Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Whatever Happened to Luthor's Daughter?

Apparently from the late 90s to the early 00s, Lex Luthor had a daughter. I was completely oblivious to this fact until I read Superman Villains Secret Files and Origins. I looked on the internet and apparently this daughter was aged up into a teenage iteration of Brainiac in Our Worlds at War, was featured in Chuck Austen's Superman Metropolis, and apparently was never seen again.

Why did this character stop appearing in the comics and how would you incorperate her into the current Superman titles?

Simple, Lex got deaged to be the same age as Superman, so they wiped her from continuity. They wanted both Supes and Lex to be “young-ish” and making Lex a dad didn’t mesh with that. I wouldn’t bring her back at all, the whole purpose she served of being the morality pet for Lex that Lex then brutally screws over to show there’s nothing he won’t do for power is fulfilled by his sister (also called Lena) now.

By the time she was last seen, sometime around the time that the President Lex stuff ended, she was back to an infant after all the age-ups. If they wanted to bring her back now? It would seem obvious to me. Bring her in as a ten year old who gets along with Jon assuming he's deaged too. She's technically a meta on a permanent level when we last left her, as even though she had been deaged, she retained the Brainiac symbol on her forehead.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I really hated how Lena was erased from continuity, especially as it happened off page with no comment.
    Even de aged Lex was plenty old enough to be a father.
    I thought there was lots of potential that could've been done still with Lex as a father. I had the idea that Lex could go to prison, or go on the run or off planet or be presumed dead, whatever, and make Lois baby Lena's guardian. That would've created a lot of conflict, especially when Lex inevitably returned.
    Or perhaps Lana as the guardian, and Lana could be persuaded to marry Lex to keep Lena when he returned.
    With Jon around - at whatever age he winds up being post Future State, bringing back Lena would be a great idea.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Simple, Lex got deaged to be the same age as Superman, so they wiped her from continuity. They wanted both Supes and Lex to be “young-ish” and making Lex a dad didn’t mesh with that. I wouldn’t bring her back at all, the whole purpose she served of being the morality pet for Lex that Lex then brutally screws over to show there’s nothing he won’t do for power is fulfilled by his sister (also called Lena) now.
    I remember Luthor being deaged during the They Savex Luthor's Brain arc after his old body died due to long term exposure to Kryptonite, but I do not recall Luthor being deaged in the 2000s. Does this have to do with Infinite Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sister Lena is a villain herself, Ultrawoman.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Lena_Luthor_(Prime_Earth)

A version of her actually existed pre-Crisis.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Lena_Luthor_(Earth-One)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I remember Luthor being deaged during the They Savex Luthor's Brain arc after his old body died due to long term exposure to Kryptonite, but I do not recall Luthor being deaged in the 2000s. Does this have to do with Infinite Crisis?
    Yeah he was retconned around then to be Clark's age.

Lena though was an infant after Our Worlds at War, so it wasn't age, but they phased out all of the older Metropolis plots to streamline.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah he was retconned around then to be Clark's age.

Lena though was an infant after Our Worlds at War, so it wasn't age, but they phased out all of the older Metropolis plots to streamline.
    That's because of Birthright isn't it, with Lex aged down to be a contemporary of Clark's from Smallville.

BANNED

Went to Limbo like any other characters.

Extraordinary Member

They erased all the Superman title babies.

Ron Troupe and Lucy Lane’s son Sam is gone.

Lana Lang and Pete Ross’s son Clark is gone.

Cat Grant having a son killed by Toyman is gone.

Luthor cucking Perry White with a son, is gone.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Adam was involved in a retcon, but not erased like Jerry. Originally Cat worked to cope with what happened and moved forward in the supporting cast while Schott went between hard time and an elevated villain status, only for Superman to try giving him a second chance due to his mental illness

Johns retconned so that Adam's death sent Cat out to the west coast. Then she came back as a hollow version of herself to hide what she went through I guess. Schott was absolved via Doombot. Which went well enough for Johns that he just gave Brainiac the same Doombot gimmick immediately after, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That's because of Birthright isn't it, with Lex aged down to be a contemporary of Clark's from Smallville.
    Something I believe they wanted to do regardless, because they ignored virtually everything else from Birthright
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Ah,Lena Luthor. I myself nearly forgot about her. At least the version that was Lex's daughter.

The fact is that Lena was one of the threads created by the Jurgens/Simonson era team that they had plans for,but didn't stay long enough to continue .

It looked like Mark Shultze (Simonson's successor on the Man of Steel book) had plans with Lena involving the "Quintessence" (remember them,anyone?) But he himself was soon gone and Lena's last canon appearance was the Metropolis maxiseries by Chuck Austin, and then it and pretty much any dangling threads left over from pre Loeb and Kelly was done away with after Superman #200 shifted continuity to the weird Birthright inspired limbo that led up to Infinite Crisis,which rebooted everything yet again.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-09-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.