Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Judging by some reactions to how the event turned out so far, i get the faint feeling it will be some years until parts of the X-men fandom won't react with an annoyed sound everytime swords are brought up as plot point in the following stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as "worse than Chuck Austen" but the reading experience is about as painful for me, considering how my favorite character is treated.
    Reading on what is going on in the book, i can understand the negative opinion, but somehow the book seems to sell well enough that it has lasted past the first year allready, so it seems to have some audience which seem to enjoy or at least buy it despite the apparent quality level of the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Awww. What about ironic/campy appreciation? (...) The books thought so hard they were subverting/inverting/whatever tropes, but (somehow?!) didn't realize they were doing it in the most obnoxious/cringey/juvenile way possible.
    This might sound weird, but i have the slight feeling part of the writing team genuinely thought this is a normal way to progress a story like this or never thought the whole thing would feel like the build up an epic sword fighting tournament, which they are now subverting by accident.

Of course this feeling could be wrong and it really is a fully planned attempt at suprising the reader, what ever they did it well or not.
    Last edited by Grunty; 11-17-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    This might sound weird, but i have the slight feeling part of the writing team genuinely thought this is a normal way to progress a story like this or never thought the whole thing would feel like the build up an epic sword fighting tournament, which they are now subverting by accident.
    Nah, last week's weird turn/mood whiplash is one of those "You couldn't make this up" kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Of course this feeling could be wrong and it really is a fully planned attempt at suprising the reader, what ever they did it well or not.
    Sounds more like it. An odd/misguided take on the "Show, Don't Tell" technique, maybe? Spend/waste 15+ issues on fetching side-quests and a tournament that might very well mean nothing, then inform the readership of everything that happened off-panel with one glorious flashback issue and a truckload of data pages.

Edit: Oh, alright, maaayyybe two flashback issues.

I sincerely believe in Hickman’s capability to build up what he’s working forwards. But I hope anyone saying that gives all other writers the same breathing space to do the same. There’s a tendency for some of us to criticize stories we don’t like for Being a slow but , but when you are really invested in the material itd nice to have the anticipation.

That being said, I stopped reading a while ago so I’m with you OP.i don’t really have an issue with the books I just don’t find them entertaining.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Fantastic Member

My thing is why introduce all these silly elements to the story. Some concepts work like finding out about Apocalypse and his motivations. Even an ancient mutant society being shunted off to another universe or dimension. But all the Starlight Citadel and useless contest stuff is plain out stupid. Why not just use something that exist already? Why not use this as an opportunity to flesh out Limbo more? The Amenthi mutants coming across Limbo would have been perfect. Or use the ghost box idea and have them come from a parallel type universe. This story could incorporate Moira too. Plus 22 issues is just too many, it stopped everything especially in a time where momentum was struggling as is because of the virus and them shutting down writing and delivery. It will probably happen again and now this story is a huge interruption

The Otherworld, Starlight Citadel, Roma, Merlyn, Fury & Mad Jim Jaspers are all concepts that are about 40 years old

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    My thing is why introduce all these silly elements to the story. Some concepts work like finding out about Apocalypse and his motivations. Even an ancient mutant society being shunted off to another universe or dimension. But all the Starlight Citadel and useless contest stuff is plain out stupid. Why not just use something that exist already? Why not use this as an opportunity to flesh out Limbo more? The Amenthi mutants coming across Limbo would have been perfect. Or use the ghost box idea and have them come from a parallel type universe. This story could incorporate Moira too. Plus 22 issues is just too many, it stopped everything especially in a time where momentum was struggling as is because of the virus and them shutting down writing and delivery. It will probably happen again and now this story is a huge interruption
    22 issue sis because it is the 22 cards of tarot Major arcana. Each issue is theme by a the tarot card
    Last edited by baxer; 11-19-2020 at 09:15 AM.

To an extent, I agree but that's because HoX and PoX are two of my favorite comic books in the past 10 years. Compared to them, the run has been a lot more lowkey but I am expecting things to slowly start to blow up again in the future

It would be kinda funny and sad if HOX POX ends up the best Hi-XMan comic of his multi-year X run.

If there's anyone who can build up stories over many plot threads and years, it's Hickman. I have faith long term that this series will be great. I'm a little disappointed in some of the one-off issues here and there but overall I'm happy with the main X-Men series.

It's gonna be fun when the Moira stuff, possible Atlantis/Wakanda relationships and Orchids plotlines get payed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It would be kinda funny and sad if HOX POX ends up the best Hi-XMan comic of his multi-year X run.
    No it wouldnt. That would be quite sad

Awww. What about ironic/campy appreciation? I mean, last week was Hobbs and Shaw/Kingsman 2 Tier of hilarious/godawful. The books thought so hard they were subverting/inverting/whatever tropes, but (somehow?!) didn't realize they were doing it in the most obnoxious/cringey/juvenile way possible.

"What's that, you thought you were getting a Mortal Kombat-esque second act followed by a Lord of the Rings-esque finale? Ah! Subversion of expectations ACTIVATE! More standing around and talking! Wolverine! Dancing! Wolverine! Arm wrestling! Wolverine! People exploding but not really! More Wolverine! Weddings! Did I mention Wolverine? Dragon Ex Machinas! Yay!"
    Too much Wolverine in this event.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Too much Wolverine in this event.
    Pre-Finale Prediction:

Once all is said and done, Kid Cable will have accomplished more than all the other Krakoan champions put together minus Betsy (because of course) by calling home and crying to mommy and daddy.

Pre-Finale Prediction:

Once all is said and done, Kid Cable will have accomplished more than all the other Krakoan champions put together minus Betsy (because of course) by calling home and crying to mommy and daddy.
    He did that in his issue this week.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    He did that in his issue this week.
    Of course he did. Thus the prediction that by doing so he effectively will have done more to propel the plot forward than all the other Krakoan champions put together minus Betsy.

I’m to blame. I hate all of it and I continue to buy every issue.