Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default Do you think Thanos will job in the new Eternals?

I'm dreading the possibility of Thanos being used as a one-shot jobber villain to put Ikaris over in the second issue of the new Eternals comic, like how he was used by Bendis in Civil War II and GOTG.

I don't think Ikaris alone should be able to beat Thanos in a duel. Ikaris is barely above oldschool green Hulk's level (maybe i'm wrong, i don't remember his feats well) while Thanks was able to beat Superman level characters like Silver Surfer, Thor, Beta Ray Bill and the Fallen One (Samaritan) and made Pre-Aaron Odin (Blood & Thunder) and Tyrant (Cosmic Powers) struggle a bit.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

He should, and it'll be glorious.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I'm dreading the possibility of Thanos being used as a one-shot jobber villain to put Ikaris over in the second issue of the new Eternals comic, like how he was used by Bendis in Civil War II and GOTG.

I don't think Ikaris alone should be able to beat Thanos in a duel. Ikaris is barely above oldschool green Hulk's level (maybe i'm wrong, i don't remember his feats well) while Thanks was able to beat Superman level characters like Silver Surfer, Thor, Beta Ray Bill and the Fallen One (Samaritan) and made Pre-Aaron Odin (Blood & Thunder) and Tyrant (Cosmic Powers) struggle a bit.
    The Eternals have a built-in hack in that the Prime Eternal powers can be handed off to one of them if they become the ruler. Those powers, depending on how you interpret it, would put Ikaris in range of one of the weaker versions of Thanos as it's meant to be a Skyfather level power. Otherwise, no, as far as I know Ikaris hasn't received any additional boosts or progressed in his Eternal training to levels that would be a match for Hyperion, let alone Thanos.

That said, it's Marvel. If they want Thanos to get jobbed, Thanos gets jobbed.

I think he'll fly them around in his Thanos Copter.......

Today Minithanos 1000 000 bc in Avengers

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/aven...rvel-spoilers/

While I hope he doesn't get jobbed out, it's kinda what he does at this point so him jobbing won't be any surprise to me.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Today Minithanos 1000 000 bc in Avengers

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/aven...rvel-spoilers/
    Ugh. Damn it Aaron and your continuity rape. Thanos never really cared about being a ''conqueror''. Read his speech to Mistress Death in Captain Marvel #31 (1974).

I think the character peaked with Marvel The End (2003) and with the exception of Keith Giffen and Abnett, no one has made a good Thanos story after that. I agreed that the 2014 Annual and the 2014-16 OGN trilogy by Starlin were needed, because too many modern Marvel writers were messing up Thanos' continuity and personality. But the following trilogy was just ''meh'' in my opinion. (i liked Infinity Siblings though and the role Eros had in that story was good)

I firmly maintain that Thanos should be retired for good and never make other appearances, as no one in modern marvel is willing to write the character as more than just a one dimensional monster. Kinda like how everybody writes Thor as Conan with a hammer and Mead fetish nowadays.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-05-2020 at 12:21 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Ikarus wasn't ever on or above old school Hulk, i mean he was fairly ineffective again robot Hulk who is either on or below regular Hulks level at the time, he also got beat up by Red Hulk(without Rulk even using any draining on him and no this wasn't under Loeb). So no he shouldn't be of any concern to Thanos but this is comics and anything is possible.

Also at the least Thanos doesn't job as much as Darkseid, cause man has that dude been made a joke in recent years.

Gillian is a much better writer than Bendis so I wouldn’t be too worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Ikarus wasn't ever on or above old school Hulk, i mean he was fairly ineffective again robot Hulk who is either on or below regular Hulks level at the time, he also got beat up by Red Hulk(without Rulk even using any draining on him and no this wasn't under Loeb). So no he shouldn't be of any concern to Thanos but this is comics and anything is possible.

Also at the least Thanos doesn't job as much as Darkseid, cause man has that dude been made a joke in recent years.
    Not over in JLO which no one reads. That was 25 issues of Darkseid bodying the entire cosmic DCU. He just wrecked everyone.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Thanos is a worldwide known villain thanks to the MCU. They’d be silly to retire him in the comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not over in JLO which no one reads. That was 25 issues of Darkseid bodying the entire cosmic DCU. He just wrecked everyone.
    He has moments of jobbing in JLO too though.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Ugh. Damn it Aaron and your continuity rape. Thanos never really cared about being a ''conqueror''. Read his speech to Mistress Death in Captain Marvel #31 (1974).
    I don't think "never" is accurate. He just evolved beyond such concerns fairly early on.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Fantastic Member

...boy oh boy.

I can't wait to see Aaron write The Sentry alongside his beloved Jane Foster.

This, and other reasons is exactly why my current ongoing pull list is a big fat zero.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post

The Cosmic Powered Hulk (CPH) automaton was meant to be as powerful as the real Hulk. Instead of rage, however, its x-factor was the ability to continue absorbing cosmic energy in any form to increase its strength exponentially. CPH wasn't as invulnerable as the Hulk, but it did have a "healing" factor of sorts. It took the Eternal skyfather, Zuras, to defeat CPH, iirc, by siphoning off all of the construct's cosmic energies. Ikaris was no match for CPH then, and unless something has changed recently, he should be no match for him now.

Needless to say, Thanos would easily kill Ikaris with very little effort, if written to his true intellect or power levels. I'm going to guess that if the two face each other in a death match, Ikaris will teleport away to save his own life, even if using that power is excruciating.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-05-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Unfortunately, since Apocalypse is effectively off limits as a well known heavy hitter from another IP* that the Eternals have tango’d with, Thanos is all they’ve got

*since this would be the first time Thanos interacts properly with then