Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I always thought the web shooters were a redundant addition to Spider-Man's power set. You don't need him to be inventing fantastical devices like he's Reed Richards to convey that he's a smart kid. Besides, what has Peter done with his engineering/chemical knowledge since then? Pretty much zilch, and it's rarely touched upon by writers. Why didn't he sell his "spider silk" invention for millions of dollars? For such a smart kid, he's pretty dumb. Raimi circumvents all that by simply making the web shooters organic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I always thought the web shooters were a redundant addition to Spider-Man's power set. You don't need him to be inventing fantastical devices like he's Reed Richards to convey that he's a smart kid. Besides, what has Peter done with his engineering/chemical knowledge since then? Pretty much zilch, and it's rarely touched upon by writers. Why didn't he sell his "spider silk" invention for millions of dollars? For such a smart kid, he's pretty dumb. Raimi circumvents all that by simply making the web shooters organic.
    Science is wasted in comic books by nature. It’s necessitated by the setting to always be similar to the real world except for the heroes and villains.

I think someone mentioned on a previous page that no one wanted to buy the web fluid or something like that.

Now that I think about it, Peter being smart was never a quality I recall being pushed during the Raimi-era. Sure he was into science, but most people wouldn't know his intelligence was one of his character traits unless they also read the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    I think someone mentioned on a previous page that no one wanted to buy the web fluid or something like that.

Now that I think about it, Peter being smart was never a quality I recall being pushed during the Raimi-era. Sure he was into science, but most people wouldn't know his intelligence was one of his character traits unless they also read the comics.
    It was either me or Lukmendes. But to give the give the story, back during The Master Planner trilogy Peter tried to sell the formula, but it was rejected because only worked for an hour and i think that Peter said that he didn't have the resources for improve it.
    Last edited by TheCape; 11-08-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post

Wasnt it due to Peter that Otto needed to improve his Sun Experiment?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It was either me or Lukemendes.
    It's Luk, no "e" directly in front of the the "k".

I might have the hardest username to write correctly, it happens so much .

But to give the give the story, back during The Master Planner trilogy Peter tried to sell the formula, but it was rejected because only worked for an hour and i think that Peter said that he didn't have the resources for improve it.
    That wasn't during Master Planner, it was in ASM#18.

Can see why you confused one with the other though, aunt May was also sick in that.

Either way, Peter only says "Perhaps I can make it permanent!", so there was the possibility, but he never did anything about that:

https://i.imgur.com/yq4Fkq2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qTfkVkh.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It's Luk, no "e" directly in front of the the "k".

I might have the hardest username to write correctly, it happens so much .

That wasn't during Master Planner, it was in ASM#18.

Can see why you confused one with the other though, aunt May was also sick in that.

Either way, Peter only says "Perhaps I can make it permanent!", so there was the possibility, but he never did anything about that:

https://i.imgur.com/yq4Fkq2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qTfkVkh.jpg
    Corrected lol.

Also thanks for the correction about the issue.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Funnily enough, I'm almost positive we've seen Peter make much longer lasting variants of the web fluid in later stories, but this is never brought up again. IIRC he made a webbing variant that would last for decades in JMS' run to stop a kid from sneaking out through his window and committing crimes every night. I guess that's just the nature of comics for ya though
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

To add to this, for all that Spider-Man's scientific genius is lauded by fans, writers and fans alike seem to reject taking it to its logical conclusion. None of Peter's advanced suits and tools have stuck and one of the least liked adaptations, Spider-Man Unlimited, featured a Spider-Man who wore a suit made of nanomachines and even had anti-symbiote features which would come in very handy when dealing with Venom or Carnage.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-10-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    To add to this, for all that Spider-Man's scientific genius is lauded by fans, writers and fans alike seem to reject taking it to its logical conclusion. None of Peter's advanced suits and tools have stuck and one of the least liked adaptations, Spider-Man Unlimited, featured a Spider-Man who wore a suit made of nanomachines and even had anti-symbiote features which would come in very handy when dealing with Venom or Carnage.
    I think it just all comes down to execution. People like to see Peter using his science smarts to outthink and outsmart his villains, but less so when it comes to the Spider-Suit needing to be unnecessarily teched out or for him to have gadgets out the whazoo like Batman does.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Science is wasted in comic books by nature. It’s necessitated by the setting to always be similar to the real world except for the heroes and villains.
    Did you mean "real life science"?
    "Cable was right!"

No. That is a detail.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Corrected lol.

Also thanks for the correction about the issue.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Funnily enough, I'm almost positive we've seen Peter make much longer lasting variants of the web fluid in later stories, but this is never brought up again. IIRC he made a webbing variant that would last for decades in JMS' run to stop a kid from sneaking out through his window and committing crimes every night. I guess that's just the nature of comics for ya though
    Think you're talking about this:

https://i.imgur.com/mPSW8QB.png

(ASM#56 vol 2).

Small correction that she wasn't commiting crimes, she was trying to find her brother, problem was that she was asking people who could end up hurting her.

Anyways, he was just making a joke about the web lasting until she was 21 lol.

He does say that his web lasts for hours in ASM#55, but doesn't specify that it's some new improved formula, maybe he was exaggerating to intimidate that villain, or it's a mistake JMS made:

https://i.imgur.com/hGyxDu1.png

It's like some of the stuff Slott came up with, it's nice when Spidey makes some stuff, but stuff like Unlimited kinda pushed it, since that was more advanced than even Stark's armors at the time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it just all comes down to execution. People like to see Peter using his science smarts to outthink and outsmart his villains, but less so when it comes to the Spider-Suit needing to be unnecessarily teched out or for him to have gadgets out the whazoo like Batman does.
    PS4 Spidey balances it better, although I still feel like some of his tech can be so advanced it actually hurts him, like his web shooters, Felicia used some electric grenade on him and he couldn't use it for a few seconds until they rebooted, why make it so advanced that they can be neutralized rather easily like that? lol.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I don't think anyone disliked Spider-Man Unlimited due to the suit - if anything I've only heard of people who thought that suit was super cool. The show had plenty of other issues though. For a counterpoint, arguably the most popular Spider-Man adaptation is the Insomniac Spider-Man, and he's probably one of the most heavily teched out versions we've seen. Like with most other things, it depends more on execution than anything else. I do think that there's an obvious reason why Peter always downgrades his tech in the comics, and that's because he can't really be a street level hero when he's wearing the armors he's built in the past - comics love the status quo, and anything that disturbs that always gets removed. It's the same reason why nothing that Reed designs has stuck since Unstable Molecules, or why Iron Man always "upgrades" his suits but never actually gets more powerful.

Think you're talking about this:

https://i.imgur.com/mPSW8QB.png

(ASM#56 vol 2).

Small correction that she wasn't commiting crimes, she was trying to find her brother, problem was that she was asking people who could end up hurting her.

Anyways, he was just making a joke about the web lasting until she was 21 lol.

He does say that his web lasts for hours in ASM#55, but doesn't specify that it's some new improved formula, maybe he was exaggerating to intimidate that villain, or it's a mistake JMS made:

https://i.imgur.com/hGyxDu1.png
    Yeah that was it - though I didn't think that came across as a joke based on how specific Peter was about it. I also feel like he's used longer lasting webbing variants in other runs, but nothing specific comes to mind. Slott's run would be a near certainty though, lol.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I don't think anyone disliked Spider-Man Unlimited due to the suit - if anything I've only heard of people who thought that suit was super cool. The show had plenty of other issues though. For a counterpoint, arguably the most popular Spider-Man adaptation is the Insomniac Spider-Man, and he's probably one of the most heavily teched out versions we've seen. Like with most other things, it depends more on execution than anything else. I do think that there's an obvious reason why Peter always downgrades his tech in the comics, and that's because he can't really be a street level hero when he's wearing the armors he's built in the past - comics love the status quo, and anything that disturbs that always gets removed. It's the same reason why nothing that Reed designs has stuck since Unstable Molecules, or why Iron Man always "upgrades" his suits but never actually gets more powerful.
    I remember seeing Unlimited's suit, thinking it looked awesome, but that there was no way Peter would make something like that lol.

I checked episode 1 here where he talks about the suit, he says the nano technology to make the suit was "discretly borrowed from the lab of Reed Richards", so while he didn't make that suit by himself, he stole the tech to do so, shitty of him to do that, but makes sense how he managed to make that suit lol.

PS4 Spidey has a lot of tech, but nothing in that game is anywhere near the level of that Unlimited suit, and while yes, more advanced than the usual Spidey ****, he does work in a lab, so it makes sense he can make stuff like that, and they're not absurd.

Yeah that was it - though I didn't think that came across as a joke based on how specific Peter was about it. I also feel like he's used longer lasting webbing variants in other runs, but nothing specific comes to mind. Slott's run would be a near certainty though, lol.
    The way he's specific about it is why it sounds like a joke with a "Oh, it's not permanent, it'll just last for years" kind of tone, and 21 is the age where she's old enough to drink and whatnot.

Plus, in the same page he says it'll keep her locked inside for the night, saying that, then saying it'll last until she's 21, so yeah lol.

I'm not sure if other runs had him making his webs to specifically last for longer, but I do remember that in Spectacular Annual#7, when he was working for Puma during his honeymoon, that he made acid webs:

https://i.imgur.com/HK3co0f.png

https://i.imgur.com/iA40bcU.png

Granted, it only became acid because he couldn't decipher what some of the chemicals were, but it shows he could make more varied webs if he actually bothered.

Either way, under Slott, did Spidey ever actually make webs that last for longer when he was working in Horizon Labs? Or was it Otto who did that? Don't remember right now...
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-10-2020 at 08:04 PM.