Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not necessarily. BL is apparently continuing since Tom King has said he has more upcoming BL books in the works. There may continue to be Kid OGNs. But yeah this is a big blow.
    Yeah, but Black Label is basically all adult-oriented stuff, right? It's the all-ages that was mentioned. The stuff that is at least appropriate for kids to read, even if not targeting them (though I do think making the main line - whatever form the mainline is in - enjoyable and accessible to kids could be a benefit in the long-term in making the medium popular and/or mainstream for kids again. But I'm not sure that, even with substantial business model changes, it's doable. Could just be dead and gone as a mainstream thing, with no hope of return.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Black Label. I meant the books that used to be branded as Zoom and Ink.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Killing the YA line is probably the stupidest thing they could do. Especially since they seem to be doing fairly well financially. Ironically I think the "adult" line and the YA line are probably the most successful. Though I haven't seen the numbers.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Killing the YA line is probably the stupidest thing they could do. Especially since they seem to be doing fairly well financially. Ironically I think the "adult" line and the YA line are probably the most successful. Though I haven't seen the numbers.
    I don't think we can really know how much the YA line.

It seems Raven OGN sells extremely good (and I think Beast Boy OGN too), but that seems to be an outlier. The other YA line comics don't seem to be at that level.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-11-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Even if the YA line isn't making much money, it's needed as a vehicle to bring in the next generation of customers. If DC is giving up on YA, then they're effectively admitting that the comic book business doesn't have much of a future. They're likely right in that estimation, but even so it seems a shame for them to make a move that can only hasten that inevitability.

Amazing Member

Considering the trend for the comic book market is going upwards with scholastic and viz consistently growing in both market share and revenue, it's more likely that dc executives want to follow the leader and start making books for younger audiences while downsizing their "main" line to only keep the books with guaranteed profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about Black Label. I meant the books that used to be branded as Zoom and Ink.
    BL is a similar situation. The head of the imprint was let go and many, including Bleeding Cool, thought that meant the imprint was done for. But that’s apparently not the case since King is still planning on making more BL books. I suspect there will also continue to be Kids books, it’s just the younger editors will now have to try to run it without the benefit of Wells’ experience.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

It seems Raven OGN sells extremely good (and I think Beast Boy OGN too), but that seems to be an outlier. The other YA line comics don't seem to be at that level.
    For the most part at various times Raven, Cass, Aqualad, Babs and Beast Boy OGN have be top sellers on Amazon. I know Beast Boys was very high in preorders a year before it came out.

YA books get you guaranteed sales. Especially if you get the right writer.

Yeah, but Black Label is basically all adult-oriented stuff, right?
    Yes it is. However those books can find a way into kids hands.

Including schools.

I hope you at least mean high/secondary school and not elementary/primary.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Not everything BL is adult. All Star Superman is a BL book. But it's obvious some in the upper echelons of Warners don't like the concept of it. If it's making money I don't see them getting rid of it but who knows.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

The Harley one sold just as well as the Raven one. The Catwoman one also sold very well.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I don't think we have exact sales numbers for all of them, but I feel like on a general basis the kids and the YA line sell well enough to where they keep producing the books as they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we have exact sales numbers for all of them, but I feel like on a general basis the kids and the YA line sell well enough to where they keep producing the books as they have.
    Since they're primarily sold to book outlets, you have to track the sales through those means. It's not as precise as, say, Diamond sales but there are ways to get a feel of if something sells.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

So does this mean Harley will remember that she's a child-murderer?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is Ben 10 coming to the DCU?

This very good show actually took franchise continuity very seriously!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate