Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Barry and Iris were already engaged before he got his powers, so I would think they were together.
    Hmmm. Is that something that was retconned? In Barry's first appearance (Showcase #4), Iris is described as his "date" and "lovely companion," but I'm not sure where the engagement came up. I'm still in 1959 in my rereading, so haven't gotten to The Brave and The Bold 28 yet, so I can't say for sure.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 11-01-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Hmmm. Is that something that was retconned? In Barry's first appearance (Showcase #4), Iris is described as his "date" and "lovely companion," but I'm not sure where the engagement came up. I'm still in 1959 in my rereading, so haven't gotten to The Brave and The Bold 28 yet, so I can't say for sure.
    I read the Silver Age Flash omnibuses several months back, and I just remember them always being engaged. Possibly I'm mistaken, but if they weren't engaged right off, I think it must happen soon, and I believe it was a low key change that happened off panel. I'd love to hear what you find if you don't mind following up on it when you get the details.

Extraordinary Member

I didn't care for it but I grew up with JLA Satellite years being my favorite book. I didn't like revamping that origin (although with the changes that had been made to Wonder Woman, I knew it was necessary).

Loved Kitson's art and it was nice seeing Hal again, but that was about it.

I don't think it is bad. But I mean, its peers are a battle against a giant starfish, a battle against a Pale Martian incursion, or a battle against Generic parademons and Darkseid by a very junior group of people cosplaying as the League

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I agree that Brave and the Bold was the superior story. I think JLA Year One is fine, but it's hamstrung by Carlin's frankly idiotic insistence that Wonder Woman couldn't be a founding member anymore because of a years old retcon that had since outlived it

Retired

Um, the Starfish story--a.k.a THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28 (February-March 1960)--was the first appearance of the Justice League of America, but it wasn't their origin story. That wasn't revealed until JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 9 (February 1962)--that's the Appellaxian origin story. I believe that the Geoff Johns origin is supposed to be a kind of rewrite of that. Steve Englehart wrote a prequel to the origin, respecting the period, in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 144 (July 1977). That one had white Martians in it, curiously. So it's kind of like NEW FRONTIER meets the Grant Morrison JLA origin/first appearance.