Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

People like to undersell Gwen's success by comparing her to Miles and say that she just isn't as good, or comparing her to the original Gwen Stacy. To be quite honest, I think both arguments are a bit silly since they rely on the comparison to say one is bad and the other is good. You can compare Gwen to a lot of other Marvel characters, both from the same time and even before her, that don't have nearly the staying power she has had. Sure, she may be "just" an alternate version of the main Gwen. But that will only last as the new generations grow up and get to know her. For a lot of people already, Spider-Gwen is not "an alternate Gwen" but simply Gwen Stacy, and as cartoons like Marvel's Spider-Man continue to push that narrative, and her silhouette just shadows over the original Gwen Stacy, then people will just have to accept she already surpassed her.

Her success can be attributed to a number of reasons. Honestly. But I think we are underestimating her. Miles was the protagonist of a movie where Gwen was only a secondary character (and she still managed to steal lots of spotlight) and he now has a game incoming. These two factors are rather recent, but have helped to push Miles massively and we could just as easily eventually have something similar with Gwen. While I don't think the Spider-Women movie will be as good as Spider-Verse, or that we won't have a Spider-Man: Ghost-Spider game, its actually far more possible than what I give it credit for.

TL;DR: Gwen's successful.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And faster then bigger names like Harley Quinn.
    I'm glad she's not being pushed as hard as Harley at least...

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Honestly real question is why Gwen had taking off more than Cindy, Anya, Jess, and basically any other female spider hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Honestly real question is why Gwen had taking off more than Cindy, Anya, Jess, and basically any other female spider hero?
    Probably because she had some recognition for being Peter's love interest in the ASM movies and Spectacular, despite her death and lack of character focus in the comics, and her cool costume and stylized AU stood out compared to the more "standard" Spider-Women.

And even if she hasn't actually been portrayed that way, she can naturally fit into a kind of Batgirl role in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh, it gave us a good movie, so good for that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

The costume and science-based origin, which makes her an easy Spider-branded-analogue.

Even before Spider-verse, Marvel was pushing Miles and Gwen as more closely-tied members of the Spider franchise.

Besides added diversity, they just look more like Spider-man.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-07-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Eh, it gave us a good movie, so good for that.
    In before we get A-Force and the sensational spidering of one Gwen Stacy .
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The costume and science-based origin, which makes her an easy Spider-branded-analogue.
    Anya's the only one whose origin is mystical (if I remember right).

BANNED

Anya's the only one whose origin is mystical (if I remember right).
    Has any of the mystical Spider-man stuff been popular?

Has any of the mystical Spider-man stuff been popular?
    It probably depends on who you ask, although as a whole I guess I would say not for anyone except Anya.

BANNED

I don't know if it makes her look more feminine. I think the suit colors look more feminine than the hood does, especially when Ben Reilly has also sported a hood as well.

Although exposed hair is pretty common among female Superheroes.
    The bald look (no hair exposed) looks more masculine than the exposed-hair look. The hood hides takes away from some of that masculinity on a female character, by covering what looks bald.

No, this does not translate to male characters with hoods, who just look more urban or stealthy.

The original "solution" to masculinity issue for the Spider-women was exposed hair, but the hood is a better "solution."

May has a more masculine look than Gwen due to lack of a hood, but still better than exposed hair.

BANNED

No wonder Gwen wears the hood .

Although I do think long hair flying while web-swinging is a nice visual .

She's also not even 1% as annoying as current Harley, so there's that too.

Cool design is like, 70% of the reason for it, having Gwen's name is the rest.

Probably because she had some recognition for being Peter's love interest in the ASM movies and Spectacular, despite her death and lack of character focus in the comics, and her cool costume and stylized AU stood out compared to the more "standard" Spider-Women.

And even if she hasn't actually been portrayed that way, she can naturally fit into a kind of Batgirl role in the franchise.
    To be fair, how many people are even aware of the kind of AU she lives in? Sure, comic fans know, but what does the public know about her outside of "Peter died in her world"?

Even before Spider-verse, Marvel was pushing Miles and Gwen as more closely-tied members of the Spider franchise.

Besides added diversity, they just look more like Spider-man.
    Science based origin is nothing, since only Mattie and Anya have magic based origins, Jessica, Julia and Cindy have some science going on, and they're still not really known.

It probably depends on who you ask, although as a whole I guess I would say not for anyone except Anya.
    Yeah only Anya managed to make it work, when JMS tried that with Spidey it wasn't liked (Personally I don't mind it too much, just have a problem with Peter being some chosen one), and Mattie... She just got it from that Gathering Five ritual, which just vaguely gives power, and she just happened to get Spider-related ones, plus I think there was something about her stealing Charlotte's power, who had stolen Jessica's and Julia's? I dunno... It was convoluted lol.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    Because Spider-Gwen is a stupid and useless character, an alternate version of a beloved character that already existed for years. Miles is Miles, he's not a knock-off Peter Parker.
    Miles is better than Peter, Peter in the MCU in just a ripoff of Miles when Miles was written by Bendis, clearly they see Miles as better, Disney dumb for not using him before Spider verse did and we see how that worked out.

Spectacular Member

Gwen didn't steal anything. Everyone is talking about how great Miles story is and with Gwen they just saying how hot they think a cartoon is.