Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is why, while I appreciated Tynion's run for what it was trying to do, I still fault it to some extent on the execution.

That being said, Dick's led the Batfamily before so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's either him, Bruce, or Babs (maybe Tim).

I haven't actually seen anyone really say that about Titans, but Dan abnett did a terrible job using Dick on the team. But admittedly he didn't seem to be a good Dick writer.

I feel like the consensus on the forum is that the Robins are usually not written well whenever they're thrown together or treated like the Ninja Turtles (granted, I love the Turtles, but...)
    I think this is the consensus in plenty of places, actually.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Now that you remind me, it was Tynion who first defined that Robin boxes. Fans have talked about it, but it's not official, until Eternal when Cass pointed that Dick is the heart, Jason the fist, and Tim the mind, then the same series near the end have Bruce explaining to Damian how each Robin represents an aspect of Batman, but better.
    I should say the division of abilities was mentioned in comics before Tynion (even before New52).

I remember this was mentioned in an issue of Bruce Wayne Road Home (obviously, Jason wasn't included at that time).

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I should say the division of abilities was mentioned in comics before Tynion (even before New52).

I remember this was mentioned in an issue of Bruce Wayne Road Home (obviously, Jason wasn't included at that time).
    I don't remember about division of each Robins on Bruce Wayne Road Home (unless the comparison only between Dick and Tim), but I agree with you, the attempt to describe each Robin on different characterization is already happened before Tynion, although he is indeed the one who solidified it (also certain issue of Heroes in Crisis). I remember one issue on Tim Robin era that said about Dick saw Robin as thrill, Jason saw Robin as game, and Tim saw Robin as the way to become the best detective or something like that. Of course, that was simple untrue and plain insulting, just like every time they tried to put each Robins on certain boxes.

Ya the division was a Dixon thing.

BANNED

If there is gonna be a Batfam book, its basically gonna be Batman & his Underlings.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    If there is gonna be a Batfam book, its basically gonna be Batman & his Underlings.
    I'd actually laugh if DC released a series under this title.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    They have that, it's called Justice League
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    They have that, it's called the Outsiders
    FTFY

The league is clearly his sensational squad of super powered friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    No one said that these characters can't have both a solo and a team book. What was said is that a team book not including the usual suspects doesn't endanger the usual suspects. Of course the lesser knowns not being used anywhere does endanger them.

One of the reasons, I suspect, that all these characters haven't usually been in a team together (save for special events) is because in the past they've had their own teams that they already lead (Titans, BoP, Outlaws etc).
    Oh yeah, I said that they can support a solo and a team book, which wasn't quite the best wording for what I was trying to get at I guess. But while these characters are no Batman, I think that the assumption that a character can be in too many places at once is misguided. So I don't see why they couldn't have a solo book, a team book, and a presence in a Batfamily book.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya the division was a Dixon thing.
    Division between the two Robins at the time? Not quite the same as the problem we have now.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Division between the two Robins at the time? Not quite the same as the problem we have now.
    Ya, Tim the smart one, Dick the jock, Jason the disobedient dead one. Others have compounded on this over the years but thats how Dixon cut out a niche or thing for Tim. Thats why its such a prominent thing with Tynion, cause he's heavily influenced by that era and how they did things.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-12-2020 at 06:01 PM.

I think everyone is thinking too deeply into what the book is. It's probably just going to be a Batman family containment book. A place where all these characters DC doesn't know what to do with grouped up in one place. That's its main purpose and then to tie into whatever Batman event Tynion is working on currently. As a Dick Grayson fan I hope he isn't part of it as he tends to get written pretty terribly when he is stuck with the other Robins or Batman family characters in this kind of book.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

A Robin's book is the kind of thing people who are invested in Robins should never want.

Only tumblr wants such a book and it only works with the Batfamily we see on social media.

I don't want a Robins book and certainly nor one written by Tynion.
    Tynion is a good writer except when you throw Tim in the mix, then suddenly Dick is telling Tim how he's the smartest, Damian is telling everyone how much of a blood son he is and Jason becomes a dumb **** up who tries to get minors drunk.

No thank you.

Ya, Tim the smart one, Dick the jock, Jason the disobedient dead one. Others have compounded on this over the years but thats how Dixon cut out a niche or thing for Tim. Thats why its such a prominent thing with Tynion, cause he's heavily influenced by that era and how they did things.
    I don't think Dixon really wrote Dick as much of a jock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I think everyone is thinking too deeply into what the book is. It's probably just going to be a Batman family containment book. A place where all these characters DC doesn't know what to do with grouped up in one place. That's its main purpose and then to tie into whatever Batman event Tynion is working on currently. As a Dick Grayson fan I hope he isn't part of it as he tends to get written pretty terribly when he is stuck with the other Robins or Batman family characters in this kind of book.
    "Halfway house." "Containment." Jeez, it seems like people really jump to negative connotations to a team book if the characters don't have solo books.

Further Batfamily exposer is a “demotion” for the likes of Nightwing or Batgirl, but a opportunity for everyone else.
    But it is a demotion. Bruce's apprentices were his students, then they graduated and became capable of handling most (street level) threats on their own. Even more so with Nightwing since he became Nightwing to get out from under Batman's shadow. Batwoman got demoted. She was an independent vigilante, then she got put into a team with Batman, so in her second solo she was doing missions on Batman's orders. I don't really care, as long as all these characters are still fun to read, but the adult independent characters do lose some of their independence when they get put directly into a Batman led team.

With the newer non-adult characters getting put into team Batman, well, isn't that just their apprenticeship? Not a demotion if they're still in training.
    As for Azrael, well Azrael doesn't need to be part of the Bat-Family, and was recently in another team, he's doing fine as far as I know, I only mention him for the sake of conversation. Batwing? I don't know, rumor is he's a Batman in Future State.

Anyway, who said Bat-Family exposure is. No one said that, they said being a Batman underling is a demotion.

Having finally read Punchline Special last night, I think it might be Cass, Steph, and Harper during Punchline's trial making sure key witnesses aren't attacked to try and keep them quiet or dissuade them from testifying against Alexis. A possible B-plot would be following Cullen and Bluff (reading it I realized his "name" is probably a card reference, similar to Joker) escalating their actions and catching the attention of Clownhunter.

I think the the Batman and Robin Eternal reference is a Chekhov's Gun point and that Cullen might be responsible for someone getting hurt in the future.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.