Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Either way, under Slott, did Spidey ever actually make webs that last for longer when he was working in Horizon Labs? Or was it Otto who did that? Don't remember right now...
    Knowing Slott, it was probably Otto .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Did you mean "real life science"?
    I honestly meant science since it’s mostly meant to reaffirm a status quo than progress anything substantial.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I remember seeing Unlimited's suit, thinking it looked awesome, but that there was no way Peter would make something like that lol.

I checked episode 1 here where he talks about the suit, he says the nano technology to make the suit was "discretly borrowed from the lab of Reed Richards", so while he didn't make that suit by himself, he stole the tech to do so, shitty of him to do that, but makes sense how he managed to make that suit lol.

PS4 Spidey has a lot of tech, but nothing in that game is anywhere near the level of that Unlimited suit, and while yes, more advanced than the usual Spidey ****, he does work in a lab, so it makes sense he can make stuff like that, and they're not absurd.
    I think PS4 Spider-Man's Velocity Suit was 100x more absurd than the Unlimited Suit, which really wasn't much more advanced than like an average Iron Man suit or something. Even 616 Spidey's recent armor was basically like a more advanced version of the Unlimited suit, unless I'm forgetting something that the Unlimited Suit could do.

The way he's specific about it is why it sounds like a joke with a "Oh, it's not permanent, it'll just last for years" kind of tone, and 21 is the age where she's old enough to drink and whatnot.

Plus, in the same page he says it'll keep her locked inside for the night, saying that, then saying it'll last until she's 21, so yeah lol.

I'm not sure if other runs had him making his webs to specifically last for longer, but I do remember that in Spectacular Annual#7, when he was working for Puma during his honeymoon, that he made acid webs:

https://i.imgur.com/HK3co0f.png

https://i.imgur.com/iA40bcU.png

Granted, it only became acid because he couldn't decipher what some of the chemicals were, but it shows he could make more varied webs if he actually bothered.

Either way, under Slott, did Spidey ever actually make webs that last for longer when he was working in Horizon Labs? Or was it Otto who did that? Don't remember right now...
    Eh, keeping her locked inside for the night doesn't contradict lasting till 21 but you're right that the age of 21 is when she'd be old enough to drink... I guess it's arguable either way. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was Ock who made the longer laster webs during Superior Spider-Man (lol) but Peter also made web cement/concrete webbing which should theoretically be permanent based on the name.

Also, Peter has made acid webs tons of times - I think it was the first webbing variant he made since the first time he did it was in Stan Lee's run to beat the Rhino, he's done it to beat Sandman, and it was a standard option for him during the PI era. Some of the webbing variants I know he's made include bioelectric webbing, sonic disruptor webbing, magnetic webbing, ice webbing (which also might have been the first variant he made), flame webbing, etc.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I think PS4 Spider-Man's Velocity Suit was 100x more absurd than the Unlimited Suit, which really wasn't much more advanced than like an average Iron Man suit or something. Even 616 Spidey's recent armor was basically like a more advanced version of the Unlimited suit, unless I'm forgetting something that the Unlimited Suit could do.
    My problem with Unlimited suit wasn't even what it could do (mostly, being thought controlled is pushing it), biggest problem is that Spidey somehow had managed to make billions (Yes, with a "b") of nano machines to cover his body and be the suit, that was pretty far fetched lol.

But again, stealing from Reed makes it more justified that he managed to make it, even if it's shitty of him to steal from Reed.

Eh, keeping her locked inside for the night doesn't contradict lasting till 21 but you're right that the age of 21 is when she'd be old enough to drink... I guess it's arguable either way.
    Yeah those two sentences don't exactly contradict each other, it's just that locking her for the night is the serious sounding one, and the "Locked until she's 21" sounds like the joke.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was Ock who made the longer laster webs during Superior Spider-Man (lol) but Peter also made web cement/concrete webbing which should theoretically be permanent based on the name.
    Oh yeah, had forgotten about concrete webs, not sure if he created it before PI era, but I remember there was the situation with Peter having too many web types in ASM#10 vol 4, and only having either concrete or acid, which couldn't be used to save civilians.

Also, Peter has made acid webs tons of times - I think it was the first webbing variant he made since the first time he did it was in Stan Lee's run to beat the Rhino, he's done it to beat Sandman, and it was a standard option for him during the PI era. Some of the webbing variants I know he's made include bioelectric webbing, sonic disruptor webbing, magnetic webbing, ice webbing (which also might have been the first variant he made), flame webbing, etc.
    Huh, could swear that Peter used something else to melt Rhino's costume in ASM#43, but you're right, that was an acid web.

Ice web is the first different kind of webbing yeah, Strange Tales Annual#2 was published in the same month as ASM#5, and he didn't make any weird variation before that, I even remember finding it weird for a web variation to show up so early, think the next one was the acid one he made specifically to take down Rhino, and that was 3 years later.

Also I get the feeling that most of those web variants you listed debutted in Slott's run, some I can see happening when he deals with specific enemies, hell, fire webs were in the PSX game to kill symbiotes, but stuff like magnetic webs? Sounds like such a Slott thing lol.

My problem with Unlimited suit wasn't even what it could do (mostly, being thought controlled is pushing it), biggest problem is that Spidey somehow had managed to make billions (Yes, with a "b") of nano machines to cover his body and be the suit, that was pretty far fetched lol.

But again, stealing from Reed makes it more justified that he managed to make it, even if it's shitty of him to steal from Reed.
    Honestly I didn't like him stealing from Reed at all - that always struck me as super out of character for Peter. Making it himself would have been fine IMO, sure it's far fetched but like so is basically all the other science and tech we see in comics and comic-based media.

Also I get the feeling that most of those web variants you listed debutted in Slott's run, some I can see happening when he deals with specific enemies, hell, fire webs were in the PSX game to kill symbiotes, but stuff like magnetic webs? Sounds like such a Slott thing lol.

Lol yeah, I think bioelectric and magnetic webbing were first seen in Slott's run. I remember flame webbing as a power up from the PS1 game as well, but I think the first appearance of it in comics was Slott's run too. The sonics were from Joe Kelly's SM/DP run IIRC.

But more on topic - that's why I like webshooters more than organic webbing since I feel like web variations to fight specific enemies are a pretty cool and important thing Peter does that we can't really get with organic webs. Although the MCU botched it by having them all be due to Tony Stark...
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

He stole? I thought Richards let him borrow equipment from his lab since Spidey likely had a personal relationship with him by that point.

Honestly I didn't like him stealing from Reed at all - that always struck me as super out of character for Peter. Making it himself would have been fine IMO, sure it's far fetched but like so is basically all the other science and tech we see in comics and comic-based media.
    Problem with him making it by himself is how he'd have the equipment and the budget to do all of that, his webs already push it by default considering how much of it he uses, but billions of nano machines in 6 months? Come on.

And yeah, stealing from Reed was just shitty, which I don't even know why they decided to go for that, just have Peter say that he was working alongside Reed for it.

Lol yeah, I think bioelectric and magnetic webbing were first seen in Slott's run. I remember flame webbing as a power up from the PS1 game as well, but I think the first appearance of it in comics was Slott's run too. The sonics were from Joe Kelly's SM/DP run IIRC.
    Hm, wiki lists fire webs under Superior#23, though it did show up earlier in #22... I'd assume that Peter would make fire webs in the 90's since symbiotes were a bigger pain in the ass back then, and if it's not from it, there's a chance he made it before under a weird circumstance, though I find it far fetched, not because Peter is incapable, just that I don't see him dealing with a villain where he thinks "Imma need fire" before symbiotes.

Sonic webs are from Superior too, Otto actually used both sonic webs and fire webs when he was fighting Flash:

(Superior#23)

Talk about overkill lol.

Really shouldn't be surprising Slott made Otto come up with those, I'm actually surprised some like concrete web are from Peter.

But more on topic - that's why I like webshooters more than organic webbing since I feel like web variations to fight specific enemies are a pretty cool and important thing Peter does that we can't really get with organic webs.
    That's part of the reason I prefer webshooters over organic too, another one is that webshooters are actually more flexible, and I don't even mean the nonsense Stan Lee came up with (Which are pure silver age in many cases lol), just being able to make it thinner, thicker, more widespread and whatnot, those differences are huge, too bad Marvel doesn't do that anymore, which is really weird considering the amount of Spider-People with organic webs out there, you'd think they would use that to make him look more different, and unique, from the organic web users.

Although the MCU botched it by having them all be due to Tony Stark...
    Worst thing is, it'd be easy to say Peter came up with them, and Tony only gives him the equipment and/or chemicals to make the webs, so MCU Peter would still have this "need" of Tony, and it could even justify the web shooters being so advanced, but wouldn't make Peter look dumber compared to most versions.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    He stole? I thought Richards let him borrow equipment from his lab since Spidey likely had a personal relationship with him by that point.
    Peter says he "discretly borrowed from the lab of Reed Richards", which is a nice way of saying he stole it.

But more on topic - that's why I like webshooters more than organic webbing since I feel like web variations to fight specific enemies are a pretty cool and important thing Peter does that we can't really get with organic webs. Although the MCU botched it by having them all be due to Tony Stark...
    The web shooters were created by Peter. Tony just gave him a more advanced suit.

Peter says he "discretly borrowed from the lab of Reed Richards", which is a nice way of saying he stole it.
    I just assumed he did borrow them and the "discreetly" adjective was simply because Reed couldn't officially lend them to him due to Spider-Man being thought dead.

Peter was so desperate to prove his inocence that he comitted at least 3 other crimes in order to so
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I just assumed he did borrow them and the "discreetly" adjective was simply because Reed couldn't officially lend them to him due to Spider-Man being thought dead.
    I guess it can be interpreted that way, but they could've worded it better if that was the intention, "discretely borrowed from the lab Reed Richards" really sounds like stealing lol.

Could word it like "Reed discretely lent me the nano machines" to make it clear, that is if he wasn't supposed to have stolen it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Peter was so desperate to prove his inocence that he comitted at least 3 other crimes in order to so
    Hey come on, he only stole Reed's nano machines and a space ship, that 2 crimes, not 3 .
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-13-2020 at 02:09 PM.

I guess it can be interpreted that way, but they could've worded it better if that was the intention, "discretely borrowed from the lab Reed Richards" really sounds like stealing lol.

Could word it like "Reed discretely lent me the nano machines" to make it clear, that is if he wasn't supposed to have stolen it.

Hey come on, he only stole Reed's nano machines and a space ship, that 2 crimes, not 3 .
    Back then it was ilegal to be Spider-Man, so that makes 3
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Problem with him making it by himself is how he'd have the equipment and the budget to do all of that, his webs already push it by default considering how much of it he uses, but billions of nano machines in 6 months? Come on.

And yeah, stealing from Reed was just shitty, which I don't even know why they decided to go for that, just have Peter say that he was working alongside Reed for it.
    Yeah honestly anything would have been better than stealing from Reed haha

Hm, wiki lists fire webs under Superior#23, though it did show up earlier in #22... I'd assume that Peter would make fire webs in the 90's since symbiotes were a bigger pain in the ass back then, and if it's not from it, there's a chance he made it before under a weird circumstance, though I find it far fetched, not because Peter is incapable, just that I don't see him dealing with a villain where he thinks "Imma need fire" before symbiotes.

Sonic webs are from Superior too, Otto actually used both sonic webs and fire webs when he was fighting Flash:

(Superior#23)

Talk about overkill lol.

Really shouldn't be surprising Slott made Otto come up with those, I'm actually surprised some like concrete web are from Peter.
    The sonic webs I was talking about were different, they were from Joe Kelly's run on Spider-Man/Deadpool. But yeah I guess the fire webs were Ock too... lol

That's part of the reason I prefer webshooters over organic too, another one is that webshooters are actually more flexible, and I don't even mean the nonsense Stan Lee came up with (Which are pure silver age in many cases lol), just being able to make it thinner, thicker, more widespread and whatnot, those differences are huge, too bad Marvel doesn't do that anymore, which is really weird considering the amount of Spider-People with organic webs out there, you'd think they would use that to make him look more different, and unique, from the organic web users.
    Haha yeah I remember back in the classic days when Peetr used to make like flying web bats and **** that was crazy. It could be interesting if Peter started making more complicated web constructs again as a way to differentiate him from organic webbing users, since he could upgrade his webshooters to allow for that.

Worst thing is, it'd be easy to say Peter came up with them, and Tony only gives him the equipment and/or chemicals to make the webs, so MCU Peter would still have this "need" of Tony, and it could even justify the web shooters being so advanced, but wouldn't make Peter look dumber compared to most versions.
    Agreed, like if Peter were to have got his ass kicked and then realized he needed an upgrade, so he sends Tony his designs and then Tony gave him that suit it would have been a lot better (though I'd still have preferred no Tony at all, lol).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah honestly anything would have been better than stealing from Reed haha

The sonic webs I was talking about were different, they were from Joe Kelly's run on Spider-Man/Deadpool. But yeah I guess the fire webs were Ock too... lol

Haha yeah I remember back in the classic days when Peetr used to make like flying web bats and **** that was crazy. It could be interesting if Peter started making more complicated web constructs again as a way to differentiate him from organic webbing users, since he could upgrade his webshooters to allow for that.

Agreed, like if Peter were to have got his ass kicked and then realized he needed an upgrade, so he sends Tony his designs and then Tony gave him that suit it would have been a lot better (though I'd still have preferred no Tony at all, lol).
    That would actually make more sense as his introduction in Captain America: Civil War. He's just slipping into his bedroom trying not to attract his Aunt May's notice, and trying not to wince or cry out too loudly from the bruises and aches from his latest fight, then he sees someone in his room that isn't supposed to be there, so he confronts the guy. Preparing for a fight, Tony activates one of his repulsor watches and when Peter sees the familiar light in his outstretched palm, he realizes it's Iron Man, though he reflexively webs up his gauntlet to keep him from firing a repulsor beam in his room and alerting Aunt May by way of the noise, before asking him what the hell he thinks he's doing in his room. Tony's (snarky) response is that he has a proposition for Peter, and not the indecent kind, though that's something he's probably too young to have heard about yet.

While Peter is asking what "the Invincible Iron Man" would want with "puny Peter Parker from Queens," Tony is rattling off from his ongoing analysis of Peter's abilities, gear, skills, and known public sightings as Spider-Man, before finally making the aforementioned proposition: help him take down Captain America, and he'll help upgrade Peter's gear so Peter can be a better Spider-Man for his neighborhood. While Peter is resistant to the idea of taking down Captain America, Tony wears him down by explaining from his POV that Cap's gone rogue and is liable to get people hurt if he isn't stopped, before admitting that he knows it's "not [his] problem." That's when Peter cuts him off, saying that the last time he said and thought that, someone he (and Aunt May) loved died because of his refusal to act, so whatever he needs to do to keep someone else from experiencing that pain . . . he's in --- and hey, an upgrade sounds pretty good, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah it's different from Superior's one, this one actually looks like sonics, I thought Superior's was a hurrycane at first.

Though I don't think either should be called "webs" lol.

Yeah, too bad he hardly ever does those now, think the last time we saw him doing that isn't just a web line was in ASM#798:

And that was two years ago lol.

That reminds me of how much ASM#798 was intense once Norman stopped fucking around and became Red Goblin, then we have Spidey saying that while Spider-Man was defeated, Peter Parker is the one who'd bring him down, then GDS didn't live up to that at all... Was also kinda meh as a story.

It's honestly understandable why they made Tony mentor Peter in MCU, certainly makes more sense than when JMS tried that in 616, 'cause Spidey is his senior as a hero there, plus Tony is not someone meant to mentor anyone for long... Problem with MCU is how Tony ended up undermining Peter, when they could've made it so both look intelligent and creative, oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would actually make more sense as his introduction in Captain America: Civil War. He's just slipping into his bedroom trying not to attract his Aunt May's notice, and trying not to wince or cry out too loudly from the bruises and aches from his latest fight, then he sees someone in his room that isn't supposed to be there, so he confronts the guy. Preparing for a fight, Tony activates one of his repulsor watches and when Peter sees the familiar light in his outstretched palm, he realizes it's Iron Man, though he reflexively webs up his gauntlet to keep him from firing a repulsor beam in his room and alerting Aunt May by way of the noise, before asking him what the hell he thinks he's doing in his room. Tony's (snarky) response is that he has a proposition for Peter, and not the indecent kind, though that's something he's probably too young to have heard about yet.

While Peter is asking what "the Invincible Iron Man" would want with "puny Peter Parker from Queens," Tony is rattling off from his ongoing analysis of Peter's abilities, gear, skills, and known public sightings as Spider-Man, before finally making the aforementioned proposition: help him take down Captain America, and he'll help upgrade Peter's gear so Peter can be a better Spider-Man for his neighborhood. While Peter is resistant to the idea of taking down Captain America, Tony wears him down by explaining from his POV that Cap's gone rogue and is liable to get people hurt if he isn't stopped, before admitting that he knows it's "not [his] problem." That's when Peter cuts him off, saying that the last time he said and thought that, someone he (and Aunt May) loved died because of his refusal to act, so whatever he needs to do to keep someone else from experiencing that pain . . . he's in --- and hey, an upgrade sounds pretty good, too.
    That sounds like too much to be shoved in Civil War, would work better as a scene for Homecoming, but instead they chose to just go for some random video Peter made to explain why he even joined Tony.