Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    And....that's OK, you want people to be anticipating especially when its mutants not named Wolverine, Cyclops, or Jean. Let readers know that there's a whole world of mutants that matter, and are great characters. Writers that lack awareness of this deserve scrutiny. If Hickman comes in with all his greatness does the same thing with the same few characters, that's not too impressive. Wanna be known as great, do great stuff. Take Artiee and elevate him. Then you get the dap's
    Jean matter to Hickman? I guess you mean Emma and Magneto... or even Doug

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Isn't that 15 year period considered kind of a low point by X-fans? What is the net positive to shackling yourself to it (as a creator) too closely?

And what is the draw for a new reader as well? I'm reading Immortal Hulk as well and it's a great comic, but I've never read Hulk before so its adherence to older continuity isn't a factor in my enjoyment. I also think Hulk being a singular character and not an enormous cast like the X-Men (with their much more convoluted, and often very stupid, continuity) helps.
    Lots of fans read and liked it too. So say it doesn't matter will make people question all the money and time they send on x-men comics.

Yeah Hulk is easier, because it is one chaarcter and him suportting cast
    Last edited by baxer; 11-10-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Lots of fans read and liked it too. So say it doesn't matter will make people question all the money and time they send on x-men comics.

Yeah Hulk is easier, because it is one chaarcter and him suportting cast
    If they enjoyed them, they can still re-read them. The physical copies still exist.

I think the mentality of "continuity trumps all, even good story telling" isn't good for superhero comics.

If you read comics just thinking about what they matter for continuity, I am sorry to tell you that you are going to live frustrated and that you better buy manga. Enjoy what's out there while it lasts because comics will be comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    If you read comics just thinking about what they matter for continuity, I am sorry to tell you that you are going to live frustrated and that you better buy manga. Enjoy what's out there while it lasts because comics will be comics.
    That is why people are stp buying the attractive of buying a 616 set comic instead of a non in continuity comic is that it will matter. It is a collectible

If they enjoyed them, they can still re-read them. The physical copies still exist.

I think the mentality of "continuity trumps all, even good story telling" isn't good for superhero comics.
    So it is alright if next writer ignores and erases Hickman's x-men run?

Extraordinary Member

It is going to happen. Big Two comics have been in that mode for a while now.

Invariably it will happen, yes. You have to enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    But in issue #178 of Amazing Spider-Man vol I...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    That won't stop people from complaining about how great it was and it is a mistake to erase it.

If it happens, it happens. As long as this run is completed the way it's intended and I can re-read it to my hearts content, I don't really care what happens afterward.

If the next "seismic shift" borrows from Hickman the way he does a bit with Morrison, or does its own thing and is good in its own right, it will be fine by me either way.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If it happens, it happens. As long as this run is completed the way it's intended and I can re-read it to my hearts content, I don't really care what happens afterward.

If the next "seismic shift" borrows from Hickman the way he does a bit with Morrison, or does its own thing and is good in its own right, it will be fine by me either way.
    Exactatiously. Same here.

I feel some readers get so bogged down in what a run/story "isn't" that they lose sight of what it "is" and before they know it it's done and a new writer comes in and they still don't get what they want and hope for. Thereby making all that self-inflicted pain and misery pointless and perpetuating a new era of self-inflicted pain, misery and dissatisfaction.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    What dictates harassment is the same as anywhere, it being online changes nothing. Words have distinct meanings, people have been hurt incredibly by cyber bullying, even on this site with Janelle Asselin - got so bad the whole forum was deleted.

https://www.salon.com/2014/05/16/let...site_comments/

People who harass others are of course going to make themselves look good that's why they shouldn't get a word in defining what they're doing - their interest is about protecting themselves from reprisals and silencing opposition. Constructive criticism is there, but not with people who harass others. They don't get to redefine what words mean to justify their attacks.
    My point here is that no matter how firmly people say they know what is and isn't harassment, fans love to argue their way out of it being harassment. Fans have a tendency to make excuses for themselves when convenient even when they claim to know what dictates harassment. "Oh but see this person was inviting that response, you can even say they harassed first with raising a question that makes what I like look bad so it's only fair they got put down for it."

There's plenty of talk about harassment being bad. Not a lot about how readily people look for reasons to pretend something isn't harassment because they want to say they're the good guy fighting for the honor of their favorite writer or company.

Harassment doesn't come only from someone mad at a creator for something they did. It also comes from fans who deeply adore a creator and don't want anyone to speak a single bad word about them. Fans harassing Anita Sarkeesian for her Feminist Frequency series being a safe non-comics example to cite of the latter. Right now, people are talking about the former and feeling very confident about its wrongness (as they should). But not so much the latter. I've seen harassment in the form of the latter more accepted within fandom than it should be.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Easy. Moira just has to die if I well understood.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously. Same here.

I feel some readers get so bogged down in what a run/story "isn't" that they lose sight of what it "is" and before they know it it's done and a new writer comes in and they still don't get what they want and hope for. Thereby making all that self-inflicted pain and misery pointless and perpetuating a new era of self-inflicted pain, misery and dissatisfaction.
    Indeed. A lot of my favorite DC comics are either no longer completely in continuity, or are continuity light and stand alone as complete stories anyway. Sometimes that has advantages over the monthly model where we know firmly at this point there is no grand overarching plan (because it has to go indefinitely) but things could be upended at any moment. I think a run completing what it sets out to do and being able to be read on its own merits is a major victory at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I also love how he has brought all "mutant philosophies" of different conflicting leaders together as one large compromise.
    Which has the weakness of all compromises: it extinguishes the specificities, particularities… Without common ennemies, such compromise would make no sense: it fuels conflits and brings together people that have little in common but being mutants.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Which has the weakness of all compromises: it extinguishes the specificities, particularities… Without common ennemies, such compromise would make no sense: it fuels conflits and brings together people that have little in common but being mutants.
    Except....

They still have common enemies...Xeno, eg
    They still have internal strife and conflict...tPoS vs Kate
    They still have their collective survival and existence in their new world in common.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!