Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

There for You. If it was up against FNSM #14's A Night Off. I'd have voted for that.

Thanks for running this, blackspider2099.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

This one is far from easy... Both story almost made me cry.

I’ll say Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #11. But only because of MJ and because Taylor didn’t kill Flash ! :P
    Last edited by Spider-Ham; 11-07-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

There For You.

A nice timeless issue.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

There For You wins 4-1

Stage 1, Round 3:

The Amazing Spider-Man #36 - "The Black Issue" by J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr
    7655209-5783689784-latest.jpg
    Synopsis: The heroes (and villains) of the Marvel Universe deal with the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.
    7010163-6697764327-64474.jpg
    Dark Reign: The List - Amazing Spider-Man #1 - Kill Spider-Man by Dan Slott and Adam Kubert
    s-l400.jpg
    Synopsis: With the entire world in his grasp, Norman Osborn has saved his best for last as he takes on the most powerful item on his evil To-Do List - killing Spider-Man.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Personally, I think Dark Reign The List: ASM was a really fun issue, and I also think that ASM v2 36 had its flaws in the way it approached the message it was trying to convey. Despite that, I don't think this is really close - as fun as the Dark Reign issue was, it doesn't hold a candle to how powerful ASM v2 36 was. So that's where my vote goes.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #36, The Black Issue.

Mighty Member

I've not read Dark Reign, but I think the Black Issue is a terrible comic. I know it's meant to be this powerful message after 9/11, but I think the further we get from it, the worse it becomes.
    Maybe it's because I'm not American and I read it years after the fact.
    I think the issue would have worked better as a one-shot rather than the main Spider-Man title. In the context of real world events, it does have a message to say. In the context of amazing Spider-Man, it comes across as silly.
    The image of Doctor Doom crying is also kind of awful, I get what they were going for, but he is the kind of character who probably would mastermind a 9/11 style attack.
    It would make more sense for that to be Magneto, this was around the time when Genosha happened and such, it would have hit him harder.

I'm not meaning to take away from the issue for anyone, of it speaks to you then I think that's great.
    But personally, I don't think it's a great comic. If it was taken by itself as separate from Marvel canon, I might be a bit softer on it. But due to its place in Marvel and Spider-man canon, it is lacking for me I'm afraid.

That being said, I do appreciate that Marvel tried to respond to the incident and having Spider-man be the main character is probably the best they could have done.
    The only other character who I think would be acceptable at that point is Captain America for obvious reasons.

BANNED

Black issue

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The Black Issue

TASM #36. Hands down.

Since it's pre-OMD, my vote automatically goes to...

The Amazing Spider-Man #36 - "The Black Issue" by J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita, Jr. (Dec., 2001)

The Black Issue wins 6-0

Stage 1, Round 4:

Peter Parker: Spider-Man #35 - Heroes Don't Cry by Paul Jenkins and Mark Buckingham
    035.jpg
    Synopsis: An individual's perception of Spider-Man is a very personal thing. To six-year-old Jamal, growing up in the mean streets, the web-slinger is very personal indeed. And what do you think would happen when he finally gets a chance to meet his idol?
    7010163-6697764327-64474.jpg
    Spider-Man #17 - No One Gets Outta Here Alive! by Ann Nocenti and Rick Leonardi
    82861.jpg
    Synopsis: While attempting to save the life of a little girl, the wall-crawler is killed. Now, in an ominous journey through the afterworld, Spider-Man comes face-to-face with the Mad Titan himself, Thanos, and his dark mistress, Death! Is this truly the end of everyone's favorite friendly neighborhood Spider-Man?

My vote goes to Heroes Don't Cry

BANNED

Heroes Don't Cry

Peter Parker #35.

Would Love to see Jenkins back on Spidey.