Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I just think that with the vast array of characters offered in XoS, we could do better than to have Wolverine crowding everyone else out.
    My flag is bacon.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I think it will pick up. Swords, to me, has been abit of a mistake and gone on too long (or was wrong in wrapping every title into it)

I trust Hickman. HoX/PoX was great. Swords, a 22 part event, spanned from one or two scenes from HoX/PoX. There is so much we have yet to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    How can it stick the landing? How? I don’t even know what their fighting about anymore! This event started as a story about the X-men being dragged into a conflict by apocalypse over his family. Now the story is that everything, including Apocalypse parts of the plan was really about saturnine trying to get Betsy fired again!
    An event having multiple plot threads doesn't mean one negates the other
    Last edited by nandes; 11-15-2020 at 04:14 AM.

Fantastic Member

If there going to have 30 X-men books there should be no overlap in cast. It would be a small step in trying to make it look like with title is unique instead of another tie in. Magneto one book only Xavier one book only cyclops one book only. They could try to use the 100000000 X-men characters at least
    At most you do 5 maybe 6 books. No overlapping cast. Hell I'd rather have less books that come out more often like say biweekly and push the story than having 10 or 30 as you say plus all the solos and waiting a month to get the next page-filler issue in a story and pray some deadly super virus doesnt halt production and delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    I just think that with the vast array of characters offered in XoS, we could do better than to have Wolverine crowding everyone else out.
    IMO Wolverine and Storm have been the only bright spots in XoS so far. As a matter of fact if the rest of the story focused solely on them I wouldn't even mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    IMO Wolverine and Storm have been the only bright spots in XoS so far. As a matter of fact if the rest of the story focused solely on them I wouldn't even mind.
    Yeah. For that reason I have really enjoyed it. But can understand why fans of other characters are feeling shafted.

I have bought every x book since Hickman started. I’ve spent a crap load of money on it. I have every right to say it blows. Other than some great Kurt and Kitty stuff by Duggan... it’s been meh. Duggan is the bright spot but even he hasn’t been great in a lot of Marauders run but some has been good. Turning Kitty into a train wreck pirate wasn’t great.
    Last edited by Slicknickshady; 11-15-2020 at 11:16 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think it will pick up. Swords, to me, has been abit of a mistake and gone on too long (or was wrong in wrapping every title into it)

I trust Hickman. HoX/PoX was great. Swords, a 22 part event, spanned from one or two scenes from HoX/PoX. There is so much we have yet to see.
    I'm not sure of there is anything to pick it up anymore, Hickman gonna probably tell arrako story for the 4th time

Hox was good but POX was just a incomplete story.

How can it stick the landing? How? I don’t even know what their fighting about anymore! This event started as a story about the X-men being dragged into a conflict by apocalypse over his family. Now the story is that everything, including Apocalypse parts of the plan was really about saturnine trying to get Betsy fired again! It seems the end game with the post x of swords Excalibur covers is that Betsy becomes the new head of the citadel and that this entire event was just to set up a new status quo for exactly 1 book out of the infinite sprawl of X-men comics. Every other book is going right back to the story they were doing before the event without skipping a beat. Kate is back to killing Shaw xforce is back to fighting Russians and wolverine is fighting vampires. This event is such filler it’s giving me a headache
    The problem if there is any stick to land in a event they doesn't even know what is about with such random nonsense
    Last edited by baxer; 11-15-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I kinda wish we just had two books in the line both written by Hickman (or one by Hickman and the other with him and a co-writer). This may be a problem with comics IPs in general, but I think any IP having more than two mainline books becomes unwieldy. Yeah if we narrowed it down to two other characters would fade into the background even further, but at least it would be focused and we wouldn't have to pick up books we don't want to just on the off chance something kinda important happens.

While I think I will like Hickman's era more overall, I think the advantage of Morrison was that their run didn't cross over with anybody. You can just read it on its own. Claremont's run was also at its best when it was one book or Uncanny + New Mutants at most.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I kinda wish we just had two books in the line both written by Hickman (or one by Hickman and the other with him and a co-writer). This may be a problem with comics IPs in general, but I think any IP having more than two mainline books becomes unwieldy. Yeah if we narrowed it down to two other characters would fade into the background even further, but at least it would be focused and we wouldn't have to pick up books we don't want to just on the off chance something kinda important happens.

While I think I will like Hickman's era more overall, I think the advantage of Morrison was that their run didn't cross over with anybody. You can just read it on its own. Claremont's run was also at its best when it was one book or Uncanny + New Mutants at most.
    I think it may just be a really bad idea to force a dozen writers to constantly micromanage every aspect of ALL their comics because even before x of swords started all this books were just infinite tie ins to each other and the hox/pox jumping off point. That story never stopped and all the books ALL THE BOOKS are so strangled by it that they might as well just have all the books be called X-men and just have a rotating writing staff. This group writing system always leads to bad stories. This is why blockbuster movies are bad. You can not tell a coherent story with an army of writers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I disagree, if anything Wolverine solos with him learning how to be calculated and calm while tracking pale girl,have been discarded completely.Logan is back to being the tactless brawler who stabs first and asks questions later. Storm in XoS has been a disaster!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If we had only two x-books being written chances are greater that 90 % of the posters here would be bitching and complaining every hour of everyday that their favourite character is never in a story. As it is now even with nine books available each with its own cast they're still complaining that their ultimate fave is not getting enough appearances and when they do show up they're written badly.

Some people will never be/don't want to be satisfied no matter what.

Personally, I like that we have many options from which to choose. (I'm reading only what I like/interests me...that's six out of the nine)
    Do I like everything about everything I'm reading? Absolutely not...looking at you Excalibur. But the point is...we can choose to read/not read as many or as little books as we want/don't want.

The problem is not that HiX-Man and Co. are writing too many books or that all the writers are "bad"...
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Attachment 102324

Reality doesn't match some of the opinions in the thread. Does the event have pacing issues? Yes. Was it a mistake to try to make every issue important? Yes. Would this be better as four main books and a bunch of spinoffs you aren't forced to read if you are interested? yes. It is a trainwreck. nope.

Every story has a beginning, middle, and end. It could stick the landing how many movies are saved by their climactic ending. Imagine judging endgame or infinity wars without its ending. It comes with the territory of comics but reading a story week to week, is a different experience than reading it all the way through with no interruptions. As a weekly read this horrible but as a complete read it should be fine if the ending is good. Waiting isn't helping this event they are too many elements that people don't care about which hurts the main storyline which imo has been good.
    Did you really use sales and comparisons to movies as a counter argument?

We analyze the event by each individual issue just like did with HoX and PoX last year and X-Men Disassembled. If people think the build-up to the finale isn't meeting their expectations, saying that finale might be spectacular doesn't mean the quality of the other issues were spectacular as well.
    "Cable was right!"

I feel that reading Creation, Stasis, and Destruction only would make this event seem far better.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I have bought every x book since Hickman started. I’ve spent a crap load of money on it. I have every right to say it blows. Other than some great Kurt and Kitty stuff by Duggan... it’s been meh. Duggan is the bright spot but even he hasn’t been great in a lot of Marauders run but some has been good. Turning Kitty into a train wreck pirate wasn’t great.
    That's fair, but I don't think one has to buy every or even a majority of the books to criticize this event - this early (comparatively and taking CoVid into account) into this era, I was turned off by a 22-part event and nothing I've seen of it has convinced me that I made a mistake by opting out.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.