Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Was the Lana Lang character used after Austen's run Pre-Flashpoint? Did DC try to do damage control for Lana did they just ignored the love triangle subplot?
    Austen's run was completely ignored and Lana was made head of LexCorp following Infinite Crisis and the resolution of the President Lex situation. Austen's use of her was forgotten. The sad attempt at a love triangle was also ignored.

The Ma Kent scene was terrible too. This whole run was trash. Read Rucka's Adventures of Superman run instead or even For Tomorrow.

Incredible Member

all the superman characters were totally out of characters. austen has his patented love triangle where lana would leave her underwear for lois to find and be jealous. it's utterly ridiculous and you also have the issue right after the 'ending battle' arc with manchester black where superman crack jokes and got all upset and was willing to kill over some orphan dying , it was just bad writing. Also, doomsday in superman underoos - i can't unsee.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    all the superman characters were totally out of characters. austen has his patented love triangle where lana would leave her underwear for lois to find and be jealous. it's utterly ridiculous and you also have the issue right after the 'ending battle' arc with manchester black where superman crack jokes and got all upset and was willing to kill over some orphan dying , it was just bad writing. Also, doomsday in superman underoos - i can't unsee.
    Was it implied that Superman was romantically involved with Lana during Austen's run?

Was it implied that Superman was romantically involved with Lana during Austen's run?
    No. Lana was trying to ruin their marriage because she was written like some desperate homewrecker. Nothing actually happened.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It was ignored because continuity was knocked for a loop, not singled out. That's not really a fair assessment of the relationship between Austen and IC... who addressed the Ross split before Rucka tried to reconcile, only for Busiek to complete the divorce post IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I would disagree it was on the same trajectory as far back as Jurgens. In the triangle era Lana never wanted to actively break up his engagement/marriage to Lois in order to get back with him. Yeah there were still feelings deep down, but she was respectful. Nor do I recall her having the type of venom toward Lois that she was portrayed with here back then. I mean, if they had regressed her after that before Austen, fair enough. Makes sense I would miss that since that was the period I left and I've still never actively read everything from that time, but I just wouldn't agree at all that it was recognizable to what the triangle years did with her.
    You're not alone there. Up until this year I spent a good five years plumbing through various eras and before taking some time off (maybe it was noticeable, haha) I could say I was fresh. But if I took as long away as many other people probably did from that stuff I'd be lucky to remember half as much.

Anyway, there was always tension based on what Lana knew and felt, and hid from Pete. I think we can all admit that without the idea of Clark and Lois being infertile as a couple, naming the Ross kid Clark was just rough. That's the kind of plot a Bendis would pick up and get credit for. Besides having Reis I thought this whole time people would also come to realize that Bendis isn't as different from Austen as some fans might want. Anyway here was Doomsday Wars

Here's the gist of the homewrecker Lana everyone remembers

In the context of Diana and Lana being there where Lois was away, yes Austen developed his own drama, but you have to actively ignore this to make that point. If you want to believe that idea so badly you can, but it's not fair to put on what Austen laid out.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

People rag on Bendis, but Chuck Austen's Superman has gone down as one of, if not the most, hated runs on the character. Why is his tenure on Superman so despised? Is it really as bad as people say?

In addition what are your thoughts on Superman: Metropolis, a twelve issue miniseries Austen wrote starring Jimmy Olsen?

I'm by no means a fan of Bendis' run on Superman and it's up there with Truth as my least favourite Superman run from the last decade. However, everything I've heard and read about Austen's Action Comics run is equally dire. It was before I got into comics seriously. Lana as a homewrecker is wrong, Lois was a jealous B-word for no reason and the stories were atrociously bad. So yeah not a good period for Superman fans either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It was ignored because continuity was knocked for a loop, not singled out. That's not really a fair assessment of the relationship between Austen and IC... who addressed the Ross split before Rucka tried to reconcile, only for Busiek to complete the divorce post IC.

You're not alone there. Up until this year I spent a good five years plumbing through various eras and before taking some time off (maybe it was noticeable, haha) I could say I was fresh. But if I took as long away as many other people probably did from that stuff I'd be lucky to remember half as much.

Anyway, there was always tension based on what Lana knew and felt, and hid from Pete. I think we can all admit that without the idea of Clark and Lois being infertile as a couple, naming the Ross kid Clark was just rough. That's the kind of plot a Bendis would pick up and get credit for. Besides having Reis I thought this whole time people would also come to realize that Bendis isn't as different from Austen as some fans might want. Anyway here was Doomsday Wars

Here's the gist of the homewrecker Lana everyone remembers

In the context of Diana and Lana being there where Lois was away, yes Austen developed his own drama, but you have to actively ignore this to make that point. If you want to believe that idea so badly you can, but it's not fair to put on what Austen laid out.
    The context of the first photo is completely different, Pete didn't know Clark was Superman, so his confusion at the idea that Lana would need him to leave to talk to Clark or be hoping he would show up - to save their kidnapped son - is justifiable as a misunderstanding. There was no misunderstanding in the homewrecker vibe Austen went for. If anything that scene reads as Lana gaslighting Clark about her motivations. Lana was actively crapping on Lois and leaving her panties under L&C's bed in his run. It's a far cry from being confused as to why he was asked to leave or why Lana was hoping Clark would show up.

So even if there was some groundwork for Lana having not fully moved on from Clark (and that's kinda part of her shick, so I don't think anyone was saying Austen invented that aspect) Austen's use and execution of that aspect of the storyline was still horrendous. The only parallels I could see in execution between Austen and Bendis might be in the way he took Lois' out of nowhere dissatisfaction with her job while raising Jon or Jor El's 180 from kidnapped villain to crazy grandpa. Because while there may have been a kernel of those elements in the prior stories - Bendis blew it up to tell the story he wanted.

And of course the biggest difference between Bendis and Austen, is that to my knowledge no shops have threatened to drop Bendis' Superman books until he is fired from the title. That is actually a pretty significant achievement considering social media wasn't anywhere near as robust back then and the backlash would have had to have been much more direct and overt to move the shops to that point.
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-09-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The context of the first photo is completely different, Pete didn't know Clark was Superman, so his confusion at the idea that Lana would need him to leave to talk to Clark or be hoping he would show up - to save their kidnapped son - is justifiable as a misunderstanding. There was no misunderstanding in the homewrecker vibe Austen went for. If anything that scene reads as Lana gaslighting Clark about her motivations. Lana was actively crapping on Lois and leaving her panties under L&C's bed in his run. It's a far cry from being confused as to why he was asked to leave or why Lana was hoping Clark would show up.

So even if there was some groundwork for Lana having not fully moved on from Clark (and that's kinda part of her shick, so I don't think anyone was saying Austen invented that aspect) Austen's use and execution of that aspect of the storyline was still horrendous. The only parallels I could see in execution between Austen and Bendis might be in the way he took Lois' out of nowhere dissatisfaction with her job while raising Jon or Jor El's 180 from kidnapped villain to crazy grandpa. Because while there may have been a kernel of those elements in the prior stories - Bendis blew it up to tell the story he wanted.

And of course the biggest difference between Bendis and Austen, is that to my knowledge no shops have threatened to drop Bendis' Superman books until he is fired from the title. That is actually a pretty significant achievement considering social media wasn't anywhere near as robust back then and the backlash would have had to have been much more direct and overt to move the shops to that point.
    My point is that Austen receives more than due hate for his run based on who he is on a character not all that popular in the first place, so the extreme reaction to me doesn't really point to the opposite.

Lana settling for pete was a very apparent part of the narrative going back to their dating. And it wasn't until Rucka that Pete found out about Clark's secret, so isn't it fair to say that the problems present by Doomsday Wars could have gotten worse? Some years before Austen Lana had a heart to heart with Clark where she mentioned that she had been getting into arguments with Pete. Extreme, but not out of nowhere. I mean Austen has her go through everything about it on page so I don't know what to say.

The underwear thing was weird, but somehow it never actually seemed to mean anything. We don't even know if it was hers.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Never read Austen, so I’m kinda curious to read it and see if it’s as bad as others say. Austen is infamous among Big 2 Fandom for his writing so I’m honestly fascinated to see that for myself. I’m not a big X-Men guy so I don’t really quite understand the roots of the hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    My point is that Austen receives more than due hate for his run based on who he is on a character not all that popular in the first place, so the extreme reaction to me doesn't really point to the opposite.
    Yeah, I feel like part of the hatred of Austen's run was that he rubbed fandom the wrong way. I don't know how or when it started, but whenever I read a fan reaction to the words "Chuck Austen," I could almost feel the hate.

Personally, I didn't like it, but it is almost entirely based on his take on Lana, which nearly set the character back a few decades. To be honest, I remember very little about it other than what he did with Lana, and the ending of his run (that Austen probably didn't write himself). Was it the worst Superman run ever? I think it's the most unpopular, but calling it the worst might not be giving credit to some of the other dull runs the book had seen. At the very least, I don't think Austen did anything with Superman that had long-lasting implications. You could mostly ignore his run and you wouldn't feel like there were any big gaps.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I feel like part of the hatred of Austen's run was that he rubbed fandom the wrong way. I don't know how or when it started, but whenever I read a fan reaction to the words "Chuck Austen," I could almost feel the hate.

Personally, I didn't like it, but it is almost entirely based on his take on Lana, which nearly set the character back a few decades. To be honest, I remember very little about it other than what he did with Lana, and the ending of his run (that Austen probably didn't write himself). Was it the worst Superman run ever? I think it's the most unpopular, but calling it the worst might not be giving credit to some of the other dull runs the book had seen. At the very least, I don't think Austen did anything with Superman that had long-lasting implications. You could mostly ignore his run and you wouldn't feel like there were any big gaps.
    What are other contenders for "the WORST Superman run"?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Never read Austen, so I’m kinda curious to read it and see if it’s as bad as others say. Austen is infamous among Big 2 Fandom for his writing so I’m honestly fascinated to see that for myself. I’m not a big X-Men guy so I don’t really quite understand the roots of the hatred.

Totaled car ? no problem , burn his autograph and sell it on ebay.

Lmao now you’ve sold it to me. Give me an absolutely awful book that’s entertaining in how bad it is over a boring mediocre book any day. That’s some peak Superdickery right there and he should absolutely use that line on Lex one of these days.

It was okay for the most part.

The Clark-Lois-Lana triangle? I can take it or leave it.
    Pull List: Currently Empty