Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superheat View Post
    Miles is better than Peter, Peter in the MCU in just a ripoff of Miles when Miles was written by Bendis, clearly they see Miles as better, Disney dumb for not using him before Spider verse did and we see how that worked out.
    I think that's jut a result of Jon Watts taking a lot of inspiration from Ultimate Spider-Man for the MCU take.

Granted he also enjoyed Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane but that didn't seem to impact the film and character portrayals at all.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I wish Arana took off more than she did.

Gwen is a great addition, though.
    Miles was just first and came out of a death of the main character of the most popular run throughout the 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Anya has always felt like a case of bad timing. To a degree she felt ahead of her time.

Araña lasted 12 issues, which for a new character, who also happens to be a teenage girl and a latina, nowadays would be considered a success. At the time, Marvel didn't had a lot of ongoing series with female leads (the only other ones that were running were She-Hulk and Rogue, and there were Black Widow, Jubilee and X-23 minis during that year). Nowadays not only is Marvel better with the female rep, but they're much better at giving continuity to this newer characters. After Araña ended there where zero plans about what to do next with her, Brian Reed got permission to remove her powers because they had no idea what to with her by that point.

Then there is her relaunch as Spider-Girl. Again, it feels ahead of it's time. Nowadays there is much bigger acceptance at relaunching new legacy characters. Would characters like Kamala, Moon Girl or even Carol as Captain Marvel had a better reception in 2005 or even 2010?

Just to compare how different things were at the time: the same year Spider-Girl released there was a new Black Widow comic. It sold badly and was also cancelled by issue 8. By their 8th issue BW just sold around 2000 more copies than SG's 8th. You also have to consider here that BW had the plus of just making here big screen debut in Iron Man 2, and yet it still sold poorly. That just gives you a general idea of how the market was at the time.

BANNED

I am surprised people never mention this, but the answer I think is quite simple. Miles's books are just far better than Gwen could ever hope to be. Miles books at it's best is just the best superhero origin out there. Bendis, Sara Pitchelli, and Dave Marquez just knock the books out of the park with how well written his origin is. So even people who hate him will have nothing to say if his origin is that well written between Superhero and Soap Opera trajectory. The only downside is Bendis never develop any villains for him, but at the other hand because he never develop villains he has better run to develop his character.

On the other hand, Gwen start is rougher and more uninteresting. She had a freedom of coming from alternate universe, but never really took off because her book is just plainly not really that good. Not to mention scandal with her editor making it buying her bok quite hard, but that's another case. So the point is that Miles took off because he has better story for his foot to settle on while Gwen does not.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Yeah, sucks that she pretty much lost her chance, there weren't many active Spider-People around back when she was created, even less post Grim Hunt, since that story pretty much made it so there's only one Spider-Woman, and one Spider-Girl, since Mattie was killed and Julia became Madame Web, I'm sure now that was done specifically to have one of each and nothing more, and while I don't like they killed Mattie for that if I'm right, it gave Anya an opportunity, and she didn't take off then either, nowadays she's redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Anya has always felt like a case of bad timing. To a degree she felt ahead of her time.

Araña lasted 12 issues, which for a new character, who also happens to be a teenage girl and a latina, nowadays would be considered a success. At the time, Marvel didn't had a lot of ongoing series with female leads (the only other ones that were running were She-Hulk and Rogue, and there were Black Widow, Jubilee and X-23 minis during that year). Nowadays not only is Marvel better with the female rep, but they're much better at giving continuity to this newer characters. After Araña ended there where zero plans about what to do next with her, Brian Reed got permission to remove her powers because they had no idea what to with her by that point.
    Never understood why they specifically wanted her to lose powers, it's not like Anya was strong enough to outshine Carol.

Anyways, technically she got 18 issues, since the first 6 issues of Amazing Fantasy were popular enough for her to get her own ongoing, which was impressive enough, 'cause the other characters from AF didn't exactly get that much, Amadeus Cho is the one who had it best, and he didn't get his own comic for a long time, though he was one of the protagonists of Incredible Hercules, which was Hulk's comic but he was out of the picture post World War Hulk, but he was being used alongside a more well known character while also being in a popular title.

Another thing, but kinda minor, that Araña was ahead was using manga influences, I'm sure Lynn would be more noticeable for obviously being into anime since once in a while she speaks Japanese at random lol.

Then there is her relaunch as Spider-Girl. Again, it feels ahead of it's time. Nowadays there is much bigger acceptance at relaunching new legacy characters. Would characters like Kamala, Moon Girl or even Carol as Captain Marvel had a better reception in 2005 or even 2010?
    Carol is a weirder case, since nobody else was using the "Captain Marvel" title for years by that time, so it'd be unlikely to have much controversy.

Though I wonder how fans reacted when Monica became Captain Marvel back then, she got the title in the same year Mar-Vell died.

Just to compare how different things were at the time: the same year Spider-Girl released there was a new Black Widow comic. It sold badly and was also cancelled by issue 8. By their 8th issue BW just sold around 2000 more copies than SG's 8th. You also have to consider here that BW had the plus of just making here big screen debut in Iron Man 2, and yet it still sold poorly. That just gives you a general idea of how the market was at the time.
    To be fair, it's not like movies increase the sales of comics, or not by a noticeable margin, Avengers are like, the biggest super-hero team name Marvel has right now, and their comic sales just doesn't tend to be impressive even after that.

Either way, even if the ideas that were used with Anya were ahead of their time, the writing quality just wasn't good enough to keep her afloat, both in Araña and Spider-Girl, and Spider-Girl did some serious damage to her, killing her father makes her world even smaller, and she already lost a lot, and the powers she got at the end of it are basically "Spider-Man+Organic webs+camouflage", or Venom without the symbiote... Even back then that was bad because it made her powers not stand out from Peter's, nowadays it's even worse since we have Miles, Cindy and Gwen around.

Really sucks that after her comics, they didn't know what the hell they wanted to do with Anya, but they kicked her out of Spider-Society just in case to give her a blank slate, and almost 15 years later they still don't know what the **** to do, so she's a damaged character with no supporting cast, no rogues gallery, and redundant since there's other Spider-People with more anything else than her... Pretty sure I said it before, but she's cursed even by a Spider-Woman's standards, still has it better than Charlotte and Mattie at least, even if that's scrapping the bottom of the abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I am surprised people never mention this, but the answer I think is quite simple. Miles's books are just far better than Gwen could ever hope to be. Miles books at it's best is just the best superhero origin out there. Bendis, Sara Pitchelli, and Dave Marquez just knock the books out of the park with how well written his origin is. So even people who hate him will have nothing to say if his origin is that well written between Superhero and Soap Opera trajectory. The only downside is Bendis never develop any villains for him, but at the other hand because he never develop villains he has better run to develop his character.

On the other hand, Gwen start is rougher and more uninteresting. She had a freedom of coming from alternate universe, but never really took off because her book is just plainly not really that good. Not to mention scandal with her editor making it buying her bok quite hard, but that's another case. So the point is that Miles took off because he has better story for his foot to settle on while Gwen does not.
    Really? I found Miles' origin one of his weaker aspects, his guilt complex for becoming Spider-Man is even more nonsensical than Peter's, guy thinks he's a coward even though he tried to help Spider-Man as soon as he heard Spidey was in danger? Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah, sucks that she pretty much lost her chance, there weren't many active Spider-People around back when she was created, even less post Grim Hunt, since that story pretty much made it so there's only one Spider-Woman, and one Spider-Girl, since Mattie was killed and Julia became Madame Web, I'm sure now that was done specifically to have one of each and nothing more, and while I don't like they killed Mattie for that if I'm right, it gave Anya an opportunity, and she didn't take off then either, nowadays she's redundant.

Never understood why they specifically wanted her to lose powers, it's not like Anya was strong enough to outshine Carol.

Anyways, technically she got 18 issues, since the first 6 issues of Amazing Fantasy were popular enough for her to get her own ongoing, which was impressive enough, 'cause the other characters from AF didn't exactly get that much, Amadeus Cho is the one who had it best, and he didn't get his own comic for a long time, though he was one of the protagonists of Incredible Hercules, which was Hulk's comic but he was out of the picture post World War Hulk, but he was being used alongside a more well known character while also being in a popular title.

Another thing, but kinda minor, that Araña was ahead was using manga influences, I'm sure Lynn would be more noticeable for obviously being into anime since once in a while she speaks Japanese at random lol.

Carol is a weirder case, since nobody else was using the "Captain Marvel" title for years by that time, so it'd be unlikely to have much controversy.

Though I wonder how fans reacted when Monica became Captain Marvel back then, she got the title in the same year Mar-Vell died.

To be fair, it's not like movies increase the sales of comics, or not by a noticeable margin, Avengers are like, the biggest super-hero team name Marvel has right now, and their comic sales just doesn't tend to be impressive even after that.

Either way, even if the ideas that were used with Anya were ahead of their time, the writing quality just wasn't good enough to keep her afloat, both in Araña and Spider-Girl, and Spider-Girl did some serious damage to her, killing her father makes her world even smaller, and she already lost a lot, and the powers she got at the end of it are basically "Spider-Man+Organic webs+camouflage", or Venom without the symbiote... Even back then that was bad because it made her powers not stand out from Peter's, nowadays it's even worse since we have Miles, Cindy and Gwen around.

Really sucks that after her comics, they didn't know what the hell they wanted to do with Anya, but they kicked her out of Spider-Society just in case to give her a blank slate, and almost 15 years later they still don't know what the **** to do, so she's a damaged character with no supporting cast, no rogues gallery, and redundant since there's other Spider-People with more anything else than her... Pretty sure I said it before, but she's cursed even by a Spider-Woman's standards, still has it better than Charlotte and Mattie at least, even if that's scrapping the bottom of the abyss.

Really? I found Miles' origin one of his weaker aspects, his guilt complex for becoming Spider-Man is even more nonsensical than Peter's, guy thinks he's a coward even though he tried to help Spider-Man as soon as he heard Spidey was in danger? Come on...
    Plus the fact that Peter was already dying when he got there and no one left to fight if i remember correctly. Like, if he just standed there too scared to do anything, i could get it, but that wasn't what happened for what i remember
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Plus the fact that Peter was already dying when he got there and no one left to fight if i remember correctly. Like, if he just standed there too scared to do anything, i could get it, but that wasn't what happened for what i remember
    Yeah, as soon as he heard Spidey was in danger, he left right away, and went to the battlefield without stopping, but he was too late because when he arrived, Peter was pretty much already dead, and before that, in the panels showing Miles traveling, Peter's panels happening at the same time the end of the battle with Green Goblin with Peter hitting him with the truck, so basically, he only didn't arrive on time because he didn't learn about it sooner, which he had no way of knowing.

There are so many ways that could've been done better, like making him decide to not go, hearing that Spidey died and thinking "I could've done something!", or maybe him going, but stopping along the way because of actual fear of fighting super-villains, but after a few minutes, deciding to go and then he's too late, then the "I'm a coward!" mentality could've worked better.

It looks even weirder because in issue#3, he did save some people from a burning building, then threw up afterwards because he was scared since it was his first time doing something like that, so that issue establishes some cowardice when it comes to trying to be a super-hero (Understandably so), and hell, in issue#4 after Peter's death, he even says that he could've become Spider-Man earlier and have helped out Peter, but he was scared, the "cowardice" justification was there, but then issue#4 also has him going non stop in an even more dangerous situation than a burning building? Come on, that's really not cowardly.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The stuff with Uncle Aaron/Prowler is what makes Miles’ origin interesting, for me. The comics didn’t handle it quite as well (Aaron went straight up evil towards the end of the book instead of just manipulative) but it was still a nice take. Miles strives to be a better Spider-Man so he doesn’t go down the other route.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    To me what I found his early comic interesting is how people said that for Miles to be himself and his uncle. Miles is Miles and not Peter, he has his own story to tell and that's part I like about him. It's not about his guilt complex, but about can he meet people expectation as Spider-Man that's what made him as Spider-Man. Because of that May told him that don't be Peter, be himself. He is Miles and his story will be different from Peter.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superheat View Post
    Miles is better than Peter, Peter in the MCU in just a ripoff of Miles when Miles was written by Bendis, clearly they see Miles as better, Disney dumb for not using him before Spider verse did and we see how that worked out.
    Are you called "superheat" for your hot takes?

Apart from having a friend to confide in, MCU Peter is nothing like Miles.

Also Disney and Sony still have that stupid movie rights issue so of course they struggled with using Miles first.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Are you called "superheat" for your hot takes?

Apart from having a friend to confide in, MCU Peter is nothing like Miles.

Also Disney and Sony still have that stupid movie rights issue so of course they struggled with using Miles first.
    That’s not a hot take. Lots of people agree that MCU Peter’s character is closer to Miles than OG Peter.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=PCN24454;5224390]That’s not a hot take. Lots of people agree that MCU Peter’s character is closer to Miles than OG Peter.[/QUOT
    I am certainly one who thinks MCU Peter is closer to Miles. Why? Think of the references to Peter as a kid. Hopefully with Miles in the MCU it will be Miles as the kid rather then Peter.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That’s not a hot take. Lots of people agree that MCU Peter’s character is closer to Miles than OG Peter.
    How? Are these people actually reading/watching this stuff?
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=PCN24454;5224390]ThatÂ’s not a hot take. Lots of people agree that MCU PeterÂ’s character is closer to Miles than OG Peter.[/QUOT
    I am certainly one who thinks MCU Peter is closer to Miles. Why? Think of the references to Peter as a kid. Hopefully with Miles in the MCU it will be Miles as the kid rather then Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Where was that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How? Are these people actually reading/watching this stuff?
    I don't get it, either.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)