Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think that's ever been the case most of the time. Even when it did, it has some pretty epic missteps (like Kitty dropping those N-bombs).
    And it is not like the current run is not having that too. The whole thing is the logical conclusion of having decades of stories of mutants getting hunted and killed. It is outright said in the start.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    And it is not like the current run is not having that too. The whole thing is the logical conclusion of having decades of stories of mutants getting hunted and killed. It is outright said in the start.
    Is it a reason to feel free to do anything? If there was a change of heart, the interesting thing would have been to show this change of heart.

But none of this has happened. What happened between Rosenberg’ run and HoX? We don’t know. How did Xavier convince the X-men to come to Krakoa? After fighting during years for a dream, they have given up to live on a remote paradisiac island. How did it come to this? We don’t know. Why Jean Grey has Marvel Girl’s costume, now? We don’t know. This whys are interfering with the reading and put a distance.

This story would have worked better without the X-men. They have been used like “bankable actors”.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Is it a reason to feel free to do anything? If there was a change of heart, the interesting thing would have been to show this change of heart.

But none of this has happened. What happened between Rosenberg’ run and HoX? We don’t know. How Xavier convinced the X-men to come to Krakoa? After fighting during years for a dream, they have given up to live on a remote paradisiac island. How did it come to this? We don’t know. Why Jean Grey has Marvel Girl’s costume, now? We don’t know. This whys are interfering with the reading and put a distance.

This story would have worked better without the X-men. They have been used like “bankable actors”.
    As I said Xavier said it in the first HoX issue I think? Do we really need a scene showing the way to Krakoa?
    We had God love, Man kills 35 years ago, the MRA, the US Goverment building Sentinels with the outright purpose to "stop" mutants and countless other things.
    So Xavier saying "Ok, peaceful coexistence does not work currently so we try this approach". And how did they give up?
    They build Krakoa and start to build a country to get into a position of strength. That is the only thing changed.
    Is it working perfectly? No, but it would be pretty boring for me at last if it were so.
    Hickman is too good a writer for that. I mean I would love to get a series just with the political stuff to read about.
    And if Hickman is unaviable for that on one hand I would love someone like Rucka for that.
    On the other Hand that would mean the great Lazarus series would likley not continue if that would happen.

Regarding the two points about using the Marvel Girl costume. It is not like she is wearing it at all times. I would love if she and others used all older costumes. For Jean the costumes she wore during the Teen Jean time would be great. Some of her best costumes. In my opinon better than the 90s costume she wears at other times.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 11-09-2020 at 02:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    As I said Xavier said it in the first HoX issue I think? Do we really need a scene showing the way to Krakoa?
    We had God love, Man kills 35 years ago, the MRA, the US Goverment building Sentinels with the outright purpose to "stop" mutants and countless other things.
    So Xavier saying "Ok, peaceful coexistence does not work currently so we try this approach". And how did they give up?
    They build Krakoa and start to build a country to get into a position of strength. That is the only thing changed.
    Is it working perfectly? No, but it would be pretty boring for me at last if it were so.
    Hickman is too good a writer for that. I mean I would love to get a series just with the political stuff to read about.
    And if Hickman is unaviable for that on one hand I would love someone like Rucka for that.
    On the other Hand that would mean the great Lazarus series would likley not continue if that would happen.
    Yes. Saying something and showing it aren't not necessarily the same thing - what if it's a lie? And this wouldn't be a single scene, HoX has spent numerous pages depicting crucial moments about how krakoa came to be, so let's see it all. IIRC Hickman said in an interview it'll be revealed in the epilogue - they probably are leaving themselves options rather than concrete ideas and you never know how editorial mandates will change things in the future.

The X-men went through all that and never did something like this, how did they get quickly on board after all the controversy in their community with Utopia? Letting Magneto and Cyclops lead again after that is just - what?

Hickman is a good writer, and he explains things, it's what he does.

It's not about how it's working "perfectly" it's answering things they set up because people are curious how the characters are acting and want to know more. How we got to a place where several X-men were ok with Apocalypse killing minors in pseudo sacrificial rituals became acceptable. Lots of questions, especially tied to Moira X involvement.

This subject is about how the politics, however.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    The X-men went through all that and never did something like this, how did they get quickly on board after all the controversy in their community with Utopia? Letting Magneto and Cyclops lead again after that is just - what?
    It's pretty simple- there were never in character, in universe reasons for big controversy about Utopia in the first place. Which is why Schism arose from some bullshit about kids fighting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It's pretty simple- there were never in character, in universe reasons for big controversy about Utopia in the first place. Which is why Schism arose from some bullshit about kids fighting.
    Krakoa is undercooked and recycled nonsense I’m tired of reading about mutants on islands it’s a terrible metaphor. There are dozens of countries ran by black, Hispanic and Asian people all over the world and in reality they ALL HAVE PROBLEMS! Krakoa being a perfect utopia is boring

Just before Krakoa you had Jean Grey founding a mutant nation at the UN in X-Men Red. But now tell me that Krakoa is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Just before Krakoa you had Jean Grey founding a mutant nation at the UN in X-Men Red. But now tell me that Krakoa is illogical.
    I haven’t read X-men Red but I’m sure the founding was shown.

Krakoa hasn’t been shown, it just is. It isn’t a story that is bad in itself but it lacks finesse: how the X-men, after their long history, fit in this new narrative. It’s almost like they were born with Hickman. This latter has done the strict minimum in that aspect.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Jean said she was gonna found a mutant nation but then her sons showed up and ruined everything. :P

Technically part of Krakoa's foundation was shown. With Moira meeting Charles and Magneto, Charles introducing Krakoa to Doug and Emma getting approached for council duty but yeah there's still some stuff missing.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 11-09-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Krakoa is undercooked and recycled nonsense I’m tired of reading about mutants on islands it’s a terrible metaphor. There are dozens of countries ran by black, Hispanic and Asian people all over the world and in reality they ALL HAVE PROBLEMS! Krakoa being a perfect utopia is boring
    X-Force in particular has shown this is not some perfect utopia.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    X-Force in particular has shown this is not some perfect utopia.
    X-Force is the mutant Keystone Cops.

If they had dedicated themselves in HOX to explain why each X-Men decides to go to Krakoa, it would have the same criticism that X of Swords is having right now for the issues of gathering the swords. You can't please everyone.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is that really Claremont's fault? He can only write characters he was actually interested in and can't be blamed if later writers couldn't come up with anything interesting for them other than becoming evil or going mad*. Making him write characters he had no affinity for would not have produced good reults.

* Also, the X-franchise is almost as bad as Batman when it comes to handling mental illness.
    I don't think it would have, but I think if we're letting Claremont off the hook for not writing characters he had no interest in too much (because it wouldn't have been good), I think people should let Hickman do the same.

He really did spend most of his time writing his favorites and own creations, the big distinction being that he had 17 years to do it and build off of it.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 11-09-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Yeah considering they keep running into issues it’s definitely not a Utopia. I do wish they had made the connection to Jean’s recent UN efforts in Red.

I don't understand how someone can say at the same time that Krakoa's society is boring because it is utopian and at the same time Krakoa is evil because its society is corrupt.

Choose one.