Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default Mythology Thread

This week I learned about Loki being the mom of Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged horse, as well as being the dad of the Fenris wolf and the Midgard Serpent. If you're interested in sharing trivia from Norse/Greek/African myths or are good at telling tall tales let's do it here.

Loki is the father of Hela but in the MCU films, Hela's father is Odin.

Orion was born when Zeus, Poseidon and Hermes urinated on a bull's carcass.

Well, while doing research for my new book, I learned that Hades IS NOT an Olympian. He doesn't have a seat at that table and his realm is considered an ally but separate and independent realm. Even his sacrifices are different from sacrifices to Olympians.
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TerryAce View Post
    Well, while doing research for my new book, I learned that Hades IS NOT an Olympian. He doesn't have a seat at that table and his realm is considered an ally but separate and independent realm. Even his sacrifices are different from sacrifices to Olympians.
    That always interested me. I've seen some interpretations where Poseidon is also not an Olympian, but primarily keeps to his own realm as well (although he's less the recluse than Hades). In such interpretations, Thetis almost functions as Poseidon's envoy to Olympus.

Another that interested me about Hades is that he wasn't looked on as malevolent by the Greeks (or at least, no more so than most other deities). You didn't want to cross him, but he was a beneficent lord to the just and humble when they entered his realm. I suppose its an American thing that we've tended to conflate Hades with Lucifer.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That always interested me. I've seen some interpretations where Poseidon is also not an Olympian, but primarily keeps to his own realm as well (although he's less the recluse than Hades). In such interpretations, Thetis almost functions as Poseidon's envoy to Olympus.

Another that interested me about Hades is that he wasn't looked on as malevolent by the Greeks (or at least, no more so than most other deities). You didn't want to cross him, but he was a beneficent lord to the just and humble when they entered his realm. I suppose its an American thing that we've tended to conflate Hades with Lucifer.
    Some think that stories link in a way that Hades and Dionysus are the same god its not a far reach that the god of the underword/god of hedonism would become the Devil. I don't think it's an American thing more a Greek/Roman convert to Christianity thing.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

One of the things I have come to appreciate more is Tolkein's inclusion of horses in his mythology, which he borrowed right from the Norse myths. Horses are super important in those sagas.

As far as trivia, Thor and Heimdall are both sons of Odin.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Thor eats his two goats every night. Then resurrects them each morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Loki is the father of Hela but in the MCU films, Hela's father is Odin.
    Also in Norse Mythology Loki is Odin's "Blood Brother" and not his son as in the Marvel Universe. Also Frigga is not Thor's mother it is Jörð.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Also in Norse Mythology Loki is Odin's "Blood Brother" and not his son as in the Marvel Universe. Also Frigga is not Thor's mother it is Jörð.
    Also, Ullr is both someone old enough to rule in Odin's stead when he is sleeping, and also young enough to be Sif's son.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Man, if Hela were Loki's daughter in the MCU that would have been a really interesting twist. Surprise!

But to do that, both Loki and Thor would have had to have been nearly as old as Odin and the characters would have had hardly any possible development. After a life of umpteen thousands of years, what else is there to develop?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Sif is a blonde, agricultural goddess not a black-haired warrior goddess.

Boisterously Confused

Many of the great Greek heroes, like Jason, met bad ends after committing the sin of hubris (AKA, getting too big for their britches in the gods' eyes). Bellerophon is a standout.

After destroying The Chimera, he decided he'd invite himself to drop in on Olympus. When he flew Pegasus too near, Zeus popped a thunderclap in front of the stallion, startling him into bucking Bellerophon off. It was a long way down.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 11-03-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It was a long way down.
    What a view though.

Raijin, the Japanese God of Thunder and Storms is sad to eat children that do not hide their belly buttons.