters with super strength, telepathy, energy projection, martial arts etc can they have? There is nothing new under the sun. Execution matters more than originality. It isn't like Marvel has a whole bunch of comics staring mystical or hellish characters at the moment anyway.

I mean Ghost Rider is an amazing concept but the last thing done with him that was remotely interesting was Cosmic Ghost Rider.

I think writers need to think outside of the box to utilize the character a bit, I mean he is the spirit vengeance why is he relegated to Earth? Why not elevate him to a cosmic level character where he goes all over the universe exacting vengeance on ne'er-do-wells?
    How is this making him unique? You just run the risk of him getting lost in the shuffle of Marvel's many, many cosmic characters.

Why can't he go seek vengeance on Skrulls, Kree, Shi'ar, Brood, Cotati and all the rest.
    Same reason Spider-Man doesn't normally fight those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How many characters with super strength, telepathy, energy projection, martial arts etc can they have? There is nothing new under the sun. Execution matters more than originality. It isn't like Marvel has a whole bunch of comics staring mystical or hellish characters at the moment anyway.

How is this making him unique? You just run the risk of him getting lost in the shuffle of Marvel's many, many cosmic characters.

Same reason Spider-Man doesn't normally fight those guys.
    And yet characters with super strength are so much more popular than Ghost Rider.

I just think it is more interesting to put a character like that in new situations, that's why when Spidey is in the War of The Realms or fighting with the X-Men is so fun

And yet characters with super strength are so much more popular than Ghost Rider.
    Some characters with some strength are more popular than Ghost Rider but there are a far more characters that have super strength who don't even come close to being as popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Some characters with some strength are more popular than Ghost Rider but there are a far more characters that have super strength who don't even come close to being as popular.
    Of course and that's the point - why can't a character who is unique like Ghost Rider not be as popular as some of the most boring super strong characters?

To me, it's because the stories he is usually in are boring and trite.

Why doesn't Ghost Rider battle it out with Thor on behalf of Hela and the Disir?

Why doesn't Ghost Rider fight Galactus for killing innocents for his hunger?

Why doesn't Ghost Rider fight Red Skull for his war crimes?

There is so much potential that is squandered on lame edge-lord angel of vengeance stories where he fights bikers and common criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    I always want to get into Ghost Rider but the recent comics don't hold my interest for long. I don't really care for Johnny Blaze as the Ghost Rider in modern comics, because he's such a product of his time, you have to get into the whole "he's a stunt cyclist for a circus" thing and that's kind of hokey to me and the whole King of Hell angle they gave him takes away from the whole "I'm cursed to become a demon" thing and any drama and pathos that brings. I prefer the Danny Ketch design but I don't even know what the character does when he's not Ghost Rider, does he even have a supporting cast? And then they made his whole backstory so complicated that they had to just ditch him for a while and create new Ghost Riders.

Never read the female GR and I'm kinda "meh" on Robbie Reyes
    I get what your saying. Johnny Blaze was great for a time, but Danny brought the character to the next level. Marvel should just let Johnny pass the torch to him, again. I also don't care for Robbie and Alejandra either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Nicolas Cage.

Ultimate Member

Of course and that's the point - why can't a character who is unique like Ghost Rider not be as popular as some of the most boring super strong characters?

To me, it's because the stories he is usually in are boring and trite.

Why doesn't Ghost Rider battle it out with Thor on behalf of Hela and the Disir?

Why doesn't Ghost Rider fight Galactus for killing innocents for his hunger?

Why doesn't Ghost Rider fight Red Skull for his war crimes?

There is so much potential that is squandered on lame edge-lord angel of vengeance stories where he fights bikers and common criminals.
    Because story telling requires tension. The more indestructible your character is, the harder it is to create tension. Being an anti-hero helps some, but isn't a cure all.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You think that is original? A "cosmic Ghost Rider" has been around since the 90's. Jim Valenetino created one in his 90's Guardians of the Galaxy book.