Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Wonder Woman: Bloodlines - finally watching - yikes -

It's been a long time since I've taken to a comics message board, but I have to vent:

I'm 20 minutes in to Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (which I'd heretofore avoided because I am severely not a fan of the Psylocke costume they used) -- and the movie is just *awful.* The dialogue is *so dumb,* the decisions the characters make are completely insensible -- this feels like the roughest of rough drafts of a script. Very clear the writer, Mairghread Scott, is not terribly interested in (or at all invested in) the characters she was assigned to work with. I suspect a quick search for a woman cartoon writer turned up very few candidates, and they went with her . . . .

I'd go in to how I feel the characters of the Kapatelis women were mishandled, but it's been since the 90s that they were treated with any kind of respect. No one after George Perez seems to have liked or cared for them very much (as a writer). Even Phil Jimenenz.

The general consensus among WW fans must be that this cartoon is terrible, right? This feels like what I *feared* the first animated WW movie (Keri Russell) would be like, but thank God it wasn't.

Anyway, just venting while we wait to get a call on the presidential election.

I'm going to try to finish the movie. Wish I hadn't paid $15 to own it through Amazon Prime.

It's really not that bad, a little bloated maybe. Personally I greatly prefer it to the made up nonsense we got with the earlier outing. Oh and as far as the election goes, the fat lady is warming up and going thru sound check as we speak.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's really not that bad, a little bloated maybe. Personally I greatly prefer it to the made up nonsense we got with the earlier outing.
    Ok, finished it. Enjoyed the last half much more than the first half. Once Diana put on her real costume, I was in to it. The dialogue still stinks, for the most part. But Etta was cute. And it was nice to see Ferdinand, if just for a few minutes.

I haven’t *watched* the 2008 Keri Russel cartoon in years. Maybe it doesn’t stand up to my memory. But I did like it when it came out: maybe in part because I was so hungry/desperate for a WW movie of any kind. I’ll have to rewatch. I do remember particularly liking the scene where Hippolyta marks the star on the clay baby’s forehead with her blood. Pretty cool (and clearly Gail’s touch.)

Quote Originally Posted by igloocharlie View Post
    It's been a long time since I've taken to a comics message board, but I have to vent:

I'm 20 minutes in to Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (which I'd heretofore avoided because I am severely not a fan of the Psylocke costume they used) -- and the movie is just *awful.* The dialogue is *so dumb,* the decisions the characters make are completely insensible -- this feels like the roughest of rough drafts of a script. Very clear the writer, Mairghread Scott, is not terribly interested in (or at all invested in) the characters she was assigned to work with. I suspect a quick search for a woman cartoon writer turned up very few candidates, and they went with her . . . .

I'd go in to how I feel the characters of the Kapatelis women were mishandled, but it's been since the 90s that they were treated with any kind of respect. No one after George Perez seems to have liked or cared for them very much (as a writer). Even Phil Jimenenz.

The general consensus among WW fans must be that this cartoon is terrible, right? This feels like what I *feared* the first animated WW movie (Keri Russell) would be like, but thank God it wasn't.

Anyway, just venting while we wait to get a call on the presidential election.

I'm going to try to finish the movie. Wish I hadn't paid $15 to own it through Amazon Prime.
    At least it is WW content. I had little hope with the last regime. Hopefully we will see an optical in quality and quantity in the coming months.

Ok, finished it. Enjoyed the last half much more than the first half. Once Diana put on her real costume, I was in to it. The dialogue still stinks, for the most part. But Etta was cute. And it was nice to see Ferdinand, if just for a few minutes.

I haven’t *watched* the 2008 Keri Russel cartoon in years. Maybe it doesn’t stand up to my memory. But I did like it when it came out: maybe in part because I was so hungry/desperate for a WW movie of any kind. I’ll have to rewatch. I do remember particularly liking the scene where Hippolyta marks the star on the clay baby’s forehead with her blood. Pretty cool (and clearly Gail’s touch.)
    I liked '09 movie when I first watched it years ago but going back to it following stuff like the movie and reading more WW it does a lot of stuff I was afraid a live-action movie would end up doing.

The 2009 movie is not without it's flaws but it is focused, properly paced, has competent writing were Diana and Ares are concerned and doesn't throw things in for cheap fan service (well except for the Invisible Jet which is never explained). Any problem it has, Bloodlines has tenfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked '09 movie when I first watched it years ago but going back to it following stuff like the movie and reading more WW it does a lot of stuff I was afraid a live-action movie would end up doing.
    Even if it did, it would still beat Bloodlines by a very wide margin.

Yeah that was all Gail and beautifully done. It's one of her many ideas that I enjoyed. Though the fact Diana doesn't fly in that version vexes me. Steve was annoying, I dislike the animation and it strayed too far from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Even if it did, it would still beat Bloodlines by a very wide margin.
    Wasn't really comparing the two, I prefer Bloodlines but neither are perfect or far apart in my opinion, just giving my thoughts on '09.

The 2009 movie is not without it's flaws but it is focused, properly paced, has competent writing were Diana and Ares are concerned and doesn't throw things in for cheap fan service (well except for the Invisible Jet which is never explained). Any problem it has, Bloodlines has tenfold.
    Steve Trevor doesn't try and get Diana drunk and Etta Candy doesn't completely miss the point of the character, so that's points in Bloodlines' favor .

I'd say Diana was written well in Bloodlines. Honestly, I'd say her portrayal would be something I'd cite as what I would like to see as more of a standard, other than feeling like Hippolyta was disappointed in her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Steve Trevor doesn't try and get Diana drunk and Etta Candy doesn't completely miss the point of the character,
    Like I said, it isn't perfect but Bloodlines has way more problems.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-07-2020 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Steve Trevor doesn't try and get Diana drunk and Etta Candy doesn't completely miss the point of the character, so that's points in Bloodlines' favor
    Bloodlines did these two better but then it also horribly mischaracterized Julia on top of killing her off. So both aren't great with the supporting cast.

Like I said, it isn't perfect but Bloodlines has way more problems.
    I think it has more points in its favor than people give it credit for, but that's just me. Like I said, I felt like they had a good take on Diana.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Other than Rosario Dawson sounding like she was half asleep in some of the line readings (a general problem I notice with a lot of the voice acting in these movies), I was overall fine with how Diana was characterized in Bloodlines. The major missteps were Hippolyta and Julia and killing the latter off so they could do a rushed Silver Swan arc. But it was balanced out by having a much better takes on Steve and Etta with a fun bonus of Ferdinand. The plot was way too busy so 09 had the advantage of being focused on an origin story, but the stuff it had for the origin story was either pretty boring or baffling (Ares raping Hippolyta to father a child). Also had the weird "men and women need to communicate more, the Amazons are wrong to cut themselves off" which seemed mostly in service to justify Diana returning to Man's World to love this crappy version of Steve.

Neither one of them is great and the character and her world deserves much better. But Bloodlines had a cool take on Dr. Cyber even if she appeared briefly, so it gets the edge for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Other than Rosario Dawson sounding like she was half asleep in some of the line readings (a general problem I notice with a lot of the voice acting in these movies), I was overall fine with how Diana was characterized in Bloodlines. The major missteps were Hippolyta and Julia and killing the latter off so they could do a rushed Silver Swan arc. But it was balanced out by having a much better takes on Steve and Etta with a fun bonus of Ferdinand. The plot was way too busy so 09 had the advantage of being focused on an origin story, but the stuff it had for the origin story was either pretty boring or baffling (Ares raping Hippolyta to father a child). Also had the weird "men and women need to communicate more, the Amazons are wrong to cut themselves off" which seemed mostly in service to justify Diana returning to Man's World to love this crappy version of Steve.

Neither one of them is great and the character and her world deserves much better. But Bloodlines had a cool take on Dr. Cyber even if she appeared briefly, so it gets the edge for me lol.
    Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Diana needing to be taught lessons about gender dynamics from that version of Steve either.

I thought Dawson did a good job in the movie, especially as it went along.