Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    My second point wasn’t necessarily about those book specifically, I should have structured that better.

How do they matter when they are left out of things that matter. So it’s not a separate issue. They can’t keep taking them for granted and think that doesn’t hurt them or isn’t going to catch up. That’s illogical.

Semantics.

That’s naive. They originated the concept of the Batfamily, but you don’t think audiences would pick the implications of designing a Batfamily team with out them. What exactly are they then if they aren’t even worthy of being on a Batfamily team.
    If the book is called Batfamily is pretty likely the main Batfamily members will be there.

However, if the book is called Gotham Knights (or something similar) is possible not all the main Batfamily would be included. After all, they could have other characters in that book.

What exactly are they then if they aren’t even worthy of being on a Batfamily team.
    These are the characters included in most of the animations and videogames - they aren't in danger of losing their status quo as Bat-Family to the newer characters if the newer ones get added to a team book.

This whole thing is still hypothetical anyway.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If the book is called Batfamily is pretty likely the main Batfamily members will be there.

However, if the book is called Gotham Knights (or something similar) is possible not all the main Batfamily would be included. After all, they could have other characters in that book.
    Gotham Knights would be a good name for this hypothetical comic, and a good way to thematically connect it to the game of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    These are the characters included in most of the animations and videogames - they aren't in danger of losing their status quo as Bat-Family to the newer characters if the newer ones get added to a team book.

This whole thing is still hypothetical anyway.
    Further supporting that it would just be counterintuitive to then not use them in a hypothetical Batfamily book.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Gotham Knights would be a good name for this hypothetical comic, and a good way to thematically connect it to the game of the same name.
    Which to demonstrate my point here, let’s say they did that and people pick up the book only to see most of the characters in the game aren’t in the book.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-11-2020 at 06:51 PM.

So are we assuming a Batfamily team book should tie-in to the game? Good news for Tim then .

Although I suspect we'll probably see other characters appear in that game, either as DLC or in a sequel.

I don't see why Batman can be on the Justice League, Outsiders, Gotham Knights, etc. and still have two solos but Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin can't have a solo and a team book.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I don't see why Batman can be on the Justice League, Outsiders, Gotham Knights, etc. and still have two solos but Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin can't have a solo and a team book.
    No one said that these characters can't have both a solo and a team book. What was said is that a team book not including the usual suspects doesn't endanger the usual suspects. Of course the lesser knowns not being used anywhere does endanger them.

One of the reasons, I suspect, that all these characters haven't usually been in a team together (save for special events) is because in the past they've had their own teams that they already lead (Titans, BoP, Outlaws etc).

The Batgirls, as far as we know, are getting their own team anyway - which a few are speculating is currently what we're talking about in this thread anyway.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 11-11-2020 at 08:20 PM.

How many Batfamily teams have there been?

Batman, Robin, and Batgirl were more of an unofficial trio than a team (although Post-Crisis and New 52 had them working close together).

There was the Bat-Squad in No Man's Land that led into the 90's Batfamily.

Batman Incorporated.

Tynion's Gotham Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tynion's Gotham Knights.
    Which reminds me, one of the problems with it was the OP element, resulting in too many of the stories having the entire city being in danger. It was still fun, but too often the team as a whole felt OP IMHO, which lowered the stakes.

Speaking of the whole 'heavy-hitter' thing, lets not pretend that Tynion's Gotham Knights didn't do that anyway, I mean Batwing didn't even get a story focus. Red Robin and Batwoman got the bulk of the 'screen time' (or most of the stories were all about them anyway, if not actually the screen time) - so I don't get what people are so worried about with newer/more niche characters taking away all the attention, they won't. Not with a current/former Robin or Batgirl anyway, (though arguably Batwoman's status is more up in the air these days, but that's a different topic).

The other thing is: doesn't putting Nightwing, and the others who've mostly moved on from being Batman's underlings, back under his direct leadership feel a little like a demotion? Most of them have been leaders in their own right by now.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 11-11-2020 at 11:27 PM.

At least Nightwing is usually considered the second in command of the Bat family. Though he wasn't on the Gotham Knights team so Red Robin and Batwoman were in that role there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nightwing’s series was made so dependent on Batman at this point it’s moot. Titans won’t do anything with him “because he has solo”, not that a Titans book even exists, and they dug such a hole with his book it’s needs a Bat events to stay afloat. But that is the same kind of spin that gets repeated with Batgirl. Further Batfamily exposer is a “demotion” for the likes of Nightwing or Batgirl, but a opportunity for everyone else.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-12-2020 at 04:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Nightwing’s series was made so dependent on Batman at this point it’s moot. Titans won’t do anything with him “because he has solo”, not that a Titans book even exists, and they dug such a hole with his book it’s needs a Bat events to stay afloat. But that is the same kind of spin that gets repeated with Batgirl. Further Batfamily exposer is a “demotion” for the likes of Nightwing or Batgirl, but a opportunity for everyone else.
    I think this is often because people think Nightwing or Batgirl are enough popular that they can be independent heroes from Batman.

I'm not so sure that this is really true, but that's the opinion I've seen in Nightwing thread.

Instead, fans of other minor Batfamily members know their characters aren't so popular, they need a place for their characters to be.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-12-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Also, I'm not so sure fans in this forum will be so happy with a Batfamily team with the usual suspects at the end.

People complain about the division of abilities between Batfamily members (especially Robins), that's exactly what will happen when they make a team with the "usual suspects" of the Batfamily.

Barbara will be the smart one on that team, while Dick or Jason will be reduced to certain characteristics.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Which reminds me, one of the problems with it was the OP element, resulting in too many of the stories having the entire city being in danger. It was still fun, but too often the team as a whole felt OP IMHO, which lowered the stakes.

Speaking of the whole 'heavy-hitter' thing, lets not pretend that Tynion's Gotham Knights didn't do that anyway, I mean Batwing didn't even get a story focus. Red Robin and Batwoman got the bulk of the 'screen time' (or most of the stories were all about them anyway, if not actually the screen time) - so I don't get what people are so worried about with newer/more niche characters taking away all the attention, they won't. Not with a current/former Robin or Batgirl anyway, (though arguably Batwoman's status is more up in the air these days, but that's a different topic).

The other thing is: doesn't putting Nightwing, and the others who've mostly moved on from being Batman's underlings, back under his direct leadership feel a little like a demotion? Most of them have been leaders in their own right by now.
    This is why, while I appreciated Tynion's run for what it was trying to do, I still fault it to some extent on the execution.

That being said, Dick's led the Batfamily before so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's either him, Bruce, or Babs (maybe Tim).
    I haven't actually seen anyone really say that about Titans, but Dan abnett did a terrible job using Dick on the team. But admittedly he didn't seem to be a good Dick writer.
    Also, I'm not so sure fans in this forum will be so happy with a Batfamily team with the usual suspects the end.

People complain about the division of abilities between Batfamily members (especially Robins), that's exactly what will happen when they make a team with the "usual suspects" of the Batfamily.

Barbara will be the smart one on that team, while Dick or Jason will be reduced to certain characteristics.
    I feel like the consensus on the forum is that the Robins are usually not written well whenever they're thrown together or treated like the Ninja Turtles (granted, I love the Turtles, but...)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Also, I'm not so sure fans in this forum will be so happy with a Batfamily team with the usual suspects the end.

Now that you remind me, it was Tynion who first defined that Robin boxes. Fans have talked about it, but it's not official, until Eternal when Cass pointed that Dick is the heart, Jason the fist, and Tim the mind, then the same series near the end have Bruce explaining to Damian how each Robin represents an aspect of Batman, but better.