Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    The current theory on T Rex is that they functioned like Komodo Dragons, in that they dominated the food chain at virtually all levels as they grew older and larger(which explains they there's such a huge gap between Rex and the other much smaller predators it shared a habitat with), changing prey and hunting strategies(including older Rexes eating younger Rexes), young Rexes were actually thought to be extremely fast runners, soooo the answer is they did eat smaller prey, when they were young and small. At a certain point though the expended amount of energy vs the energy gained as food simply isn't worth it anymore.

This theory works in the fact they used to have a separate species called "Nanotyrannus" which turned out to be a juvenile T-Rex, and it has been determined that, at a younger age, Tyrannosaurus was an agile predator that hunted its prey in packs, but as it grew larger and older, it used its size to go after larger, slower meals that could fill it up, where it had to conserve its energy instead.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, that's all wrong. We know from the famous nature documentary "Jurassic Park" that they mostly hunt human beings, occasionally taking down a larger dinosaur. But mostly people. And they are very fast. Plus we know from subsequent nature documentaries like Jurassic World that they will team up with other dinosaurs, just like superheroes do.
    Omg this has me laughing my ass off this morning.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Cats hunt mice that are twenty times smaller than their size.
    You don't look like you're joking, so I'm going to take you seriously.

Cats are much smaller than lion, tigers, etc. That's why they like to play with laser pointers whereas big cats just ignore them like Kai "the spy" just showed.

The real question is "How small is too small to hunt?" Based on a T.Rex's size, they seem like they'd prefer something like elephants than they would humans, but we don't know if humans would've been too small to be worth hunting.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There’s still debate among paleontologist whether a full grown T. Rex could run.
    It could walk fast, but run? The largest living land animal, the elephant, can only walk fast; that is to say, it can never have all four feet off the ground. I have yet to see CGI/model adult T. rex where both feet are periodically off the ground while it chased prey.

Fast is not always = running.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Cats hunt mice that are twenty times smaller than their size.
    But T-Rexes are different from cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Someone literally just posted the current theory on T-Rex’s feeding on smaller prey when they themselves were smaller, which would mean no T-Rex ever reached adulthood w.out ever feeding on smaller prey.
    So do you think T-Rex would totally never go after smaller prey in their adulthood & only does so when its younger & equal size of its prey?

The current theory on T Rex is that they functioned like Komodo Dragons, in that they dominated the food chain at virtually all levels as they grew older and larger(which explains they there's such a huge gap between Rex and the other much smaller predators it shared a habitat with), changing prey and hunting strategies(including older Rexes eating younger Rexes), young Rexes were actually thought to be extremely fast runners, soooo the answer is they did eat smaller prey, when they were young and small. At a certain point though the expended amount of energy vs the energy gained as food simply isn't worth it anymore.
    But then that might sound like the T-Rex wouldn't be feeding on smaller prey in their adulthood & they'd only do when they're younger.
    Last edited by Tyrannoraptor; 12-09-2023 at 01:33 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    T. rex was a big animal. The amount of calories needed to sustain such a large animal meant that going after small creatures would probably be a waste of time.
    Well yes and know. I learned this as a kid in science class and never forgot it--the larger the animal the less calories it needs to consume relative to its size. Smaller creatures lose so many calories just living that they have to constantly eat to survive. Large animals, like elephants, have to eat big amounts but it's not that much relative to their size and they can go for long periods of time without eating.

There might have been other inefficiencies that made the T. Rex poorly adapted to its environment. Was it cold-blooded or warm-blooded? Was it capable of storing fat or was it too lean?

Extraordinary Member

Full grown Rex likely preyed on animals similar to its size that wouldn't have been all that much faster than it. Some other recent studies also revealed some interesting discoveries, for example while it likely couldn't run it's walking gait would have been extremely energy efficient, also it was more agile than other large therapods like Allosauroids. Given that and it's incredible eye sight and smell it suggests it could have been an endurance hunter like modern wolves, just at a slower pace for all animals involved.
    Even more recent studies have shown that they can't outrun a jeep. Though you should remember that objects are closer in your rear-view mirrors than they appear, should you ever for example be chased by one. Just remember to get the "Goldblum" options package when you buy your new dino-racing jeep.

This is just one study, which counters other studies. I think the only way to know is clone them and put them in some sort of park-like setting. Preferably on an isolated island.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is just one study, which counters other studies. I think the only way to know is clone them and put them in some sort of park-like setting. Preferably on an isolated island.
    That would make a pretty good movie I think
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    That would make a pretty good movie I think
    Eh, it needs a Goldblum. But to be fair, many things can be made better by a Goldblum.

What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    What could possibly go wrong?
    You make them all male, so they can't breed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You make them all male, so they can't breed.
    Er uh uh Life Uh finds a way.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.