Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Harassment is different than criticism, I believe. People were calling for Hickman's head, saying he should be immediately fired and never deserved his spot as X-Men writer because he didn't post what they wanted on Twitter during the protests related to George Floyd's death. Not to mention the name calling, which continued until recently among Brazilian fans of Jean Grey, mostly. I guess he was getting the same thing on his DMs if it was ever open. It was never about his writing of the books, it was people going over the edge on harassment.
    Seriously? This actually happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seriously? This actually happened?
    Yes, Leah Williams and Vita Ayala were very upset with X-Fandom the next day. Yeah, Hickman got to Twitter too late, opened up his DMs and people said "Can you link to BLM?" and he tweet "I have been asked to put the link, which I do with pleasure" putting the link.

People got angry because someone had to tell him what was the link that all the famous people were putting.

It was all because
    A) People looked for any excuse to get angry
    B) Hickman barely used twitter and didn't know what all the famous people were doing.

It's difficult when you want to cancel someone, but they're not forthcoming with sufficient opinions to let you decide whether it's ok to cancel them or not..

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I don't understand how someone can say at the same time that Krakoa's society is boring because it is utopian and at the same time Krakoa is evil because its society is corrupt.

Choose one.
    They won't, they just want to complain.

Yes, Leah Williams and Vita Ayala were very upset with X-Fandom the next day. Yeah, Hickman got to Twitter too late, opened up his DMs and people said "Can you link to BLM?" and he tweet "I have been asked to put the link, which I do with pleasure" putting the link.

People got angry because someone had to tell him what was the link that all the famous people were putting.

It was all because
    A) People looked for any excuse to get angry
    B) Hickman barely used twitter and didn't know what all the famous people were doing.
    People were that mad over a link? Make it make sense

Anyway, I kind of think Hickman's run is a bit of a mixed bag. Some nice character interactions and world building but questionable execution in a lot of places.

I don't understand how someone can say at the same time that Krakoa's society is boring because it is utopian and at the same time Krakoa is evil because its society is corrupt.

Choose one.
    I don’t think it’s the same people that say both. Personally, I never said that Krakoa’s society was utopian.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Fantastic Member

Hickman's work is fine.

It's the other writers (pretty much all of them..) for Dawn of X that are highly questionable. Fallen Angels got axed for its weirdass kwannon nonsense that was basically "The book of retconning away Elizabeth's identity" as Kwannon takes all of her aesthetics as if they were always her own, Excalibur might as well have all the dialogue removed and just be a picture book because To's art is gorgeous (albeit a bit same-y) but the actual plot is like trying to play connect the dots across the galaxy, Marauder's is cringeworthy pandering.. New Mutants is a bit too back and forth with its plot arcs, X-force never lived up to the initial hype it had, and the main X-men book is just a serious of miscellaneous stories.

Hickman likes them so sadly I don't see many of them getting changed out because of him, but to be honest, none of them are all that good. Certainly not compelling (the reason Kitty kept dying was because she didn't phase out of the egg? .. really?).

Hickman's only really to blame for having such a great set-up of DoX/PoX that was so high quality that the rest just seems even more lackluster by comparison, because you can tell that Hickman's has a plan in his stories, and the others.. don't.

Just before Krakoa you had Jean Grey founding a mutant nation at the UN in X-Men Red. But now tell me that Krakoa is illogical.
    She was founding a mutant nation "without borders". Krakoa treats borders very seriously. The problem isn't the existence of a mutant nation, the disagreement comes with how it's run.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 11-09-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

HiX-Man writes the "main" X-Men book.
    And while he's not dictating what the other writers write word for word in their individual books he's pretty much coordinating the stories/books being written so that it all fits within a specific and narrative framework, overall.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-09-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    People were that mad over a link? Make it make sense
    They got angry because Hickman said "Some people asked me to put the link", when he should have put it without being reminded.

Hickman was asked to put the link because he wasn't following anyone on Twitter and hadn't seen anyone tweet about it.

What Hickman was guilty of is putting the link late and admitting that he put it because other people asked him to put it, both were because
    1) Hickman hardly used twitter
    2) Hickman wasn't following anyone on twitter.

I mean, yes: People who were looking for any excuse to get angry with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    She was founding a mutant nation "without borders". Krakoa treats borders very seriously. The problem isn't the existence of a mutant nation, the disagreement comes with how it's run.
    And right after that they founded X-Lantis with the help of Namor to take refuge from the world.
    Last edited by Glio; 11-09-2020 at 12:10 PM.

They got angry because Hickman said "Some people asked me to put the link", when he should have put it without being reminded.

Hickman was asked to put the link because he wasn't following anyone on Twitter and hadn't seen anyone tweet about it.

What Hickman was guilty of is putting the link late and admitting that he put it because other people asked him to put it, both were because
    1) Hickman hardly used twitter
    2) Hickman wasn't following anyone on twitter.

I mean, yes: People who were looking for any excuse to get angry with him.

And right after that they founded X-Lantis with the help of Namor to take refuge from the world.
    That was more of a base than a country. Not that different from Utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    That was more of a base than a country. Not that different from Utopia.
    There was a flashforward it could be seen is that the idea is that in the future it will be developed in an entire city.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I like what Hickman's doing conceptually, my problem is just what it was with his Avengers run: he always seems to be pointing forward to something that is about to happen but I don't think he cares that much about telling a compelling story in the here-and-now.
    Yes, this was my criticism from the beginning. Lots of users misunderstood me, I think. Hickman is clearly a genius in planning things and he has great ideas (HoX and PoX are an obvious proof, he literally rebooted the mutants from years of bland stories), the problem is his execution in long runs story-arcs. X-Men looks like something approaching something else, but this "else" never comes. Someone mentioned Kurt founding a new religion or the Brood having a new leader, but are we really invested in things like that? I can't recall a SINGLE issue except the one with Magneto destroying Cotati. It's just completely forgettable TO ME.

There was a flashforward it could be seen is that the idea is that in the future it will be developed in an entire city.
    1. Vague possible futures' aren't the same thing as right now.

2. Cities do not equal countries.