Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When did you get event fatigue?

I've asked about favorites on another thread, so now I'm curious about those who became tired of there being so many events. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of those who read real-time, rather than much later, but all opinions are welcome. Obviously, some people still get excited when they hear there is going to be an event. And even those who think the medium is over-saturated with events still enjoy some. But for those who, when they hear there is going to be another event, have the instinct to groan in annoyance before hearing any of the details: when did you first not look forward to events in general, or think there were too many?

The last wedding I attended.

But as far as comics go, I don't have event fatigue, I have event-I-don't-care-anymore. Most of them can just run their course in the regular titles but they get hyped up so much to be status quo-changing.

Most aren't event worthy.

After Final Crisis. That's when I realized it just wasn't stopping. When I came back to comics after what I consider my "childhood era", I came back around the time Identity Crisis was getting set up. And it was the really the first time that I paid much attention to the verse-wide crossover concept. They had them back when I was reading in the 90s of course, but I mostly stuck to my Superman books and just found out second hand what was going on elsewhere when necessary. Superman was my world, I didn't care about anything else enough. Fast forward to when I came back, Superman was still my world as far as comics, and he always will be, but I was more interested in branching out. So an event was just what I was looking for. At the time I had a lot of fun with ID.

That led to Infinite Crisis. Again, I was all in, especially when I realized it was actually calling back to the original Crisis.

Then Final Crisis happened. Okay, these are happening really close together...but Barry Allen is coming back and he was like a mythical figure because he had been gone my entire comics reading career. Then....they just. didn't. stop.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

When they first started coming nonstop, I was aware there was something going on I didn't like. It was around when Dan DiDio first took over. Stuff like "Countdown" and "52" may not be events in the technical sense, but...they were similar in their style of storytelling...and I got tired of it pretty fast. And the thing was they just NEVER stopped. One thing was always leading immediately into another thing. I didn't like how the shared universe was being pushed above anything and everything else. I think a shared universe is a cool convention, but I don't like it in the extreme like that. It wears on me and I think individual characters can really suffer from it.

So, I would say I got tired of them around...um...if you want to put an exact stamp on them, maybe Infinite Crisis. I had definitely given up by the time Blackest Night was coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I've asked about favorites on another thread, so now I'm curious about those who became tired of there being so many events. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of those who read real-time, rather than much later, but all opinions are welcome. Obviously, some people still get excited when they hear there is going to be an event. And even those who think the medium is over-saturated with events still enjoy some. But for those who, when they hear there is going to be another event, have the instinct to groan in annoyance before hearing any of the details: when did you first not look forward to events in general, or think there were too many?
    Round about 2011, but it had been building up for a few years.
    I actually stopped collecting for about 3 years because I felt it was so bad.

When there were nonstop Superman crossovers during the later half of the New 52. I dropped my DC books around Truth and didn’t come back until Rebirth. I still like events, I like Metal, and Death Metal, but I no longer feel a need to read events. If I’m not feeling it, it gets dropped. Never read Empyre because I read the first issue, thought it sucked and dropped the whole thing.

I don't even collect em I just read certain ones friends have.but i'm tited of em as well can we just get back to comics being comics heroes fighting villians we don't really see n2 heroes privates lives.jobs.family ect like they use too.

I pop in and out of events but often find something redeeming in them(and I remember reading CoIE when it was first released).

Convergence killed any interest I have in DC events(and I've stayed away from their events since). The original summary of Convergence 1(2015).

Written by Scott Lobdell and Jeff King. Art by Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz. Cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado. This is it! The entire DC Universe, from the dawn of time through The New 52, must fight to survive against a threat that bends the Multiverse to its will. Your favorite characters from every era and every forgotten series are all here! But are you going to say hello again just to say goodbye forever? The stakes have never been higher as the heroes of Crisis, Zero Hour, Elseworlds, and more are brought together for Convergence! In the first issue of this weekly series, Brainiac has collected cities of doomed and forgotten worlds, who must battle each other - and the losers will be destroyed! But why is he forcing this conflict? Join the refugees from Earth-2 as they unlock the truth behind this world that exists outside time and space and is very much alive! Is Brainiac really in control - or is this planet named Telos an unparalleled force of evil? This extra-sized issue is packed with twists and turns and appearances you NEVER thought you'd see - including the heroes from the hit series INJUSTICE! 40 pages, full color. Rated T Cover price $4.99.

I bought a bunch of the books that had characters I loved but didn't care about the stories or feel anything important happened that needed the event.

I thought event fatigue was setting in, but then X of Swords happened, then Future State got announced, and I realized that I'm more than fine with an event so long as it's done well, with a clear vision of execution. I think the problem I've had with events lately are they don't feel properly cohesive and it's always so big that I just can't keep up the enthusiasm after a certain point.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I came in pretty late to comics age-wise after years of being an outside observer, so I was aware of a lot of the negatives of big events so I could never really get excited about them in the first place.

I think I got sick of events when Infinite Crisis failed. And I was officially finished with them after Blackest Night.

I thought Infinite Crisis had a lot of potential going in; the lead-up was really tightly knit, with some of the most consistent continuity I had seen since the triangle era of Superman in the early 90's. And I thought a lot of the concepts at play were rather interesting; the split of the Trinity and Brother Eye and the villains uniting.....I thought we might be approaching a more layered, dynamic, and complex DCU where morality wasn't defined by a binary line. But instead, the "original" Superman got crapped on, the bad guys lost in a cleanly decisive defeat, the good guys rallied and came back together as if nothing had happened....after that, I was pretty disenfranchised with Events.

I gave Blackest Night a shot, since I was reading Johns' GL, and that was decent enough, but so incredibly bloated with extraneous tie-ins and story recaps it was disgusting (though I did love the idea of the "back from the dead" one-shots). I think I read the same Hal/Barry fight against zombie J'onn in five different comics, and while the story itself wasn't the worst thing ever I really regretted the money I burned on the whole thing.

These days I tend to avoid most Events, especially the big giant "nothing will ever be the same again!" stories, and at most I'll read the main Event mini but ignore all the tie-ins and secondary mini's. Like, I did read Metal because it sounded like a stupid fun Elseworlds, and I had a good time with that Event, but I didn't buy a single tie-in or one-shot that connected to it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Millennium. By the time Zero Hour hit, I had lost all interest in event series, cross-overs, or what have you. I was very hyped for Millennium, but it was such a disappointment it made me start to question the rationale behind these events in terms of narrative/storytelling rather than economics, and the disappointment of that series led me to become tired with that kind of empty epic formula that event series embody.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Final Crisis was the end for me.
    I've skipped every major 'event' since then and haven't regretted my decision!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I can't pinpoint a time, but generally when I switched fom finding a reason NOT to buy an event to needing to find a reason TO buy and event.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Blackest Night, definitely. It started off cool and exciting, but it became overwhelming.