Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are humans so gullible that they fall for this kind of scam?

Indian doctor duped into buying 'Aladdin's lamp' for $4,150

So Aladdin's Lamp doesn't exist, does it?

You'd think a doctor is too smart to let himself get scammed.

Four grand though, that’s pretty good for a magic lamp!

i bet he could wish for his money back.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

You know, I could see a prop lamp from the recent Will Smith Aladdin film being sold at auction for well over $4,000.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

What do you call the person who graduated bottom of their class in med school?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    What do you call the person who graduated bottom of their class in med school?
    Donald Trump's new Pandemic Advisor, (Dr. Atlas)
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

I once read that Ronald Reagan's personal psychiatrist fell for a "Nigerian Prince" scam on an early version of the Internet.

The title of the article says it was actually $41,600. Of course, the real gullibility is believing magic is real. The rest is just a symptom. Still, if we're talking Barbara Eden circa 1965, I'd take the chance.
    Power with Girl is better.

Intelligence doesn't necessarily translate to wisdom or common sense.
    Con men love to manipulate so-called smart people. They often believe themselves smarter than everyone around them and so tend to ignore advice and act impulsively.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Intelligence doesn't necessarily translate to wisdom or common sense.
    Con men love to manipulate so-called smart people. They often believe themselves smarter than everyone around them and so tend to ignore advice and act impulsively.
    Yeah. If the magic lamp was real, the con men would rather use it than selling it for a few thousand dollars. Anyone can figure it out. That is common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The title of the article says it was actually $41,600. Of course, the real gullibility is believing magic is real. The rest is just a symptom. Still, if we're talking Barbara Eden circa 1965, I'd take the chance.
    Apparently the editor must have made a correction to the article after I posted it here.

But yea, if it was real, why would anyone sell a magic lamp for a few thousand dollars when they can use it for themselves

Yeah. If the magic lamp was real, the con men would rather use it than selling it for a few thousand dollars. Anyone can figure it out. That is common sense

Apparently the editor must have made a correction to the article after I posted it here.

But yea, if it was real, why would anyone sell a magic lamp for a few thousand dollars when they can use it for themselves
    The magic lamp only grants each owner 3 wishes...”I’ve had mine so I’m passing it on...”

The key to not falling for cons is often not to get involved in conversation...the con artist always has an answer...just go with your instant gut feeling (“it it sounds too good to be true it’s a con”) and shut down conversation straightaway.

I loathe con artists...they have a knack for seeking out people when they are most vulnerable.

Extraordinary Member

Humans are that gullible. Kryptonians, OTOH, never would have fallen for that. Martians too. And Durlans. None of them would fall for that.

Oh don't be silly. It's not like in "I Dream of Jeannie". When a real genie or djinn shows up, they always corrupt the intent of the wishes and make them into a living hell. Far better to sell it and let somebody else be the chump.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The magic lamp only grants each owner 3 wishes...”I’ve had mine so I’m passing it on...”

The key to not falling for cons is often not to get involved in conversation...the con artist always has an answer...just go with your instant gut feeling (“it it sounds too good to be true it’s a con”) and shut down conversation straightaway.

I loathe con artists...they have a knack for seeking out people when they are most vulnerable.
    The sad part, in the real world, is that, when you try to save people from being conned out of their money, they look at you as the villain for saying mean things about that nice, well-meaning Jim Baker or Oral Roberts or Pat Robertson or whoever the latest conman fleecing old ladies out of their savings is.

Well MLM's pyramid schemes are still rampant in the U.S and over seas so people still fall for scams all the time.