Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Across multiple media - Bane, largely because so many seem convinced making him a big strong dude is all that he needs, and even after stuff like Arkham Origins and Dark Knight Rises, someone at WB made the dumb decision to bring back Stupid Bane for that dumb Hush movie.
    At least they actually addressed him acting dumber than he should be because he was practically overdosed on Venom, but still not his best showing.

It's kind of hilarious Bane's best showing in years has been in the Harley Quinn cartoon.

BANNED

I think as a whole this franchise is full of inconsistencies. Bruce character is essentially moving forward, moving backward, there is no in between the two. Damian is same. Harley Quinn really depends on the writer if they wanted her to be too heroic, a Deadpool view of justice, or just in between the two. It's like DC doesn't have a guideline of their characters.

Amazing Member

Damian is the most inconsistent, he moved forward then backwward, sometimes he's more sophisticated and then he likes videogames, etc.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dazai_Osamu View Post
    Damian is the most inconsistent, he moved forward then backwward, sometimes he's more sophisticated and then he likes videogames, etc.
    ThatTimDrakeGuy is this you?

Damian has been playing video games for years now pre flashpoint and he is also very sophisticated.

You can be both you know just like people act differently depending on who they are interacting with and the dynamic they share.

Damian with Dick isn't the same as Damian with his team.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 11-12-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Surprise to see Damian cited. In the past few years [since Rebirth began] only Bruce and Harley have been handled by more writers. Damian at last count has had

Glass
    Bendis
    Tomasi
    Tynion
    Taylor
    Williamson
    Percy
    Seeley
    King
    Esposito
    Jurgens
    Kelly and Lanzing
    Higgins
    Moreci
    Thompson
    Snyder
    Russell
    Rossmo
    King
    Rob Williams
    Orlando
    Manupul
    Priest

to name those I can easily recall

Out of those Bendis and Glass are the outliers. Everyone else was consistent and in character.

Writers like King had him cry but he was still consistent.

I think when one consider ALL the writers who have handle them and the multitude of titles they have appeared in since Rebirth Bruce and Damian are quite consistent.

The most inconsistent;

It's a toss up between Jason and Harley.

Their characters vary wildly between titles. Jason isn't even consistent under Lobdell his writer for 9 years or so.
    I like this reply.

Good job providing recipts.

It annoys me when some fans claim that Damian gets regressed or say such stupid things like Tomasi is the only one who knows how to write Damian with any actual evidence to back it up.

When you task them to give examples they come up with one example which is arse when compared with the sheer number of writers who have written the guy.

It's just parroting what they've seen someone vomit online without backup so it's good to see a rundown of the many writers who have written him since 2016 [though you missed out a few]

I find most of these writers have a solid handle on his character.

Tomasi ironically has regressed Damian's character both in B&R and in Supersons

Astonishing Member

I pondered this for a second and then realized that with the sheer amount, the critical mass of Batman stories of different varieties in different eras by different writers for different mediums and on and on and on ... it's like a mug's game to try to figure out "which character" of the whole lot of them. We all notice it sometimes, get a pang of OOC, think something isn't quite slick enough, doesn't feel right. And that's in a universe where we can all reconcile the differences between like ... a Conroy Batman, a Brave & Bold Batman, a Golden Age Batman, a Keaton Batman, a Bale Batman, a Morrison Batman, a Dini Batman, all the way on down ... and be like ... yep, that's Batman!

Off the cuff though I just want to roll with Dick Grayson and the Joker.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I pondered this for a second and then realized that with the sheer amount, the critical mass of Batman stories of different varieties in different eras by different writers for different mediums and on and on and on ... it's like a mug's game to try to figure out "which character" of the whole lot of them. We all notice it sometimes, get a pang of OOC, think something isn't quite slick enough, doesn't feel right. And that's in a universe where we can all reconcile the differences between like ... a Conroy Batman, a Brave & Bold Batman, a Golden Age Batman, a Keaton Batman, a Bale Batman, a Morrison Batman, a Dini Batman, all the way on down ... and be like ... yep, that's Batman!

Off the cuff though I just want to roll with Dick Grayson and the Joker.
    Joker is an obvious case and it's waste of time to think about his characterization because his essence is pure chaos, but why Dick Grayson? Apart from Ric arc and his relationship with women, he's quite consistent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Joker is an obvious case and it's waste of time to think about his characterization because his essence is pure chaos, but why Dick Grayson? Apart from Ric arc and his relationship with women, he's quite consistent for me.
    Depends over what time frame. Dick used to be really mature, cerebral, and such. Pretty serious-natured in general in the 1970s and 1980s. Think he became "not a big thinker" and so forth - hate that so much. For me, 90s Dick is different from 70s and 80s Dick and I have lots of problems with post-2000ish Dick (as someone once said, Devin Grayson contributed a lot in direction/shaping of the character - unfortunately, I hate most of what came from that). Once upon a time, he was a very strong leader - not caving and shutting down the Titans. He was a person that other characters respected and/or admired (and first gen heroes treated as a peer), but now they often don't. He's had times where they treat him as a joke.

Dick in the 60s Teen Titans is a different kettle of fish altogether (they pushed "teen" hard on behavior and especially on slang/vocabulary - and now the language seems clunky enough it hurts to read sometimes). But I can't really call that the kind of inconsistent of those that change with every writer-swap on a title or are different in multiple books at the same time.

And, of course, Joker's essence wasn't originally pure chaos, nor was he funny. I still like golden age Joker best. Who meticulously plans things. Is a murderer, but not mass murderer. And isn't zany. Still think his first story is very, very good.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-13-2020 at 05:28 AM.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Isn't that more like the matter of perspective? Like it makes sense that his teammate saw him as sociopath but Bruce saw his own son as misguided teen. Personally I think that it's not inconsistent writing, but a way to make the story more complex.
    The stories are generally told from an omniscient third-person perspective. Your statement would only work if the stories were told from a first-person perspective. I suppose an argument could be made that Damian has multiple personas: one in Super Sons, one in Teen Titans, and one when working with his father. If so, I'd say the extent of the personas and the actions taken in Teen Titans would pretty much turn him into a villain. I'd rather they shuffle him off to comic book limbo than turn him into a full-blown villain.

With Dick i see his personality mostly consistent if you look at it as him aging. As kid he was laughing daredevil, as teen he was angsty and serious, and as an adult he’s a balance of both. Where he’s widely inconsistent is with his abilities and reputation. He’s one of the best fighters in the world only to get one shotted, he one the best leaders who’s teams are discarded and left in shambles, he’s the “heart” of DC though he’s mostly isolated to just his solo where none of his so many friends ever show up. Ability and reputation wise his portrayal is often frustratingly inconsistent with his general selling points.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-14-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    The stories are generally told from an omniscient third-person perspective. Your statement would only work if the stories were told from a first-person perspective. I suppose an argument could be made that Damian has multiple personas: one in Super Sons, one in Teen Titans, and one when working with his father. If so, I'd say the extent of the personas and the actions taken in Teen Titans would pretty much turn him into a villain. I'd rather they shuffle him off to comic book limbo than turn him into a full-blown villain.
    I mean comparison between Teen Titans book and current ongoing Detective Comic. Of course Damian is very different on Supersons compared on TT, after all the direction for Damian on both books are very different. On Superson, Damian partnered with Kid Super, so he was written as more light personality, because let's be honest, normal Damian will give Jon trauma XD. On TT, Damian is directed to lose his Robin title since the start of the book, according to Glass. That is indeed an inconsistency. But I don't think there's inconsistency between Teen Titans book and current ongoing Detective Comic after all the narrators are different, and there's still too little Damian POV on Tec to judge his characterization.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I would nominate Talia Al Ghul. Was she ever portrayed as the irredeemable monster she is in Batman Inc before Morrison's run?

BANNED

Talia becomes more of a psychotic killer while other female Batman's villains become anti heroes and even heroes (Catwoman & Harley Quinn are basically treated as Batfam members). However with Talia, you could use the Lazarus pit as an explaination for such shift in characterization.

Villains would definately have more inconsistencies in their characterization due to them being written more as antagonists to the heroes.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 11-16-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Poison Ivy's another one. Doesn't help that she's another one where DC markets her as a villain and a hero at the same time.

The rebooted Kate Kane as Batwoman other than her sexuality as an out and proud lesbian (with a cop fetish), she's been seen as a rookie superhero, an already established and competent superhero, the black sheep of the Bat family (the one who wants very little to do with Bruce Wayne and the rest), an extreme loner, a team player/leader, and/or a renegade bat that has and will kill people in extreme situations.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 11-20-2020 at 07:42 AM.