Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Just to clarify, I wouldn't mind an immortal Superman and I think such a Superman is very in keeping with the concept and even the character. The idea of a man forever working for a better future no matter what. Our eternal never ending idea that will outlive us. I wouldn't even mind it if he gained immortality from an outside source (depending on the source I rather like it actually).

My only thing is that I'm not down for such a selfish reason for it. It's cowardly of both characters regardless of the rational IMO. She's so scared of being without him that she wants to use her love to keep him immortal? Nah bro, not my thing. That's at least how it seems to come off given the way it's being explained to me.

Now I'm a VERY flexible person when it comes to a lot of this regarding comics and fiction. I like things that have thematic importance and symbolism and all that crap, so I'm open to a story like this where Wonder Woman ask this of our Superman and he says yes. The thematic side of it screams two scared gods that don't want to let go because of personal self centered reasons (as a couple you are essentially one when it comes to things like this IMO so it's selfish).

The story wouldn't have to paint then in the harsh light that I seem to be setting but that would be part of it. The irony would be the closer to "godhood" they get the more scared and human they really become. This would make for interesting reading and comes off as an Alan Moore story ala Twilight of the Superheroes, For the man, and Whatever happened.

So In the end I'm down for such an idea. But on personal preference and principal I'm not for it and I think it's not Superman regardless of the who's his gf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I rather do, actually. For all Superman is, he's never really displayed any drive to find ways to be more, on the powers and abilities end. He's not like say, Goku, who has an innate drive to push himself to his limits to get stronger. Superman has what he has and he'll use that to help any way he can. I've never seen him portrayed in any sort of drive to get more powerful. And knowing what his lifespan will probably be like regardless, I don't think he's a guy to necessarily want a guarantee of immortality. As it stands already he'll have multiple lifetimes worth with Diana already anyway if she were to be the one he ends up with.
    I wouldn't consider this a question of him aspiring to immortality. If she is immortal and he is not but she can make him so, what reason would he have to refuse? The reason why he could like to die instead of being immortal could be because he would be alone, but if she is with him he wouldn't be alone, and instead dying he would leave her alone...and I don't think that would be a superman's thing to do... Refusing immortality without any reason and leaving her alone while she has to live forever? I don't think he would do something like this. Just like if instead she couldn’t make him immortal, but she could make herself mortal, she would do so (if I am not wrong she has done this in the past to be with Trevor), if Superman could become immortal to be with her, I think he would accept to do so.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Hm, can't say I was looking at it from that angle before. I could buy it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I could agree with that but then on the other hand suppose he doesn't want to become immortal (for whatever reasons he has) then it would be wrong of her to use love to change his mind. That's my whole problem with this. The idea that if Superman didn't want it then she could make him out of love is messed it.

But since we haven't really set a specific Superman and we're assuming that this one is just indifferent or open to the idea (I feel like he'd have an opinion in one way or the other though) then sure I could buy that too. To be honest I could buy a lot of things (not all) if it's packaged and written well showing some insight into the character.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    I wouldn't consider this a question of him aspiring to immortality. If she is immortal and he is not but she can make him so, what reason would he have to refuse? The reason why he could like to die instead of being immortal could be because he would be alone, but if she is with him he wouldn't be alone, and instead dying he would leave her alone...and I don't think that would be a superman's thing to do... Refusing immortality without any reason and leaving her alone while she has to live forever? I don't think he would do something like this. Just like if instead she couldn’t make him immortal, but she could make herself mortal, she would do so (if I am not wrong she has done this in the past to be with Trevor), if Superman could become immortal to be with her, I think he would accept to do so.
    Again, I kind of liken it to that Batman Beyond episode when Bruce entered the Lazarus Pit, but then decided it was a terrible idea. I just figure Batman and Superman are the types who would think it goes against whatever natural order they believed in, so they wouldn't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I could agree with that but then on the other hand suppose he doesn't want to become immortal (for whatever reasons he has) then it would be wrong of her to use love to change his mind. That's my whole problem with this. The idea that if Superman didn't want it then she could make him out of love is messed it.

But since we haven't really set a specific Superman and we're assuming that this one is just indifferent or open to the idea (I feel like he'd have an opinion in one way or the other though) then sure I could buy that too. To be honest I could buy a lot of things (not all) if it's packaged and written well showing some insight into the character.
    I think it would be wrong of her to change his mind, too. In fact I'm saying that I could see him to decide to accept to become immortal not to leave her forever alone. I don't think she would ever impose something like this on him, she would rather be the one to renounce to her immortality not to ask him to do something like this if he doesn't want to for some reasons.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    I think it would be wrong of her to change his mind, too. In fact I'm saying that I could see him to decide to accept to become immortal not to leave her forever alone. I don't think she would ever impose something like this on him, she would rather be the one to renounce to her immortality not to ask him to do something like this if he doesn't want to for some reasons.
    WW would never be forever alone, she can met new people and fall in love again.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Again, I kind of liken it to that Batman Beyond episode when Bruce entered the Lazarus Pit, but then decided it was a terrible idea. I just figure Batman and Superman are the types who would think it goes against whatever natural order they believed in, so they wouldn't want to do it.
    I think it's quite different, though. In normal circumstances I would say too that Superman would not do it...but not to leave alone for eternity the woman he is in love with, and if there are not other consequences? Then, in that case, I think he would accept. (If there are other consequences, though, he would not). Of course I think he would accept it if it necessary, for example to save the world or whatever reason, even if the woman he is in love with isn't immortal and he will have to love forever alone after her death.

Wonder Woman X Superman Diana X Kal's Avatar

If Diana can make Kal immortal, I am positive he will accept her offer. He LOVES Diana, and if he had the opportunity to be with her eternally, I'm sure Kal would be beyond overjoyed!
    Wonder Woman <3

Sort of ironic that when meta characters give up their immortality to be with one person who is mortal because they'd rather die than live without that one person, it's seen as the great sacrifice but it's sort of selfish and a cop out on life in a way. Or Godlike Superman resurrecting someone who is dead so he does not have to be alone. I'd say that too is selfish on some level. I am not sure if she'd ask him to do such a thing but DC often had her giving up her immortality for one man. Did she not at one time go and live with Steve on Olympus or something? I'd say both characters would never force the other to do what he/she didn't want to do but in different stories they did "selfish" things for "love". Selfish being...wanting to be with that one love. I'd say no character should really have to give up what they are for one person. And they should probably just be written as they were envisaged. Clark happens to already be sort of immortal and so is Diana...so they probably don't necessarily have to deal with this dilemma. If they are simply long lived like say Kingdom Come where they do eventually age one has to die first and that's okay as long as they live a good life.

Incredible Member

Maybe but he starting from a good point, that for sure. So she would not have to do much work on that subject!

Of course, Wonder Woman could make Superman immortal. Or.. same effect… could come about by many different things…its super hero comics,

But, it would take Superman a long long way from the portrayal I prefer. The Superman I grew up had the powers of a god, but decided to do a daily job as a reporter. And his best friends were all normal humans. It came over that his values were all about being best man he could be, and helping others….he demonstrably had no wish whatever to be a god, and I think would have been more than a bit repelled about idea.

Things have changed since then. But I still hope to see my preferred version of Superman again someday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Superman...is immortal and godlike.
    Yeah seriously.