Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Unpopular opinion: Hickman's X-Men is going downhill

First of all, don't get me wrong: I loved House of X and Powers of X. They were great and Hickman is a creative genius, so he perfectly managed to "reboot" the X-Men introducing new dynamics and the whole Krakoan nation thing. BUT the main series has been quite terrible after that. I only read X-Men, X-Force and New Mutants and Hickman's series is the weakest among these. In X-Force and New Mutants there is a lot of action and the story is narrated in a clear and interesting way (Beast's lust for power, Domino's issues, the people's hatred for mutants and so on), while in X-Men NOTHING happens. 14 issues are made of 95% convoluted dialogues and 5% of action, sometimes. I personally think that Hickman is a genius planner (character's motivations, worlds, species) but a terrible story teller, he just can't balance rythm, dialogues and action. I'm curious to know if I'm the only one here.

Incredible Member

i like Marauders and Hellions
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Typical where is my action comic fans having meaning less fighting is not interesting. You need time to get to know the people that the mutants are going to be fighting. If they had just started fighting right away you wouldn't care when they got killed off. The villians need time to become characters and not just villian of the month.

Not only that but Hickman is building not only Krakoa history and world but also Otherworld history so when things hit the fan between those nations it's going to be insane. I mean mad Jim Jaspers being around alone tells you the level of the stuff that is going to happen in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    First of all, don't get me wrong: I loved House of X and Powers of X. They were great and Hickman is a creative genius, so he perfectly managed to "reboot" the X-Men introducing new dynamics and the whole Krakoan nation thing. BUT the main series has been quite terrible after that. I only read X-Men, X-Force and New Mutants and Hickman's series is the weakest among these. In X-Force and New Mutants there is a lot of action and the story is narrated in a clear and interesting way (Beast's lust for power, Domino's issues, the people's hatred for mutants and so on), while in X-Men NOTHING happens. 14 issues are made of 95% convoluted dialogues and 5% of action, sometimes. I personally think that Hickman is a genius planner (character's motivations, worlds, species) but a terrible story teller, he just can't balance rythm, dialogues and action. I'm curious to know if I'm the only one here.
    I kinda agree and disagree. I loved House of X and Powers of X and I'm starting to get really disappointed in the X-Men line as a whole. But for me the problem is not Hickman's work but everything else. His team of writers cannot keep up with him (besides the author of X-Force who also suddenly is getting weaker and weaker from issue to issue).

By now we only seem to have world-building without compelling storylines. I think Hickman needs to start writing a second book and get actively involved in writing complex storylines (without only being short one issue storylines). It's annoying if storylines are teased without going anywhere for MONTHS (or even a year...). Comicbooks are just too short and expensive in general. I understand why the medium is barely getting any attention.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Why does this thread look so familiar?
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Hickman made it clear before X-Men # 1 came out that this series was not going to have a traditional narrative or a fixed team and that it would serve to introduce elements for Dawn of X.

It is serving its purpose as promised. He even said "If you want a traditional and linear narrative you can read Marauders."

Mighty Member

I think X-Men issues are based on nation building so it's a bit heavy while the rest of the titles are fighting villains.

So far, X-Men, X-Force, Marauders, Hellions were quite enjoyable.

The worst of the lot were New Mutants with the runner-up being Excalibur..

While the most recent issue was a total letdown, as a whole i think the quality has been pretty consistent. I think we were definitely spoiled by HOX and POX because the main book is really slow. It also doesn’t help that the Giant Size issues were very hyped up but had similar problems to the main run. I have faith that it’ll all payoff, but I’m hoping that we see a significant shift in the main title after XoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    While the most recent issue was a total letdown, as a whole i think the quality has been pretty consistent. I think we were definitely spoiled by HOX and POX because the main book is really slow. It also doesn’t help that the Giant Size issues were very hyped up but had similar problems to the main run. I have faith that it’ll all payoff, but I’m hoping that we see a significant shift in the main title after XoS.
    Unless Hickman goes on to write a second series, the X-Men approach will likely remain the same.

Mighty Member

The problem I see is that Marvel is too greedy, they are trying to push as many new titles as possible without regards to quality.

Thus, we have seen the story being dragged or repeated many times just so they can earn more money.

During Chris time, the quality were much better with loads of actions, surprises and new story. Hickman's stories still can't compare with Chris Claremont's initial run.

One of the reason was that at that time, Marvel had only one or two X-titles ie. UXM and New Mutants.

Honestly what he is giving us is still better than pre Hickman X-Men. I’m just realizing X-men readers are not patient at all and they only want to read about their own favorite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Honestly what he is giving us is still better than pre Hickman X-Men. I’m just realizing X-men readers are not patient at all and they only want to read about their own favorite characters.
    This, every month we have people complaining that we still don't know about the Children of the Vault. Like, just chill, they are not there forever.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I don't care for everything going on in Hickman's era but I'm more interested in what him and his team are bringing to the table more so than what came before.

I just think comic fans, in general, aren't patient anymore. Sometimes I don't blame them since so many modern comics are decompressed and dragged.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 11-05-2020 at 10:03 AM.

I won't buy any Marvel comics till Gambit and Rogue will be released from Tini Howard's prison.

Well. Will buy only Larraz and Gracia art because it is beyond beautiful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I don't care for everything going on in Hickman's era but I'm more interested in what him and his team are bringing to the table more so than what came before.

I just think comic fans, in general, aren't patient anymore.
    Who would be if they just read the same story 3 issues in a row with minor revisions lol