Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just figure that most of the heroes would find these sort of things "unnatural," kind of like how Batman got angry at himself in Batman Beyond for succumbing to temptation of the Lazarus Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Superman...is immortal and godlike.
    Actually, he's much more godly than any ''god''I've seen in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    Well, if she is, they are together, and she can make him immortal, I don't think he would refuse.
    I rather do, actually. For all Superman is, he's never really displayed any drive to find ways to be more, on the powers and abilities end. He's not like say, Goku, who has an innate drive to push himself to his limits to get stronger. Superman has what he has and he'll use that to help any way he can. I've never seen him portrayed in any sort of drive to get more powerful. And knowing what his lifespan will probably be like regardless, I don't think he's a guy to necessarily want a guarantee of immortality. As it stands already he'll have multiple lifetimes worth with Diana already anyway if she were to be the one he ends up with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I rather do, actually. For all Superman is, he's never really displayed any drive to find ways to be more, on the powers and abilities end. He's not like say, Goku, who has an innate drive to push himself to his limits to get stronger. Superman has what he has and he'll use that to help any way he can. I've never seen him portrayed in any sort of drive to get more powerful. And knowing what his lifespan will probably be like regardless, I don't think he's a guy to necessarily want a guarantee of immortality. As it stands already he'll have multiple lifetimes worth with Diana already anyway if she were to be the one he ends up with.
    I think you may be underestimating a woman's powers of persuasion. The question is if Wonder Woman could make him immortal, and in that sense it's her desire that's the x factor.

Because while Superman may not have a drive to live forever, he does have a drive to make her happy. If she's immortal and she expresses how much it would mean to her if he doesn't leave... I have a very hard time seeing him say "No" to that.

Especially if her eyes get watery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I think you may be underestimating a woman's powers of persuasion. The question is if Wonder Woman could make him immortal, and in that sense it's her desire that's the x factor.

Because while Superman may not have a drive to live forever, he does have a drive to make her happy. If she's immortal and she expresses how much it would mean to her if he doesn't leave... I have a very hard time seeing him say "No" to that.

I really like this answer..
    And now I finally arrived.

If Wonder Woman, or any woman, tried to do that manipulative BS, Superman would dump her in a heartbeat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If Wonder Woman, or any woman, tried to do that manipulative BS, Superman would dump her in a heartbeat.
    No he wouldn't, because he's soft as a marshmallow and her feelings would be genuine. If she is offering an eternity together and he is willfully choosing death because... reasons.

If that's not enough to get her to crack I don't know what is.

No he wouldn't, because he's soft as a marshmallow and her feelings would be genuine. If she is offering an eternity together and he is willfully choosing death because... reasons.

But that's being manipulative, and shedding croc tears to get a person to do bend to your will is BS and OOC for WW. And I don't think many people here want to read a story about a soft Superman. Isn't that one of the things Grant Morrison tried to get away from?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I doubt that WW just wanting Superman to be immortal would do the trick. Superman, as we've seen more often than not, is a man of necessity above all. He will only get more powerful and more capable if he needs to. We saw this when Helspont beat him in the new 52.

The only way I can ever see him becoming immortal (meaning he knows full well he will become immortal) is if the world is at stake or something greater than his want is on the line. World ending stuff. Other than that he's both the most ordinary and yet extraordinary of us all.

When Superman says no Wonder Woman will respect that.

Agreed. This is some Maxima nonsense right here, man.

But that's being manipulative, and shedding croc tears to get a person to do bend to your will is BS and OOC for WW. And I don't think many people here want to read a story about a soft Superman. Isn't that one of the things Grant Morrison tried to get away from?
    Preach on mah brotha preach on!! To quote a great man

"This is not the planet of the cutesie-pie Supermen or the almost Supermen!"

-President Calvin "Superman" Ellis

Superman doesn't crack. He's a man of steel will, drive, and conviction and by the nature of his character he is the master of his own fate. Nice and good natured? Yes. Soft? Not my Superman.

And if she did pull this off she would have effectively trapped Superman in something he's not doing because he wants it but only cuz she does. Awful GF and not the WW I'd like to see in the majority of her incarnations.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-08-2014 at 04:33 PM.

BANNED

But that's being manipulative, and shedding croc tears to get a person to do bend to your will is BS and OOC for WW.
    Oh, quite the opposite, if anything I'd say her warrior/amazon pride would try to keep her from shedding tears only for her to do so anyway. Her not being in the habit of this behavior is what would make it so powerful. It hurts that much.

Her Christmas gift to him was "Time" because she knew how important that was to him, Superman of all people should be able to understand why it would mean so much to her. Just live, just stay, that's all she's asking for, is that so much? Why?

I'm not even in love with the guy and I can't wrap my mind around it, I could only imagine what she'd be going through. Her side of the argument speaks for itself while his boils down to refusing an offer just because he can.

And I don't think many people here want to read a story about a soft Superman. Isn't that one of the things Grant Morrison tried to get away from?
    I don't like how over the top his compassion is portrayed, but it's not going anywhere. He told Faora he wouldn't hurt her even while she was trying to kill him. Why? Because he hates hurting people. Faora was his enemy, Wonder Woman is his lover.

Now he's able to harden his heart? It's not like he has a death wish, it makes no sense.
    Last edited by Lax; 05-08-2014 at 05:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I doubt that WW just wanting Superman to be immortal would do the trick. Superman, as we've seen more often than not, is a man of necessity above all. He will only get more powerful and more capable if he needs to. We saw this when Helspont beat him in the new 52.
    I know he doesn't care about getting more powerful, but that wouldn't be why she'd want him to do it.

The only way I can ever see him becoming immortal (meaning he knows full well he will become immortal) is if the world is at stake or something greater than his want is on the line. World ending stuff. Other than that he's both the most ordinary and yet extraordinary of us all.

When Superman says no Wonder Woman will respect that.
    Wonder Woman is having difficulty understanding his need for secrecy as Clark Kent and that's a choice that actually makes sense. This does not.

Superman doesn't crack. He's a man of steel will, drive, and conviction and by the nature of his character he is the master of his own fate. Nice and good natured? Yes. Soft? Not my Superman.
    In some ways, yes, in others not so much. In this he'd be as soft as a friggin marshmallow. Conviction only works when you feel strongly about something, Superman wants to make Wonder Woman happy and he doesn't particularly want to die. That's what makes this so crazy.

You're saying he'll be convicted and have all this drive over something he'll have no reason to be convicted about. She will. She's asking him to continue to do the same thing he's doing right now. Live. Why? Because she loves him.

This isn't risking his life to save others or anything like that, this is refusing an offer that would mean the world to someone you love just because... you can.

And if she did pull this off she would have effectively trapped Superman in something he's not doing because he wants it but only cuz she does. Awful GF and not the WW I'd like to see in the majority of her incarnations.

She'd pull it off because Superman living means more to her than apathy toward his own death means to him.

I don't like how over the top his compassion is portrayed, but it's not going anywhere. He told Faora he wouldn't hurt her even while she was trying to kill him. Why? Because he hates hurting people. Faora was his enemy, Wonder Woman is his lover.

Now he's able to harden his heart? It's not like he has a death wish, it makes no sense.
    His compassion for Faora was because she was one of the last members of his RACE. His lost history, his fallen Camelot etc etc. He had a momentary laps in his judgement because of the idea of harming his already endangered race. Also Soule's Superman is NOT the norm for new 52 Supermen. He comes off as far more flimsy in some ways. It's not to say that Grant's or Pak's Superman wouldn't feel bad over the idea of harming his race, but he'd suck it up quicker than what we saw IMO. In that first fight he'd have done more to put them both down, again IMO.

So if Soule is your source for Superman's character in this situation I don't think it's as accurate as it could be.

436 posts and counting... TheFearlessDefender89's Avatar

I like your answer...
    Pull List: Harley Quinn, Superman Unchained, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel, The Fearless Defenders (R.I.P.)
    *~ValkyrieXAnnabelle~*

I don't believe she'd ever do that though, is the thing.

I know he doesn't care about getting more powerful, but that wouldn't be why she'd want him to do it.
    I said getting more powerful and capable. That includes immortality. Regardless of why she ask, as time has shown, Superman would likely decline because it has no real selfless factor to it. At the heart of this it's for selfish reasons. You may say "well it's not selfish because he's doing it for her" I say it is because as a team of Superheroes their ultimate goal is to help defend those who can't do it for themselves. This means that unless the world is endanger then there is no need to overstep. In this particular idea the world is in no danger that I'm aware of. Then you may say "well if they live they could protect the world more" to that I say they could have children, other heroes, etc. But most of all that's not way you say she wanted it so again at it's heart it's flawed in what we know about Superman as a person.

Wonder Woman is having difficulty understanding his need for secrecy as Clark Kent and that's a choice that actually makes sense. This does not.
    Simply because he can do something doesn't me he will. This is the idea of restraint that is bedded in the Superman character and myth. Over the years it has been flexed and bent but never lost. Superman as a concept is a character that rises to the NEED. Wonder Woman WANTING him to live forever is just that a want. Now if the world is endanger and no one can save it and Superman is dead then you can bet you bottom that he'll have already found a way to save us or will come back to save us.

In some ways, yes, in others not so much. In this he'd be as soft as a friggin marshmallow. Conviction only works when you feel strongly about something, Superman wants to make Wonder Woman happy and he doesn't particularly want to die. That's what makes this so crazy.
    In Superman II didn't Lois want Superman to be with her and didn't he want to be with her? Yes. But both knew that she would have to share him and she just couldn't (as she put it). Superman wasn't about to waver and say "well since you want me to be with you and focus on you I will" he knew his real love was life and the world.

In the end I reject that Superman is so infatuated with any one person that he would give up the world for them no matter how romantic it sounds. Superman's one true love has always been and will always be life and it's continued survival. Superman loves us (life) in the end. That is his great love story.

You're saying he'll be convicted and have all this drive over something he'll have no reason to be convicted about. She will. She's asking him to continue to do the same thing he's doing right now. Live. Why? Because she loves him.
    If she loved him then she'd respect it if his first instinct and reaction were to say "nah Di, I'm good. If I live forever then I live forever if I don't then I don't". He using his love for her as a tool to get what she primarily wants is all kinds of wrong. Maybe it's his Midwestern roots, his ability to have an acute understanding of the universe and all it's imperfect perfections like death, maybe he just wants to see what's on the other side for keeps, maybe he thinks if he's here too long the universe will get dependent, etc ect

The bottom line is that whatever the reason Wonder Woman would have to respect it because Superman is his own man.

This isn't risking his life to save others or anything like that, this is refusing an offer that would mean the world to someone you love just because... you can
    This is also going against what you believe and want. It's a two way street. Why should she get the lion share of things?

Also such a question would require us setting a very specific version of Superman to go along with this Wonder Woman you've created.

She'd pull it off because Superman living means more to her than apathy toward his own death means to him.
    If that were her only reason for it then she wouldn't. That's just not good enough and such a thing has never been good enough for to get Superman to do something like this regardless of the woman in question. Wonder Woman is no exception. If this were life or death or fate of the world then he'd do it faster than you could blink and do it with a smile on his face.