View Poll Results: Favorite Version of the Origin?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gods and Mortals

24 68.57%
  • The Legend of Wonder Woman (2016)

2 5.71%
  • True Amazon

0 0%
  • Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1

0 0%
  • Year One

8 22.86%
  • Other: (specify)

1 2.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Preferred Origin Story?

Since it seems DC is going with Wonder Woman debuting in WW2 will toss out Year One, thought I'd ask what's your favorite story dealing with Diana's origin. Tried to list as many of the major comics one I could think of but also included "Other" if I forgot one or if you think the best telling of it was in another medium (the movie, the 70s show pilot, the '09 film, etc).

Edit: Forgot to put this. Gods and Mortals for me with Legend of Wonder Woman and Year One competing the for follow-up (depends on the day or mood I'm in honestly).
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-30-2020 at 06:54 AM.

If Gods and Mortals is the Perez Post Crisis version, then I’ll be voting for that one.
    Just wanna make sure first.

Edit:
    Saw your answer, ty.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-30-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    If Gods and Mortals is the Perez Post Crisis version, then I’ll be voting for that one.
    Just wanna make sure first.
    Yes, it is.

Gods and Mortals.

Incredible Member

Of the options provided, Year One. I'm not familiar with the Gods and Mortals origin.

In general, I love the Wonder Woman 2017 origin. I prefer an origin with no contest and where Diana steals her armor and leaves without her Mother's approval.

Most of these have their strong and weak points. I think Rucka's Year One has the best balance between strong storytelling, presenting Diana, presenting the Amazons, presenting supporting characters, and themes.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Most of these have their strong and weak points. I think Rucka's Year One has the best balance between strong storytelling, presenting Diana, presenting the Amazons, presenting supporting characters, and themes.
    Year One was my follow-up for the most reasons but I think it works better when read in the context of the rest of Rucka's second run rather than as something entirely standalone like most of the others.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I went with Year One because I felt that while it didn't explicitly say so, it built on Perez'z Gods & Mortals thus giving both stories credit for being the best origin for Diana.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Gods and Mortals with Year One as a follow up.

Legend of WW. Clay origin plus youthful Steve Trevor = winner for me.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I went with Year One because I felt that while it didn't explicitly say so, it built on Perez'z Gods & Mortals thus giving both stories credit for being the best origin for Diana.
    Yeah, Year One would be my pick with Gods and Mortals after.

I like the latter a lot still, especially in terms of art, but the former being more streamlined and modern makes it an easier read to recommend to newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yes, it certainly is a remix of Gods and Mortals that has it's ups over it such as putting Steve back in his traditional role and adding in Barbara. Though I think I give it more to Perez as I think the ending is a bit stronger.

Gods and Mortals is perfect as far as I'm concerned. Year One is great but not quite as satisfying because of the animal gods but the explanations for the Invisible Jet and Diana's uniform make up for that.

Year One for a modern origin, Legend of Wonder Woman for WWII Diana.

New 52, all the way!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!