Default DCeased Dead Planet #5 Discussion and Spoilers

I would normally wait a bit but I want to talk about something other then politics today so I'm going with the undead and magic. Alright so I'm going to start out with a brief discussion before moving on to spoilers, and I will say that this issue has nothing to do with what happened last issue. None of the New Genesis stuff is here, instead we are focused on the impending doom that is Trigon and Constantine leading the remains of the Batfamily on a fetch quest to deal with the devil. As with just about every issue of DCeased we will see death, despair, but also a bit of excitement, I know a certain group of fans who will be happy but another who is not going to like what happened. Other then that its DCeased, if you like that series enjoy though I will say that it did feel a bit underwhelming not picking up from last issues but I trust Taylor enough to wait for the last two issues to really go into the chaos.

spoilers:
    Alright so Constantine goes on a power fetch quest, that is legitimately the entire issue. While the others are off world getting the cure Constantine and Swamp Thing decide to handle the devil laying waste to the earth for the souls of the undead issue. However this is John Constantine we are talking about here, so yeah while he has good intentions to save everyone it comes at the price of others.

With him and Swamp Thing comes Damian, Cassandra Cain, Jason Todd, and Rose Wilson who we find out is actually married to Jason now. Of course now that they know that the undead can be saved, they have to actually fight their way through instead of putting them down as they get to Nanda Parbat, home of Deadman, some monks, and the goddess Rama Kushna. They are welcomed in as we learn what Constantine is here for, first the Spear of Destiny which he flat out steals it and stabs Rama with and then the soul of Deadman who he traps within the remaining rags of Ragman. Constantine everyone, being a hero by messing over everyone else.

The last destination is the rock of eternity where they are attacked by, get this, anti-life Captain Marvel Junior. Yeah they actually call him that and it looks like pre-flashpoint Freddie so I guess the Marvels looked a bit different on this world but hey its an elseworld and you can do what you want. Unfortunately Freddie takes out Jason Todd, hes not infected but he doesn't survive basically being crushed to death by an undead member of the Marvel/shazam family, and unfortunately it is sad for all there. However there is something awesome that happens....Cassandra Cain picks up the staff of Shazam and becomes a Shazamed out Batgirl taking out Jr. Honestly if you are a Cassandra fan you will really appreciate.

So they go back to ivy's jungle, everyone mad at Constantine and Damian punching him for what he says is for Deadman but I can only assume is also for Jason. The last we see is that the Spectre speaks with John, that John is fueled in his actions by vegence and is preparing for Trigon with the combined might of spear of destiny and the staff of shazam.

I am going to say this, that this was definitely the calm before the storm. The story now hinges on the next two issues on what happens with Trigon, the anti-life Darkseid, the villains and their army of Amazos, and the race to cure the anti-life. There are only two issues left and I can only assume that everything is about to come crashing down at once. If the first series was dealing with everything as it happens from the start, this series is the heroes as they prepare for the big event that is to come at the end. All that is left is to see who survives and if the heroes can win.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

How many more issues are left in this series?

I've stopped picking up DC comics after the DC fandome dissed Superman and DC sabotaged Damian and Dick grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

I've stopped picking up DC comics after the DC fandome dissed Superman and DC sabotaged Damian and Dick grayson.
    Two, in December and January
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

I see that Taylor is following the Bendis route of "Hugs automatically makes a moment more charming!"

Except that it doesn't, not at all, and is as overused as Taylor's typical shock value moments.

Coupled with blatantly bad characterization for Damian (the hugger) along with the other predictable gory scenes there's not a lot to like here aside from some admitedly nice character moments.

Decent art I guess though.

Any mission with Constantine involved always means someone will die and this time it was Todd's.

Incredible Member

How much time has passed since the original DCeased series? What is throwing me off is the height of Damian as Batman. He's always been portrayed as short relative to everyone else, including Jonathan Kent. Puberty does explain things, but still.

Such classic action movie trope of "few days from retirement" or "in a loving relationship" being a death sentence.
    Last edited by lefthanded; 11-04-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    How much time has passed since the original DCeased series? What is throwing me off is the height of Damian as Batman. He's always been portrayed as short relative to everyone else, including Jonathan Kent. Puberty does explain things, but still.

Such classic action movie trope of "few days from retirement" or "in a loving relationship" being a death sentence.
    5 years past

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I see that Taylor is following the Bendis route of "Hugs automatically makes a moment more charming!"

Except that it doesn't, not at all, and is as overused as Taylor's typical shock value moments.

Coupled with blatantly bad characterization for Damian (the hugger) along with the other predictable gory scenes there's not a lot to like here aside from some admitedly nice character moments.

Decent art I guess though.
    Zero Affection and conditional love [still pending from caregivers who raised him] with a ton of replacement clones at the ready to replace him should fail to earn the right to be loved/step out of line.

Damian is a hugger, he's just too insecure to ask for fear of rejection. There's a reason why he collects pets.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

He was never shorter than Jon in the DCeased Universe

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I would normally wait a bit but I want to talk about something other then politics today so I'm going with the undead and magic. Alright so I'm going to start out with a brief discussion before moving on to spoilers, and I will say that this issue has nothing to do with what happened last issue. None of the New Genesis stuff is here, instead we are focused on the impending doom that is Trigon and Constantine leading the remains of the Batfamily on a fetch quest to deal with the devil. As with just about every issue of DCeased we will see death, despair, but also a bit of excitement, I know a certain group of fans who will be happy but another who is not going to like what happened. Other then that its DCeased, if you like that series enjoy though I will say that it did feel a bit underwhelming not picking up from last issues but I trust Taylor enough to wait for the last two issues to really go into the chaos.

spoilers:
    Alright so Constantine goes on a power fetch quest, that is legitimately the entire issue. While the others are off world getting the cure Constantine and Swamp Thing decide to handle the devil laying waste to the earth for the souls of the undead issue. However this is John Constantine we are talking about here, so yeah while he has good intentions to save everyone it comes at the price of others.

With him and Swamp Thing comes Damian, Cassandra Cain, Jason Todd, and Rose Wilson who we find out is actually married to Jason now. Of course now that they know that the undead can be saved, they have to actually fight their way through instead of putting them down as they get to Nanda Parbat, home of Deadman, some monks, and the goddess Rama Kushna. They are welcomed in as we learn what Constantine is here for, first the Spear of Destiny which he flat out steals it and stabs Rama with and then the soul of Deadman who he traps within the remaining rags of Ragman. Constantine everyone, being a hero by messing over everyone else.

The last destination is the rock of eternity where they are attacked by, get this, anti-life Captain Marvel Junior. Yeah they actually call him that and it looks like pre-flashpoint Freddie so I guess the Marvels looked a bit different on this world but hey its an elseworld and you can do what you want. Unfortunately Freddie takes out Jason Todd, hes not infected but he doesn't survive basically being crushed to death by an undead member of the Marvel/shazam family, and unfortunately it is sad for all there. However there is something awesome that happens....Cassandra Cain picks up the staff of Shazam and becomes a Shazamed out Batgirl taking out Jr. Honestly if you are a Cassandra fan you will really appreciate.

So they go back to ivy's jungle, everyone mad at Constantine and Damian punching him for what he says is for Deadman but I can only assume is also for Jason. The last we see is that the Spectre speaks with John, that John is fueled in his actions by vegence and is preparing for Trigon with the combined might of spear of destiny and the staff of shazam.

I am going to say this, that this was definitely the calm before the storm. The story now hinges on the next two issues on what happens with Trigon, the anti-life Darkseid, the villains and their army of Amazos, and the race to cure the anti-life. There are only two issues left and I can only assume that everything is about to come crashing down at once. If the first series was dealing with everything as it happens from the start, this series is the heroes as they prepare for the big event that is to come at the end. All that is left is to see who survives and if the heroes can win.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This Cass with Shazam powers sounds hella OP.
    Jason and Rose married. both of those are like catnip to social media fans of jay and Cass
    end of spoilers

What diss did Big Blue receive?

spoilers:
    This Cass with Shazam powers sounds hella OP.
    Jason and Rose married. both of those are like catnip to social media fans of jay and Cass
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It really is, because not only does she get Shazam powers but the dialogue states that basically with Shiva dead (as seen in Unkillables) Cass is literally the deadliest hand to hand fighter on earth.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What diss did Big Blue receive?
    I am assuming Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League, thats the only thing Superman was really in.
    Words to live by.