Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

For me, it was the events started feeding directly into the next event, without even a few months of "that was great, let's get back to the regular stories" business.

In DC's case, they really had their events under control for most of the 90's. Events would run for a couple of months, sometimes three, get wrapped up, and that would be IT for at least 6 months. Sometimes there'd be two events during a year, but those would typically be one legit "interrupting all the titles" crossover (e.g. Invasion), along with one crazy event running through the summer Annuals (e.g. JLApe or Armageddon 2001). In any event, when those stories were done, they were d-o-n-e done. There weren't epilogues teasing the even bigger menace lurking behind the just-defeated menace. There weren't double-page spreads advertising coming plots over the next year (half of which would never happen because of editorial changes). There were no last-second "wtf" moments. There were changes to the titles, deaths to be mourned, and new characters to be exploited, sure, but the event was OVER.

Then, somewhere around GL: Rebirth, it was decided that every gorram event had to lead into the next one. To which I say, "F that noise. F it with a rusty spork."

So yeah, I kind of blame Johns for this.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yeah, comics very much feel like a series of "events" now. Part of that is because there's no stable status quo for "regular stories" to happen under.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah, comics very much feel like a series of "events" now. Part of that is because there's no stable status quo for "regular stories" to happen under.
    And they seem now to have made the decision to deliberately abandon what tenuous grasp on status quo they had.

Boisterously Confused

Honestly? Emerald Twilight.

Put me in Get Off My Lawn mode.

I got burnt a few years ago. Probably just before Civil War II in Marvel. Secret Wars II was the previous one that I kind of enjoyed. I was already very tired then, but CW2 definitelly killed it for good. In DC, uhm, probably Rebirth was both the last time I enjoyed one, and the one that also killed my interest when it went nowhere. I kind of got really excited about the almost-reboot of the timeline though, even when I didn't think it was going to work or stick. But it was a dropped concept in the end so...
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-02-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Question: when did The Collected Edition really become a thing? Not a "let's bank some more off that cool thing we did," but a "the game plan is" thing.

It strikes me that may have been when events got out of control.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Millennium. By the time Zero Hour hit, I had lost all interest in event series, cross-overs, or what have you. I was very hyped for Millennium, but it was such a disappointment it made me start to question the rationale behind these events in terms of narrative/storytelling rather than economics, and the disappointment of that series led me to become tired with that kind of empty epic formula that event series embody.

-M
    Millennium has to be one of the worst executed crossovers ever concieved by DC comics due not only to the utterly insane plot that covers every single comic trope at once, but the fact that it was utterly impossible to follow and practically every single comic tied into the event. For those who don't remember this crossover due to either being to young for forcibly forgetting about it, basically the Guardians of the Galaxy have decided to retire and have chosen a bunch of random earthlings to become the new guardians (including a racist for some reason, and super villain), while the Manhunter Cult years ago placed agents around every single superhero because they know every hero's identity (something something crisis on infinite earths) on the offshoot something like this may happen (Sort of feel like their are criminals they could be hunting). Now the race is on for earth's heroes to find these new guardians as the manhunter's try blackmailing, kidnapping an town, faking the destruction of smallville, so they can capture or kill the guardians to get their power. And it leads to a superhero team called the New Guardians that was promptly forgotten about after having 12 issues that year.

Now what makes this crossover event so spectaculary bad wasn't the story, but instead how the crossover events tied into each other. Basically you would have events happen in Millenium comic, and then in the tie in issues the events would continue except the tie in inssues would often tie into other issues with some of those issues coming out either before or after the previous one, so it was jumbled mess for readers. For example The Suicide Squad and Detective Comics both tied into Millenium crisis, and into each other with the stories actually crossing over with each other during the two comics, making it so that you need to read both of the comics at the same time to understand what is going on. If you don't believe me look at Detective comics 582 and Suicide squad 9. The only way a reader has any hope of reading this mess of a crossover would be take all the ties, cut the pages out and try to reorder them. (I actually tried doing this with some scans I had of the comics, stopped because it was to much work for the story). And then you get the fact that one person that every superhero knows and trusts is secretly a manhunter or an agent of a manhunter, and the manhunters are trying to turn the public against the heroes (though this is one time where the public doesn't instantly turn against them).

This image though sums up my feelings about the event.
    RCO019.jpg
    For context that woman, is karin Grace, a member of the suicide squad and quickly tells Batman about the suicide squad cause he asked her who she is? Personally I choose to believe that if someone asked her how was her day, she would be the type to tell them about their entire day.
    Last edited by brenster21; 11-04-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: forgot to add the last part

Astonishing Member

I usually just dipped my toe into events I thought were more interesting than the others, but I pretty much swore off all DC events (with the exception of events happening almost exclusively in the Bat books) after Infinite Crisis. It was just really self important and pretty much cemented my overall dislike of Geoff Johns' writing. Final Crisis didn't lure me back because of Morrison and his tendency to get super meta, not an approach I generally like in superhero comics. While I am a fan, I've only ever really cared for him on JLA and All-Star Superman. Everywhere else he just tends to go off the rails for me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Final Crisis didn't lure me back because of Morrison and his tendency to get super meta, not an approach I generally like in superhero comics. While I am a fan, I've only ever really cared for him on JLA and All-Star Superman. Everywhere else he just tends to go off the rails for me.
    The same here.

I’d have to say Underworld Unleashed.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    For me, it was the events started feeding directly into the next event, without even a few months of "that was great, let's get back to the regular stories" business.

In DC's case, they really had their events under control for most of the 90's. Events would run for a couple of months, sometimes three, get wrapped up, and that would be IT for at least 6 months. Sometimes there'd be two events during a year, but those would typically be one legit "interrupting all the titles" crossover (e.g. Invasion), along with one crazy event running through the summer Annuals (e.g. JLApe or Armageddon 2001). In any event, when those stories were done, they were d-o-n-e done. There weren't epilogues teasing the even bigger menace lurking behind the just-defeated menace. There weren't double-page spreads advertising coming plots over the next year (half of which would never happen because of editorial changes). There were no last-second "wtf" moments. There were changes to the titles, deaths to be mourned, and new characters to be exploited, sure, but the event was OVER.

Then, somewhere around GL: Rebirth, it was decided that every gorram event had to lead into the next one. To which I say, "F that noise. F it with a rusty spork."

This is EXACTLY what killed it for me too.
    The fact that writers didn't even BOTHER to provide an ending for their 'event' before running into the next one pissed me off no end.
    The words of my English teacher ring in my head - A story requires a beginning, a middle and an end.
    When did that rule get thrown aside??
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I’d have to say Underworld Unleashed.
    I enjoyed Underworld Unleashed!!!
    (Not so much the Rogues getting killed, but the main story was a blast! The tie-ins were a bit hit or miss though)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post

Oh, that's right... GL Rebirth was followed by the introduction of the rainbow corps, one after another, then once that's done its Brightest Day, War of The Green Lanterns, all the way to New 52 with the Rise of The Third Army, Wrath of The First Lantern...

Countdown to Infinite Crisis #1 was where I lost interest in the DCU.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Sometime around the first "Secret Wars" from Marvel, which would probably be around the time of the first "Crisis on Infinite Earths." Haven't cared about events since.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet