Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Clark Kent of mars

Is there any arcs/storyline that's similar in concept to john carter of mars? (Except, with superman and dcu mars) . As you know dc has a mars that had life or has life with different kinds of martians and other creatures. If it doesn't exist. Why do you think such an arc has never been done before ? Also, would you be interested in such a storyline and why?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-05-2020 at 03:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Extraordinary Member

I can't say exactly, but when I saw that movie, my first thought was that in the broad strokes, if you sort of mentally squinted, there were similarities between the movie and the Golden Age Superman. Now, keep in mind my only knowledge of John Carter of Mars is from that movie, and I've found that movies can depart quite a bit from the source material, so....I don't really know anything about John Carter. And not too much about Golden Age Superman, but that was my general impression. Specific stories now, you'll need someone with quite a bit more knowledge of this subject.

I was talking about the books or even comics of john carter. I used the pic of john carter movie because i found it easily.

Superman # 417 features an imaginary story where Kal just straight up grows up on Mars. I've never read it, but I remembered the cover. Pretty similar to what you posted.

Superman_v.1_417.jpg

But that may be more on the nose than what you wanted, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Superman # 417 features an imaginary story where Kal just straight up grows up on Mars. I've never read it, but I remembered the cover. Pretty similar to what you posted.

Superman_v.1_417.jpg

That's exactly what the kind of story I was looking for.Thanks a bunch.

There was a pre Crisis story called “The One Man Justice League” where Supes’ rocket landed on different planets, and he wound up becoming different types of hero. On a planet of giants he was the Atom, on a water planet he became Aquaman.

Can’t remember what book it was in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    There was a pre Crisis story called “The One Man Justice League” where Supes’ rocket landed on different planets, and he wound up becoming different types of hero. On a planet of giants he was the Atom, on a water planet he became Aquaman.

That's pretty rad.let me look it up.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

I remember that they did another version of that post-Crisis. One where he landed on Mars, one where he landed on Rann, one where he landed on Thanagar, and my personal favorite, the one where he landed on Oa.

Superman_Vol_2_147.jpg
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superman_v.1_417.jpg

Awww beat me to this and the post crisis arc. Some of my favorites of all time.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I remember that they did another version of that post-Crisis. One where he landed on Mars, one where he landed on Rann, one where he landed on Thanagar, and my personal favorite, the one where he landed on Oa.

Superman_Vol_2_147.jpg
    Oh that’s neat! I’m gonna have to find those issues, ty!

Weirdly enough, the images ive seen for future state superman instantly gave me john carter of mars vibes. John carter was actually one of those characters that ultimately helped inspire the creation of superman.

Retired

Edgar Rice Burroughs' A PRINCESS OF MARS (1912) is one of the foundational works of fantasy in the 20th century and you can see it influencing all kinds of other fantasy fiction that followed, including comic books. So, of course, Siegel and Shuster were influenced by that book--directly, but also indirectly since the other science fiction they were pulling from was itself spawned by Burroughs' vision--for example Flash Gordon.

The story of how E.R.B. came to write A PRINCESS OF MARS is just as gripping as any work of fiction.

Superman's jumping in the early comics is a lot like the jumping that John does on Barsoom (their name for Mars). The main city where Dejah Thoris lives is Helium--helium is a noble gas, so is krypton. The other noble gases, by the way, are argon, neon, xenon and radon, which I think have all been appropriated by fantasy writers.

D.C. had John Carter for a little while in the early 1970s. His feature in WEIRD WORLDS was adapted from Burroughs by Marv Wolfman and Murphy Anderson (later Sal Amendola). For the big spread of Duo Damsel and Bouncing Boy's wedding on Mars (in SUPERBOY 200), Dave Cockrum included Tars Tarkas as one of the guests. When Marvel got their hands on the Burroughs characters later in the 1970s, it was again Marv Wolfman who was the main writer--and Dave Cockrum even got to work on the art, although Gil Kane was the main artist.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Superman 417 was written by Elliot S. Maggin and I find a lot of those late Swan/pre Byrne comics to be really inventive and they do a nice job of showing how Superman can really work in a short sci-fi or fantasy story. Continuity be damned!

I haven't read those Martian books, I have read Tarzan though, and I was surprised John Carter was a confederate soldier! Lovecraft Country on HBO talks about this and it reminded me of the Jonah Hex debate on the DC Board. It helped me make peace with Jonah Hex actually. Lovecraft Country I mean.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 11-05-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Superman was inspired by two ERB creations. John Carter of Mars and Tarzan of the Apes. There's a reason Lois Lane was/still is played for a damsel in distress. Waiting for Superman to save her, like Tarzan saves Jane.