Default How high would Tatsumaki (One Punch Man) rank in Marvel?

I've become really interested in OPM lately and Tatsumaki seems to be the second most powerful (shown) character in the series after Saitama (obviously).

But how would she rank in the world of Marvel (the comics, not the movies) psychics?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    I've become really interested in OPM lately and Tatsumaki seems to be the second most powerful (shown) character in the series after Saitama (obviously).

But how would she rank in the world of Marvel (the comics, not the movies) psychics?
    She'd easily be an Omega class Telekinetic with her most recent feats in the Murata manga. Not nearly as strong as a full on Phoenix Force User (or whatever the deal is with Teen Jean knocking down Galactus, or something like that), but with raw power feats that are probably at least on par with Magneto's best stuff. She seems to be mostly a hammer in terms of what she can do, but that's probably by choice since she seemed to be able to recognize more complex uses of psychic powers (like firing energy blasts from all around a target while being nowhere near them) and is noted as being a telekinetic genius in addition to a powerhouse. In the anime, she was able to pull out a meteor from space, so that version can presumably use her TK to at least reach into orbit if that was something that she had set up beforehand, and to possibly the meteor belt if she just reached out to a reliable source of meteors (and pull it down at a decent fraction of light speed, I guess).

Her telepathy is a bit more nebulous. I don't recall her ever using it to communicate with anyone, but she was able to track the faintest traces of telepathy from someone who is considered a ridiculously powerful psychic (but still a bug compared to Tatsumaki) by the standards of OPM, while the latter was actively trying to hide her location. OTOH, I don't recall any telepathic feats in the series as a whole that would be particularly impressive even by the standards of Marvel's B or C tier telepaths as part of why that above feat was considered impressive was that the second psychic in question was about 1.5 kilometers away, which was apparently near the limits of her (the psychic that was vastly weaker than Tatsumaki's) range with her powers, and that's not anywhere near the limit of Marvel 616 telepaths', even with Magneto's meddling with the Earth's magnetosphere specifically to restrict the range of telepaths on Earth.

God, imagine how she would behave if she became a Phoenix host.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-06-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

From what I've seen she'd do well until she starts running into the high end telepaths.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Given her ego and sociopathic tendancies, she might well wind up a villain in Marvel. If she were, she'd be an "Avengers-level" threat. She's quite capable of quickly laying waste to a continent, given her Manga redraw feats, and she's capable of resisting similar levels of force. All-father Thor would drop her of course, but she'd casually dominate nearly everyone else.

As stated above, her issue would be if she pissed off some mutants: there are a number of telepaths who could ruin her day.

If she somehow got engaged on the hero side, well, let's just say that she'd be the favorite hero of Damage, Inc. or whoever takes care of rebuilds now. She'd be an honorary member of Team America - World Police, for sure.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Given her ego and sociopathic tendancies, she might well wind up a villain in Marvel. If she were, she'd be an "Avengers-level" threat. She's quite capable of quickly laying waste to a continent, given her Manga redraw feats, and she's capable of resisting similar levels of force. All-father Thor would drop her of course, but she'd casually dominate nearly everyone else.

As stated above, her issue would be if she pissed off some mutants: there are a number of telepaths who could ruin her day.

If she somehow got engaged on the hero side, well, let's just say that she'd be the favorite hero of Damage, Inc. or whoever takes care of rebuilds now. She'd be an honorary member of Team America - World Police, for sure.
    She's extremely proud (usually with extremely good justification), very bratty, and doesn't trust anyone (especially with regards to her sister), but calling her "sociopathic" seems a bridge too far since she's super strict about protecting civilians and not harming hostages.

As she is, she might be an anti-hero since OPM Earth endorses killing monsters immediately, but give her a good mentor that is both strong and competent enough for her to respect (ala how she treats Bang and King, even though she knows that the former is far weaker than herself), and she'd probably become a standard, albeit obnoxious, heroine. Honestly, I could see her eventually getting along well with the X-Men, since they're all about preventing Mutants/Espers from getting taken advantage of and have some major heavy hitters in their roster. Maybe Wolverine could work his magic by making her another surrogate daughter, though with her age he'd probably better be surreptitious on that front.

...Actually, I'm wondering if Wolverine might not see her height, hair, and "mutant" powers and wonder if he she was the time traveling daughter of himself and Viper from when they were temporarily married. Maybe a granddaughter by way of one of the Summers/Grey psychic kids.

Eh, she's KIND of strict about protecting folks, but she has also caused damage worse than all but a couple of the monsters, simply because she didn't care about collatoral damage. That's what I meant.

But yes, she's also spent huge energy at personal cost to protect, so I withdraw "sociopathic."
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I can honestly see her treating Deadpool the way she treats Zombieman.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I can honestly see her treating Deadpool the way she treats Zombieman.
    Haha excellent pincusion that will come back.

Spectacular Member

Where would you rank the Psykos/Orochi fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
    spoilers:
    Unless it makes a big recovery from its current performance, then below a Tatsumaki who isn't holding back to keep shielding her fellow heroes and by a significant margin. Still pretty damn potent in terms of firepower, as well as having actual telepathic feats. Still, it should be noted that it might not be *quite* as powerful as it appears since its psychic powers seemed to be getting some degree of boosting from whatever it was she drank right before Tatsumaki started dragging Psykos up, though I doubt it's a major boost compared to what she got from fusing with Orochi and being empowered by "God."
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-08-2020 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
    If we are talking about the redraws, then somewhere around, maybe a tiny bit above, Magneto in terms of output. Still less than Tatsumaki, obviously.