View Poll Results: What Silver Age Titles Would You Resurrect?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • HOUSE OF MYSTERY

12 33.33%
  • The PHANTOM STRANGER

9 25.00%
  • CONGO BILL

1 2.78%
  • SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN

6 16.67%
  • THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD

22 61.11%
  • MY GREATEST ADVENTURE

3 8.33%
  • SHOWCASE

18 50.00%
  • TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED

5 13.89%
  • HOUSE OF SECRETS

8 22.22%
  • CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN

9 25.00%
  • SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE

6 16.67%
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA

17 47.22%
  • RIP HUNTER...TIME MASTER

6 16.67%
  • SEA DEVILS

4 11.11%
  • The ATOM

11 30.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Which of These Silver Age Titles Would You Resurrect and Why?

I'm starting where I left off. Which of these late Golden Age/Silver Age titles would you resurrect? Choose as many as you like. What would you do with them?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

With Houses of Mystery and Secrets, I'd create (heh...or 'have someone create') two anthology series of 'mini-series' with one set of creators telling a 4-6 issue story followed by another set of creators with a new story, dealing, respectively, with people caught up in a mystery, supernatural or 'detective', or themselves 'mysterious, and, similarly, dealing with secrets, people with secrets, the effect a secret has on those who share it. Congo Bill simply reflects my desire for more 'jungle comics'. And Lois Lane would be for a semi-political, semi-sociological series of investigative reporting by Lois Lane, take-no-**** reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, reflecting on situations current in the world today.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Retired

As with the previous poll, I'd be happy with any of these titles coming back. And there's none that I'm more invested in than the others. But I decided to back all the mystery/horror/adventure anthologies (HOUSE OF MYSTERY and OF SECRETS, TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, MY GREATEST ADVENTURE) plus PHANTOM STRANGER and SEA DEVILS. I expect that P.S. could be an anthology, too. SEA DEVILS was quirky toward the end of its classic run and I'd like to see someone revive them. I also figure that if they brought back these titles, they might do more reprints--which is what I'm mainly interested in having.

I think there's a good chance that all the titles listed will come back at some point--probably not for a long stay but maybe for ten or twelve issues.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Brave & The Bold
    Showcase
    Tales of the Unexpected

Same reasoning behind all three. I think they would fill a niche that is currently being neglected within the DCU.
    A team-up book, a book where anything new or left of centre is given a shot and a good old fashioned horror/mystery book.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

OK just picked my five. This was harder for me. BRAVE AND THE BOLD first and foremost. We need a team-up book. And I would keep it general rather than Batman-centered like it was for a lot of its run. Then SHOWCASE. Exactly what it always was, a try-out title for new or lesser-known characters and series. Then HOUSE OF MYSTERY, a classic title I'd make an anthology. Then I went with CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN (I just love the idea of them) and The ATOM (because come on!).

The top 3 here appear to be THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, SHOWCASE & JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.

I voted for several titles, most of which were non-super-hero (or started as non-super-hero) books. For me, one of the reasons the comic buying audience has shrunk over the years is that the industry got tunnel vision where super-heroes were concerned, and if you are looking to expand your customer base, you need to expand the genres you are offering. Showcase and Brave & Bold were at their best when they were try-out books-not just for new super-heroes but for a diverse offering of genres and story types. The House of books and Tales of the Unexpected offer a chance to do some stuff in a genre with a lot of fans (horror/suspense) that could work better in the mass market than the monolithic direct market. My Greatest Adventure and Challengers allow for some straight adventure/thriller type material that also has a wider appeal. And lastly, Phantom Stranger just because he is one of my favorite DC characters (at least the Silver/Bronze Age version) and Secret Origins #10 is one of my top 5 comics of all time, and I think a PS book with him wandering and getting involve din other people's problems serving as a catalyst to them addressing/resolving those issues would make for a great drama series, and if you add in a little gothic horror/supernatural element occasionally, (kind of a Supernatural/X-Files meets Touched by an Angel to give it an elevator pitch) you could have something that again appeals to a wider customer base than just the super-hero direct market buyer.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD is the top choice here so far, followed by SHOWCASE. A majority of voters choosing both. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA is in third place. CONGO BILL and SEA DEVILS are in last place with a single vote each.

Rip Hunter the TV version with his Han Solo look

I choose JLA because I love the Satellite years.but would add Katana.Vixen.Lady Quark.Omac.Cpt Comet.Black Lightning.Broinze Tiger.Sunburst or Rising Sun

Astonishing Member

Brave and the Bold for me. And Showcase.

Any more votes?