Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    The rebooted Kate Kane as Batwoman other than her sexuality as an out and proud lesbian (with a cop fetish), she's been seen as a rookie superhero, an already established and competent superhero, the black sheep of the Bat family (the one who wants very little to do with Bruce Wayne and the rest), an extreme loner, a team player/leader, and/or a renegade bat that has and will kill people in extreme situations.
    Sorry, what? Kate is one of the most consistent Big Two characters full stop, let alone in the Batman franchise.

You're neglecting to mention that all of those things (at least, the ones that are actually true) have story and character progression and context attached to them. Unless we're just referring to character development as inconsistencies now.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Harley Quinn for sure. Dc does not know if they want her as the strong independent woman or the abused traumatized ex girl friend. One minute she is a psycho who kills and the next she is chilling with Wonder Woman and the JLA. I wish they would just pick a path and stick to it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Maybe its not DC not knowing what to do with characters like HQ & PI but DC is testing the waters by giving these characters anti heroic or heroic potrayals. Harley becomes too popular to just be Joker's sidekick and Ivy gets tagged along as a supporting character & even as Harley's love interest. Harley is someone who is defined by the her love for the Joker so it makes sense to push Harlivy to create a more "girl power" independent image of Harley. But the real nature of Harley & Ivy relationship is not even that of a mutual friendship. Harlivy only becomes a thing in comics and other mediums because its a popular ship. But with Harley, you know that she is not gonna be potrayed to be too villainous to the point of turning off readers or viewers while Ivy has that enviromentalist aspect that makes her sympathetic but at the same time she is too good at being a villain against Batman.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 11-24-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Gotham Girl.

I can’t tell if she’s good, evil, crazy or what.

And I can’t understand her superpowers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Gotham Girl.

I can’t tell if she’s good, evil, crazy or what.

And I can’t understand her superpowers.
    I'd say she is good but easily manipulated by those that know her grief over her brother.

Poison Ivy will literally help stop a global pandemic in one book and be plotting world destruction in another book that comes out on the same day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Poison Ivy will literally help stop a global pandemic in one book and be plotting world destruction in another book that comes out on the same day.
    The more heroic Ivy is recent. If you read Ivy's past potrayals, she is someone who would worsen a pandemic. Infecting people has been her thing.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 11-27-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Joker, but I guess the inconsistencies have been established as being a canon character trait.
    I was thinking the Joker, but the Three Jokers does deal with this pretty well.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    The more heroic Ivy is recent. If you read Ivy's past potrayals, she is someone who would worsen a pandemic. Infecting people has been her thing.
    When did Heroic Ivy start. Was it with the New Fifty Two Birds of Prey comic? Gotham Sirens? I'm sure it can be traced back to the Batman Animated Series tie in comics of the late 90s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    When did Heroic Ivy start. Was it with the New Fifty Two Birds of Prey comic? Gotham Sirens? I'm sure it can be traced back to the Batman Animated Series tie in comics of the late 90s.
    I'd say the new 52 when DC pairs up Harley with Ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I'd say the new 52 when DC pairs up Harley with Ivy.
    Arguably there was some seeds (get it, seeds?) planted when she took in those kids during No Man's Land.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Arguably there was some seeds (get it, seeds?) planted when she took in those kids during No Man's Land.
    Ivy being friendly to children is not something that first appears in No Man's Land. However in No Man's Land Ivy was still villainous. She killed people to claim the park and those that enter it.

Is Batman...

That's my answer.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    You know, nobody ever talks about an earlier Len Wein story that portrayed Mr. Freeze in a sympathetic light and trying to cure himself for a two-timing moll he'd fallen in love with. Freeze was as characterized as any other B-lister at the time. Tired of this historical revisionism.
    Len Wein said in interviews that he always wrote villains from a sympathetic point of view. I think this developed out of his being sick as a child and always being bed ridden--he had empathy for all people, even those that go astray.