Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    Having finally read Punchline Special last night, I think it might be Cass, Steph, and Harper during Punchline's trial making sure key witnesses aren't attacked to try and keep them quiet or dissuade them from testifying against Alexis. A possible B-plot would be following Cullen and Bluff (reading it I realized his "name" is probably a card reference, similar to Joker) escalating their actions and catching the attention of Clownhunter.

I think the the Batman and Robin Eternal reference is a Chekhov's Gun point and that Cullen might be responsible for someone getting hurt in the future.
    It would make sense for the new book to follow up the Punchline one-shot and Tynion's new characters instead of just having to contain it all in Batman.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would make sense for the new book to follow up the Punchline one-shot and Tynion's new characters instead of just having to contain it all in Batman.
    Who would get top billing here? Punchline (to follow up on the oneshot) or Bluebird?

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Who would get top billing here? Punchline (to follow up on the oneshot) or Bluebird?
    Hmm that's tough to say. I think the trial and the testimonies should be top priority, so Punchline? Maybe Leslie instead? They could cut away to Harper, Cass, and Steph investigating and keeping tabs on the key witnesses just in case, and intervening when necessary.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I should say the division of abilities was mentioned in comics before Tynion (even before New52).

I remember this was mentioned in an issue of Bruce Wayne Road Home (obviously, Jason wasn't included at that time).
    From the moment of Tim’s becoming Robin, his cognitive abilities have always been highlighted to be stronger than Dick’s. Regardless of how great of a Detective he was shown to be, Pre-Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    From the moment of Tim’s becoming Robin, his cognitive abilities have always been highlighted to be stronger than Dick’s. Regardless of how great of a Detective he was shown to be, Pre-Crisis.
    Doesn't feel like they have this problem with the Batgirls, or at least as obviously so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Doesn't feel like they have this problem with the Batgirls, or at least as obviously so.
    That is because the role of these three characters had been pretty different when they have been together in the past. Unlike the Robins, they have never been in a similar level when they are together.

However, they are already trying to create a division of skills between Cassandra and Stephanie (as you can see on Joker War Zone).
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-14-2020 at 11:28 PM.

It was the same with the Batgirls. Babs the the smart one, Cass the fighter. Steph becoming Batgirl came decades later from her introduction as a character, so they didn’t care about creating a division with her as she was a supporting character with her own independent identity. Her thing as Batgirl became the underdog where she didn’t really have one. Which was actually a refreshing spin on everyone having to have a thing. But now she’s a genius hacker too, so I don’t know her character is weird now.
    But ya, they used the division thing with the Batgirls too. I just think people care less about it with them. They rarely function as Batgirls or in Batgirl like roles at the same time, or at least not near each other. And when they do their division seem more generally accepted. Like people don’t seem to care if Cass smacks Steph cause she not good enough to fight with her, and no one really expects Cass to even read let alone use a computer or what have you. Try that with a Robins and fans would quickly scream bull. At the same time though, say if Babs were to ever beat Shiva in a fight. Watch out.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-15-2020 at 02:39 AM.

This reminds me, I wish we could've gotten Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl across time team-up he teased at the end of his run...
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It was the same with the Batgirls. Babs the the smart one, Cass the fighter. Steph becoming Batgirl came decades later from her introduction as a character, so they didn’t care about creating a division with her as she was a supporting character with her own independent identity. Her thing as Batgirl became the underdog where she didn’t really have one. Which was actually a refreshing spin on everyone having to have a thing. But now she’s a genius hacker too, so I don’t know her character is weird now.
    But ya, they used the division thing with the Batgirls too. I just think people care less about it with them. They rarely function as Batgirls or in Batgirl like roles at the same time, or at least not near each other. And when they do their division seem more generally accepted. Like people don’t seem to care if Cass smacks Steph cause she not good enough to fight with her, and no one really expects Cass to even read let alone use a computer or what have you. Try that with a Robins and fans would quickly scream bull. At the same time though, say if Babs were to ever beat Shiva in a fight. Watch out.
    I think there is stuff that people accept from a character perspective because that's who the character is, although I know people who acknowledge that Cass was a bad friend to Steph at times.

People would probably balk at most characters beating Shiva in a straight-up fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People would probably balk at most characters beating Shiva in a straight-up fight.
    Shiva is apparently a benchmark for measuring the capabilities of your Bat-Character. Crysis used to be a benchmark for computers, but for Bat-Heroes you test them on Shiva.

I'm not sure why titles like Detective and Action aren't the family containment books. Detective Rebirth was just a bat-family containment book and it worked out well in my opinion. I'm sure if you did the same for Action and got Connor, Kara, Steel and so on in one book, then the reception would be positive. It's not like we need two Batman or Superman books at once, especially since one naturally ends up being better than the other - it's redundant overall, and the fanbases for legacy characters are enough combined to keep steady sales.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    I'm not sure why titles like Detective and Action aren't the family containment books. Detective Rebirth was just a bat-family containment book and it worked out well in my opinion. I'm sure if you did the same for Action and got Connor, Kara, Steel and so on in one book, then the reception would be positive. It's not like we need two Batman or Superman books at once, especially since one naturally ends up being better than the other - it's redundant overall, and the fanbases for legacy characters are enough combined to keep steady sales.
    Because Batman and Superman are big enough characters to support two books. In Batman's case his Batman book is straight up heroics where he is dealing with his rogues/costumed crazies. And Detective is the more gritty seedy underbelly of Gotham and him being a detective solving impossible crimes. They both fit him equally and encompasses his dual nature as superhero and master detective, and they both sell well consistently among the top selling DC titles. What Detective should not be is a dumping ground for characters that can't stand on their own or hold a solo, especially when Batman gets nothing out of it. Why should he have to lose his book that he's had for decades to give it to lesser characters? Let them get their own books and then let their fans support the book's continuation through strong sales, it will either swim or sink but it will do so on its own and the strength of it's characters. Besides the family fans who hate Batman will still hate him even if his Detective book is given over to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Because Batman and Superman are big enough characters to support two books. In Batman's case his Batman book is straight up heroics where he is dealing with his rogues/costumed crazies. And Detective is the more gritty seedy underbelly of Gotham and him being a detective solving impossible crimes. They both fit him equally and encompasses his dual nature as superhero and master detective, and they both sell well consistently among the top selling DC titles. What Detective should not be is a dumping ground for characters that can't stand on their own or hold a solo, especially when Batman gets nothing out of it. Why should he have to lose his book that he's had for decades to give it to lesser characters? Let them get their own books and then let their fans support the book's continuation through strong sales, it will either swim or sink but it will do so on its own and the strength of it's characters. Besides the family fans who hate Batman will still hate him even if his Detective book is given over to the family.
    Right now I'd say Batman is more for world-building, major, stories while 'Tec is the scaled back, day-to-day, Batman adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I'd argue that the separation of Batman's superhero side and his detective side is actually a detriment overall. The main 'Batman' book always has to focus on big and bombastic, to the point where there are constant villain takeover plots year after year, while 'Detective' is never able to affect continuity because it's stories are generally filler. Detective's storylines are entirely beholden to whatever the 'Batman' title is doing anyway, why shouldn't someone else take it over? It's not like it's driving his story forward anymore.

I know many many people like that there is a separation between the two, and it doubles sales for Batman so DC would never take it away from him, but I feel that the main Batman book could use a little more smaller scale detective stuff, rather than Bane takes over Gotham for the umpteenth time.

spoilers:
    I'd prefer DC give 'Detective' to Tim and 'Action' to Connor actually - but I think that would be really unpopular.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by km_sus; 11-19-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Tynion did a interview on the word baloon podcast last night and was asked about this book. He couldn't reveal much, but did say Jim Gordon will return and play a important role.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Tynion did a interview on the word baloon podcast last night and was asked about this book. He couldn't reveal much, but did say Jim Gordon will return and play a important role.
    Batgirls Eternal