Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Miles is probably more accessible as he's got his own supporting cast. Spider-Gwen is in an alternate world which doesn't appeal as much to new readers.

The creative teams are different. Bendis is a bigger writer than Latour. Pichelli and Marquez are bigger artists than Latour.
    That second mention of Latour should be Rodriguez.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's basically become the franchises Batgirl.
    Ha, true - she actually has a LOT in common with Barbara, as they're both daughters of cops. And the original Spider-Gwen artist just drew Batgirl #48 and #49.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Mayday Parker is Helena Wayne in that she introduced the title and alter-ego that was inserted into the main continuity under a different character. Helena Wayne was Huntress first, and then in the main continuity you had Helena Bertinelli as the Huntress, just like Spider-Girl was given to Anya Corazon.

Though in Mayday's case, she was still the bigger deal. Helena Wayne never made it to 100 issues the way Spider-Girl did (the first and only female superhero, so far, to make it to 100 issues in an ongoing).
    First and only Marvel superheroine, yeah. Carol is only past 100 in legacy numbering, not in a single continuous series - the same goes for She-Hulk. Of course, Wonder Woman can also claim the 100 issue record. It's actually several hundred, so she'll probably never be beaten.

To be honest, she's kind of the Bette in this instance since she went by "Spider-Woman" before becoming "Ghost Spider" because Spider-Woman ended up being taken on 616 by another character. Like Bette went from "Bat-Girl" to "Flamebird."
    Not quite. Being Spider-Woman was fine when she was on Earth-65. The name change came about because Jessica had been Spider-Woman since before she got her powers. Which was fine when they were in separate universes, but when Gwen started commuting to 616... of course the Spider-Gwen name for her comic was used for the same reason - Jessica had a book that launched just a few months earlier.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Nor Ben Reilly.
    I like Ben but his storyline being tied into the Anti-Mary Jane cabal at Marvel led to his undoing.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Because Spider-Gwen is a stupid and useless character, an alternate version of a beloved character that already existed for years. Miles is Miles, he's not a knock-off Peter Parker.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

I'm mean I'd say Gwen has done pretty good for herself. Already has appeared in TV, movies, games, and multiple comics. I'd she's doing better than a lot of other characters. Of course the OP asked why Miles has been more successful? Maybe more just know and like him more? Plus it's not really a race. New characters aren't created to just automatically be more popular than old characters

Miles just had more things in his favor.

1) He had the power of Bendis supporting him. Say what you want about Bendis but the guy was the hottest thing in comics at one point and his name has weight.

2) The multicultural aspect drew people in.

3) He is based off “Spider-Man”’ where as spider Gwen is based off a character that many new fans don’t even know about.

I feel Spider-Gwen has done well though. She’s never going to catch up to Miles but she hasn’t exactly flopped either. Also I’m sure she reaches a demographic that Miles most likely doesn’t in younger girls.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I like Ben but his storyline being tied into the Anti-Mary Jane cabal at Marvel led to his undoing.
    I don't think they are Anti-Mary Jane per see rather they are Anti-Marriage with anyone, but I digress.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-02-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

There's various issues with that...Gwen's original supporting cast was made out of AU characters from 616, including characters more associated with Peter, so they'd have to be ditched like they were with Miles (but without a Ganke to make up for that), and she and her dad are both dead in 616 and I don't think they'd undo that for another world merger.
    This right here. Even if her universe was merged, how do you bring The Mary Janes of her world (MJ, Betty, Glory) over to the main marvel universe if their adult selves already exist here?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    This right here. Even if her universe was merged, how do you bring The Mary Janes of her world (MJ, Betty, Glory) over to the main marvel universe if their adult selves already exist here?
    I guess rename them as different characters? Maybe make EmJay Kristy Watson and she named the band after her aunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    That movie would have been out for almost 3 months now if not for 2020, Venom: Let There Be Carnage would have already been out a month now too.
    Shows how much I'm not paying attention, didn't know a sequel to Venom was announced too lol.

They have a lot in common in that both were created in connection with Peter's death. But I mainly think its because Miles is a man. In comics, male heroes tend to be more popular because its mostly men who read them.

I like Spider-Gwen, though, especially the version in ITSV. But even that version, as interesting as she is, played second fiddle to Miles. And Miles played second fiddle to Peter. SG is thrice removed from the main guy!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Shows how much I'm not paying attention, didn't know a sequel to Venom was announced too lol.
    After how sucessfull was Venom, is not really a surprise. Seriously, i still can't believe that iy happened. Also it probably cemented the idea of Venom being a good guy from now on.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    They have a lot in common in that both were created in connection with Peter's death. But I mainly think its because Miles is a man. In comics, male heroes tend to be more popular because its mostly men who read them.

I like Spider-Gwen, though, especially the version in ITSV. But even that version, as interesting as she is, played second fiddle to Miles. And Miles played second fiddle to Peter. SG is thrice removed from the main guy!
    Doesn't help that after saving Peter and Miles when they're escaping from Alchemax, Gwen's just, kinda there, making her no more important than the other Spiders, who are only there for the movie to have a reason to be called "Spider-Verse" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    After how sucessfull was Venom, is not really a surprise. Seriously, i still can't believe that iy happened.
    I hear it was successful, though I didn't watch it yet. Friend of mine who watched said it was pretty whatever, then again, most MCU movies are pretty whatever too, so it's not far fetched that Venom worked lol.

Also it probably cemented the idea of Venom being a good guy from now on.
    Probably, this might be like, the second time Venom isn't a villain in an adaptation outside of comics, 90's cartoon being the other one, but he did start as a villain there... We'll see how later adaptations use him though.

Thing that sucks the most about this is that it pushes this idea that Eddie is the only Venom, and while for a long time he was the only good one, we had Flash... Wonder if adaptations that give Flash a symbiote will get around this, maybe making him into Anti-Venom (Which was nice, even though that lasted for 5 minutes), or by giving him Toxin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Doesn't help that after saving Peter and Miles when they're escaping from Alchemax, Gwen's just, kinda there, making her no more important than the other Spiders, who are only there for the movie to have a reason to be called "Spider-Verse" lol.

I hear it was successful, though I didn't watch it yet. Friend of mine who watched said it was pretty whatever, then again, most MCU movies are pretty whatever too, so it's not far fetched that Venom worked lol.

Probably, this might be like, the second time Venom isn't a villain in an adaptation outside of comics, 90's cartoon being the other one, but he did start as a villain there... We'll see how later adaptations use him though.

Thing that sucks the most about this is that it pushes this idea that Eddie is the only Venom, and while for a long time he was the only good one, we had Flash... Wonder if adaptations that give Flash a symbiote will get around this, maybe making him into Anti-Venom (Which was nice, even though that lasted for 5 minutes), or by giving him Toxin.
    Is nothing impressive to be honest, is actually kind of dumb (even for superhero standards), i think that the dynamic of Venom and Eddie is what sold it to many people, otherwise is pretty average.

I'm ambivalent with FlashVenom to be honest, i still haven't make my mind about it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

When another Marvel line falls, Spider-Man is usually the last thing standing, seriously it always happen 2099, Noir, Ultimate lol.
    It begins with a spider and it always ends with a spider. The last sound we’re gonna hear at the heat death of the universe is thwip.

Is nothing impressive to be honest, is actually kind of dumb (even for superhero standards), i think that the dynamic of Venom and Eddie is what sold it to many people, otherwise is pretty average.
    That sounds like the ASM movies, with Peter and "Gwen" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It begins with a spider and it always ends with a spider. The last sound we’re gonna hear at the heat death of the universe is thwip.
    And then he'll be the Galactus of the next universe .

I expect super-hero comic books to die off someday, and I'm sure Spidey will be the last one from 616 standing for a while, if history is any hint lol.