Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    All of the stuff with the new worlds and old mutants smacks of everything Hickman did with Starbrands, the Gardner, and other aspects of his Avengers run. Its never going to be mentioned again after all of this. A massive retcon and worldbuilding that totally is complicated and totally unwieldy for later writers to deal with.

I don't want to get too heavy on XoS criticism since its still ongoing and could potentially could stick the landing, but so far its the worst Marvel event since Secret Empire for me (nothing could top that). Its just so contrived at every step, with vague stakes and motivations for everyone. A lot of people are loving this Apocalypse stuff, and I just don't care about him at all. Its a really tired trope of 'the survival of the fittest dude who massacred millions did it to 'prepare' us all for the REAL threat!'. It just makes him look pathetic.
    Sure genocide will make people stronger LOL It doesn't even makes sese since it is Xavier that build Krakoa. Now Apocalyse was bullied by wife, take pity of him! of ourse his illany now is a his wife fault, another tired trope
    I don't think the character never made sense, but being a really evil man was better. Some people are really evil and doesn't need a pity backstory

Pretty on point with Hickman OCs
    Last edited by baxer; 11-10-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    That won't stop people from complaining about how great it was and it is a mistake to erase it.
    Can confirm people will always complain.

All of the stuff with the new worlds and old mutants smacks of everything Hickman did with Starbrands, the Gardner, and other aspects of his Avengers run. Its never going to be mentioned again after all of this. A massive retcon and worldbuilding that totally is complicated and totally unwieldy for later writers to deal with.

I don't want to get too heavy on XoS criticism since its still ongoing and could potentially could stick the landing, but so far its the worst Marvel event since Secret Empire for me (nothing could top that). Its just so contrived at every step, with vague stakes and motivations for everyone. A lot of people are loving this Apocalypse stuff, and I just don't care about him at all. Its a really tired trope of 'the survival of the fittest dude who massacred millions did it to 'prepare' us all for the REAL threat!'. It just makes him look pathetic.
    Oof, did you read Civil War II?

I agree that this does have a similar feel to his Avengers run but I really enjoyed that so I'm cool with it. When we eventually go to Mars in the X-books I wonder if the garden created in Avengers will feature at all or maybe we even see Ex Nihlo.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I still think that the best comp for this event is Fear Itself.

Swordbearers of Arakko

Swordbearers of Krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Swordbearers of Arakko

Swordbearers of Krakoa
    Images aren't working for me.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I don't see it and X-men is a completely different monster from Hickman Avengers run, He is working with a ton of writers basically under him who are sharing the weight of the story. Saving nothing going forward is kinda of hilarious to me(writers tend to revisit their stuff or try to tie in old ideas from before into their new stuff). And the world building in current run isn't really that complex, if there is Arakko or Krakoa when this event(or run) is over. It is not hard to imagine going back at some point. It is not hard to imagine Otherworld new places being used. It is not hard to imagine new fictional places Terra Verde and other place being used.

They are doing the lords work with worldbuilding in Otherworld, Future magic based concepts at Marvel will benefit from what they are doing.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-11-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

I don't see it, It is completely different monster Hickman is working with a ton of writers basically under him who are sharing the weight of the story. Saying nothing is going to move forward is kinda of hilarious to me(writers tend to revisit their stuff or try to tie in old ideas from before to their new stuff). And world building isn't really that complex if there is Arakko or Krakoa when this event(or run) is over. It is not hard to imagine going back at some point. It is not hard to imagine Otherworld new places being used. It is not hard to imagine new fictional places Terra Verde and other place being used.

They are doing the lords work with Otherworld, Future magic based concepts at Marvel will benefit from what they are doing.
    I also don't think it would be difficult to restore the old status-quo. Just do some new schism between Magneto and Xavier. Magneto takes over Krakoa (which is anyhow Asteriod M 2.0) and Xavier starts a new school in Westchester New York bring some X-Men with him. lol

The other day I just realized that the concept Krakoa seems to be inspired by Ultra-orthodox Hasidic Jewish communities (descendants of Holocaust survivors living separated insular lives from large parts of society and trying to restore the life's lost in the Shoah with large families with many children).

Astonishing Member

Sure genocide will make people stronger LOL It doesn't even makes sese since it is Xavier that build Krakoa. Now Apocalyse was bullied by wife, take pity of him! of ourse his illany now is a his wife fault, another tired trope
    I don't think the character never made sense, but being a really evil man was better. Some people are really evil and doesn't need a pity backstory

Apocalypse remains an evil monster, he's just got more depth. Marvel's done this for years, like with Rise of Apocalypse. But it's important to acknowledge that just because a villain has a sympathetic and understandable past doesn't absolve them of them being villains. Hickman's just taking his ideology to its natural conclusion but don't expect Apocalypse to learn to much from this, his "progress" is still at the stage where he gleefully sacrifices his own brethren for his own agenda because at at the end of the day all he cares about is himself. He's like Thanos in that respect.

Good authors usually tells how a villain became a villain. It has rarely been “he is evil because”. The story is more compelling with a background… provided that it’s credible.

And it has never stopped “good people” to oppose them although sometimes they pitied people who weren’t lucky in their destiny. Xavier fought Magneto although he knew his sad story.

Edit: And I also think this Sword stuff is tacky.
    Last edited by Zelena; 11-11-2020 at 01:34 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Oof, did you read Civil War II?

I agree that this does have a similar feel to his Avengers run but I really enjoyed that so I'm cool with it. When we eventually go to Mars in the X-books I wonder if the garden created in Avengers will feature at all or maybe we even see Ex Nihlo.
    Civil War 2 came before Secret Empire, and I was saying its the worst since that one. CW2 was pretty bad. I found XoS to be lacking even BEFORE this week, where it just became a load of nonsense.

The Red Dragon

With X of Swords it’s officially the lowest point. Im ready for Krak Xmen to end.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    My point here is that no matter how firmly people say they know what is and isn't harassment, fans love to argue their way out of it being harassment. Fans have a tendency to make excuses for themselves when convenient even when they claim to know what dictates harassment. "Oh but see this person was inviting that response, you can even say they harassed first with raising a question that makes what I like look bad so it's only fair they got put down for it."

There's plenty of talk about harassment being bad. Not a lot about how readily people look for reasons to pretend something isn't harassment because they want to say they're the good guy fighting for the honor of their favorite writer or company.

Harassment doesn't come only from someone mad at a creator for something they did. It also comes from fans who deeply adore a creator and don't want anyone to speak a single bad word about them. Fans harassing Anita Sarkeesian for her Feminist Frequency series being a safe non-comics example to cite of the latter. Right now, people are talking about the former and feeling very confident about its wrongness (as they should). But not so much the latter. I've seen harassment in the form of the latter more accepted within fandom than it should be.
    True is that might be, it really is not relevant to what happened to Hickman.

At this point I'm waiting for Swords to be over, I liked it in the beginning but I'm kinda losing interest (haven't read the newest issues so that might change.)

I'm also patiently waiting for Jean to be put in another costume, the one she has on is an eyesore for me.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post

I'm also patiently waiting for Jean to be put in another costume, the one she has on is an eyesore for me.
    What are you talking about? It is maybe ugly as sh*it but at least it is very practical in the field!

WOLV2020001_int_26_27.jpg

Swords is losing me fast. This should not have been 22 issues.