Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Yeah it's different from Superior's one, this one actually looks like sonics, I thought Superior's was a hurrycane at first.

Though I don't think either should be called "webs" lol.

Yeah, too bad he hardly ever does those now, think the last time we saw him doing that isn't just a web line was in ASM#798:

And that was two years ago lol.

That reminds me of how much ASM#798 was intense once Norman stopped fucking around and became Red Goblin, then we have Spidey saying that while Spider-Man was defeated, Peter Parker is the one who'd bring him down, then GDS didn't live up to that at all... Was also kinda meh as a story.

It's honestly understandable why they made Tony mentor Peter in MCU, certainly makes more sense than when JMS tried that in 616, 'cause Spidey is his senior as a hero there, plus Tony is not someone meant to mentor anyone for long... Problem with MCU is how Tony ended up undermining Peter, when they could've made it so both look intelligent and creative, oh well...

That sounds like too much to be shoved in Civil War, would work better as a scene for Homecoming, but instead they chose to just go for some random video Peter made to explain why he even joined Tony.
    Maybe. I do appreciate the feedback, though, and yeah, it could work as a flashback scene in Homecoming that would have built up their relationship better as opposed to Tony blowing off Peter most of the time and then having the gall to be affronted that Peter went off on his own. (Granted, Peter jumped the gun, endangering himself and others in the process, but at the same time, a little more open communication on Tony's part could have averted some of that mess.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Yeah it's different from Superior's one, this one actually looks like sonics, I thought Superior's was a hurrycane at first.

Though I don't think either should be called "webs" lol.
    lmao, I'm totally in agreement there. Same thing with the fire webs which are basically just a wrist-mounted flamethrower.

Yeah, too bad he hardly ever does those now, think the last time we saw him doing that isn't just a web line was in ASM#798:

And that was two years ago lol.

That reminds me of how much ASM#798 was intense once Norman stopped fucking around and became Red Goblin, then we have Spidey saying that while Spider-Man was defeated, Peter Parker is the one who'd bring him down, then GDS didn't live up to that at all... Was also kinda meh as a story.
    Wow finally someone who agrees with me on Go Down Swinging! I see so many people praising that arc, and I thought it was utterly mediocre after the fantastic start in the first 2 issues which I thought Slott completely wasted.

It's honestly understandable why they made Tony mentor Peter in MCU, certainly makes more sense than when JMS tried that in 616, 'cause Spidey is his senior as a hero there, plus Tony is not someone meant to mentor anyone for long... Problem with MCU is how Tony ended up undermining Peter, when they could've made it so both look intelligent and creative, oh well...
    Oh yeah, Tony mentoring Peter in 616 was an even dumber idea but I do think JMS was a good enough writer that it didn't turn out as badly as it did in the MCU. It would definitely have worked better if their relationship was one of mutual respect as colleagues with Tony having a more senior role, rather than them making Tony into Peter's new dad essentially.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Maybe. I do appreciate the feedback, though, and yeah, it could work as a flashback scene in Homecoming that would have built up their relationship better as opposed to Tony blowing off Peter most of the time and then having the gall to be affronted that Peter went off on his own. (Granted, Peter jumped the gun, endangering himself and others in the process, but at the same time, a little more open communication on Tony's part could have averted some of that mess.)
    The entire plot of Homecoming only happens because Tony and Happy were a bunch of pompous assholes who don't bother to listen to Peter or talk to him lol.

Kinda funny the movie makes Spidey look up to Tony, but doesn't give much reason for the audience to see why he should care, one can even get the "never meet your idols" lesson from it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    lmao, I'm totally in agreement there. Same thing with the fire webs which are basically just a wrist-mounted flamethrower.
    It's weird they screwed up the fire "webs" like that, 'cause making a web type that burts in fire can be done, and that's even how it worked in that PSX Spidey game.

Wow finally someone who agrees with me on Go Down Swinging! I see so many people praising that arc, and I thought it was utterly mediocre after the fantastic start in the first 2 issues which I thought Slott completely wasted.
    Yeah I don't get why it gets so many praises, I guess it can be said that it's better than some other arcs, it's certainly better than Venom Inc, but the story itself, uh, Spidey can't win, Eddie assassinates his own character so Peter can have the symbiote (And he had done so already to have the symbiote back, so yeah), Red Goblin asspulls immunities to sonics and fire, Flash dies for no reason, and even without those bad points, the battle is just, underwhelming, best thing about it is Red Goblin's characterization, which while it's weird he basically sounds like Joker, it can be blamed on the Carnage symbiote since that tends to affect personalities, but the story is just meh as a conclusion, which sucks, could be so much better.

And agreed, the first two issues of it were good ****, ASM#798 might be my favorite Slott issue.

Huh, thinking of it, Immortal Hulk#39 is one of my favorite issues of IH, guess I like situations that look hopeless but not impossible for the heroes to try something... Hopefully IH doesn't disappoint like GDS did lol.

Oh yeah, Tony mentoring Peter in 616 was an even dumber idea but I do think JMS was a good enough writer that it didn't turn out as badly as it did in the MCU. It would definitely have worked better if their relationship was one of mutual respect as colleagues with Tony having a more senior role, rather than them making Tony into Peter's new dad essentially.
    At times it felt like Tony was supposed to be seen as the more experienced one at the cost of making Spidey look less experienced under JMS, which was certainly questionable considering JMS' characterization of Spidey made him look pretty experienced... And honestly, the mentoring could work well if Tony was actually teaching Peter something Peter doesn't know what to do, like teaching him how to work in a team, 'cause while Spidey has a lot of team up experience, he hardly did it for long enough to call anyone a teammate, so that would make sense, but JMS didn't bother with even that lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-17-2020 at 05:30 PM.

The entire plot of Homecoming only happens because Tony and Happy were a bunch of pompous assholes who don't bother to listen to Peter or talk to him lol.

Kinda funny the movie makes Spidey look up to Tony, but doesn't give much reason for the audience to see why he should care, one can even get the "never meet your idols" lesson from it lol.

It's weird they screwed up the fire "webs" like that, 'cause making a web type that burts in fire can be done, and that's even how it worked in that PSX Spidey game.

Yeah I don't get why it gets so many praises, I guess it can be said that it's better than some other arcs, it's certainly better than Venom Inc, but the story itself, uh, Spidey can't win, Eddie assassinates his own character so Peter can have the symbiote (And he had done so already to have the symbiote back, so yeah), Red Goblin asspulls immunities to sonics and fire, Flash dies for no reason, and even without those bad points, the battle is just, underwhelming, best thing about it is Red Goblin's characterization, which while it's weird he basically sounds like Joker, it can be blamed on the Carnage symbiote since that tends to affect personalities, but the story is just meh as a conclusion, which sucks, could be so much better.

And agreed, the first two issues of it were good ****, ASM#798 might be my favorite Slott issue.

Huh, thinking of it, Immortal Hulk#39 is one of my favorite issues of IH, guess I like situations that look hopeless but not impossible for the heroes to try something... Hopefully IH doesn't disappoint like GDS did lol.

At times it felt like Tony was supposed to be seen as the more experienced one at the cost of making Spidey look less experienced under JMS, which was certainly questionable considering JMS' characterization of Spidey made him look pretty experienced... And honestly, the mentoring could work well if Tony was actually teaching Peter something Peter doesn't know what to do, like teaching him how to work in a team, 'cause while Spidey has a lot of team up experience, he hardly did it for long enough to call anyone a teammate, so that would make sense, but JMS didn't bother with even that lol.
    Honestly, my biggest problem with the relationship is that it gives too much importance to another hero, i mean i get why they are doing it, he is the little brother archetype and audience surrogate fanboy wich is kind of Spider-Man territory with the whole "being relatable" thing and making him essentially the Kitty Pryde of the MCU, but i can't help but feel that is like seeing Batman mentoring Superman or Wolverine mentoring Cyclops when they were teenagers, it feels very unequal when in practice they should be at the same level.

Also some day i had to get around reading GDS, the whole things just sounds stupid wich i can't help to feel interested on lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Honestly, my biggest problem with the relationship is that it gives too much importance to another hero, i mean i get why they are doing it, he is the little brother archetype and audience surrogate fanboy wich is kind of Spider-Man territory with the whole "being relatable" thing and making him essentially the Kitty Pryde of the MCU, but i can't help but feel that is like seeing Batman mentoring Superman or Wolverine mentoring Cyclops when they were teenagers, it feels very unequal when in practice they should be at the same level.
    Funnily enough, we kinda got Cyclops being mentored by Wolverine in X-Men Evolution, since Wolverine had Cyclops' role of being the first mutant Xavier met with the intention of forming the X-Men, but it worked well there because it didn't happen much, and Cyclops didn't worry about getting the approval of his new daddy.

Either way, if the intention is for him to be the audience surrogate, can only wonder why they bothered, MCU had been around for like 10 years by the time Civil War or Homecoming came out, a lil' late to add one of those lol.

Plus, it's odd to have him depend so much on another hero, in his solo movie, it'd already be weird if a Robin movie did that, have him look so dependant on someone else to the point of being a crutch, it's even weirder when done with Spider-Man, who's known for being solo.

Also some day i had to get around reading GDS, the whole things just sounds stupid wich i can't help to feel interested on lol.
    It's, a little better than it sounds, for me the peak of its quality is in ASM#798, which was actually good and ended in an awesome cliffhanger, the quality drops significantly after this, #799 was basically setting up #800, with, the weird ass reveal that Harry's babysitter is actually his mother... Which was weird, and I still don't know the point of that **** since it's at the end of Slott's run and it went nowhere, #800 itself is just okay.

Think of it like this, you went through Superior and the Parker Industries era (And I'm talking specifically about the snorefest that is the Zodiac arc), GDS at its worst is not even half as bad as either, just don't expect it to be some awesome conclusive story like I heard some people describing it and you'll be fine, might even find it kinda fun, at least that's how I see it.

That sounds like too much to be shoved in Civil War, would work better as a scene for Homecoming, but instead they chose to just go for some random video Peter made to explain why he even joined Tony.
    The video did a good job setting up the new take on the character and the tone of the movie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

not another thread turning into a mcu discussion u guys are obsessed
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    not another thread turning into a mcu discussion u guys are obsessed
    This is the Way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I think yeah it was certainly better than most of the terrible stories we got after returning to Legacy numbering, but it was super super underwhelming and ruined so much. ASM 798 is definitely up there though, Slott perfectly captured the feelings I had when I played the PS1 level against Monster Ock as a young kid, haha. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Yeah, it felt forced for sure. The funny thing is that Tony has a lot more to learn from Peter than the other way around, but of course that'd never happen due to Marvel's obsession with Peter being "young" and "relatable" and whatnot.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man