Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Blackest Night.

Also, I don’t buy tie-ins. Only the main story, but this event I actually did purchase a few tie ins and it was fun.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Original Metal, DC One Million, Forever Evil, and Multiversity.

Extraordinary Member

Bloodlines for me. It was fun, and didn't pretend to "change everything forever", like most of them do. And as a bonus, it produced some fun books, (the LEGION one in particular), and some new character, one of whom was actually decent.

Yeah it’s got to be Sinestro Corps for me, that was the height of the Johns Green Lantern and it had so many good moments that I still remember today.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm particularly interested in the opinions of those who read real-time, rather than much later, but all opinions are welcome. I excluded COIE because I, at least, perceive it at the first, the game-change, the beginning of DC having these kinds of events and so it's weighted heavily. Plus I thought it won in a previous discussion?
    Legends, War of the Gods, Zero Hour, and the lead up to Infinite Crisis. Infinite Crisis itself was a giant letdown and squandered the excellent build up. But the level of coordination and pacing building up to it was EXQUISITE

Extraordinary Member

Legends for sure. I mean, we got the Giffen / DeMatteis JLI out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Bloodlines for me. It was fun, and didn't pretend to "change everything forever", like most of them do. And as a bonus, it produced some fun books, (the LEGION one in particular), and some new character, one of whom was actually decent.
    Agreed. Hitman from The Demon Annual #2 is my favorite...
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/The_Demon_Annual_Vol_3_2

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-01-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah it’s got to be Sinestro Corps for me, that was the height of the Johns Green Lantern and it had so many good moments that I still remember today.
    I have a question about that one. I remember a comic where Hank Henshaw had been defeated, presumably in a previous comic book, by Superman, Power Girl, Supergirl, and Krypto----the first you see him he's landing in a heap beside Prime. My question is was there a previous comic book where that fight was shown, or was it all off-panel, and if it was shown, what book was it shown in?

I only ever got to see that aftermath, and I was thinking the implied fight would have been worth seeing.

Infinite Crisis hands down. The build up from Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Omac Project, Villians United, Day of Vengeance & Rann Thanagar War was so exciting. The Superman/Wonder Woman/Max Lord stuff. The seeds planted with other books. It was a fun time to be a DC fan. I didn't like that it took Wally West off the board but it was overall done so well. Loved it.

DC One Million was exquisitely pulled off. No scheduling snafus, a clean story that allowed all the crossover books to participate without mucking up their ongoings, and damn, that ending. It stands out as a jewel of an event.

I will always speak kindly of Millennium. Eight weeks. Lots of decent twists (Terra was supposed to be one of the Chosen! Dr. Jace and Wally's dad are Manhunters!), well-plotted crossovers. Introduction of G'Nort! Too bad that, in the end, the story that "wasn't about super-heroes" turned out to be an excuse to introduce (yet another) team of super-heroes. Soooo close.

Invasion was another (perhaps the last) competently managed crossover event. Good deaths. Solid coordination. Animal Man fighting a Thanagarian performance artist. All keen.

The build-up to Infinite Crisis was, as others have noted, SPECTACULAR. Pity the main event kind of stumbled into a puddle of ultra-violence and reversed decisions (without Dick Grayson's death, blood-frenzy Batman makes no sense, for example).

As a Morrison fanboy, I love Final Crisis. But it suffered from bad scheduling delays and I'll be the first to admit it's a little incoherent at times.

Armageddon 2001 was a darned fine event, right up until the end.

The others either left no lasting impression on me (Sinestro War, Legends) or, in some cases, should never be spoken of again (War of the Gods, Genesis).

I will always speak kindly of Millennium. Eight weeks. Lots of decent twists (Terra was supposed to be one of the Chosen! Dr. Jace and Wally's dad are Manhunters!)
    Ah, that's one my disliked events. Interrupted other stories and some of those "twists" made absolutely no sense given the prior behavior of/information about those characters.

Invasion was another (perhaps the last) competently managed crossover event.
    I did think this one was well-executed. Though I only read some of the tie-ins. I really liked the Daily Planet Special.

Liked the core story of Forever Evil (never read the tie-ins).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Blackest Night and Brightest Day, no question. BN was just straight sci-fi, world-ending action, and it was brilliant. BD and the whole Deadman storyline was absolutely exquisite. After that, only Infinite Crisis comes close to either of these events.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Infinite Crisis. Brother Eye, Superboy Prime, Kal-L's speech, Bart's moment & Barry's cameo, Powergirl, Alexander Luthor...so many highlights for me. It truly felt like the stakes were high for characters in each corner of the DC Universe.