Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Apart from the two Spider-Men, are there really many other examples of duplicates working? I suppose there was the league of Batgirls and Batboys in 'DC Bombshells', but that's the only one that comes to mind for now.

And of course not to forget the Batgirl Future's End, heh. And We Are Robin - okay a few examples.

Last edited by Bat-Meal; 11-15-2020 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Getting these links to work

BANNED

You never see multiple characters hold Batman or Superman mantle at the same time. Batman is Bruce Wayne and Superman is Clark Kent. This idea of having multiple characters hold the same mantles just shows you that Batgirl and Robin are ultimately Batman's replacable underlings.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 11-15-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    You never see multiple characters hold Batman or Superman mantle at the same time. Batman is Bruce Wayne and Superman is Clark Kent. This idea of having multiple characters hold the same mantles just shows you that Batgirl and Robin are ultimately Batman's replacable underlings.
    DC_Bombshells_Batgirls_Issue7.jpg

Well, it certainly weakens the significance of the mantle, that I agree with. And in turn that likely weakens the significance of any character holding that position - after all if there are (or have been) many Robins/Batgirls/Batwomen then that person is less special for it, because that mantle is not unique to them. But I would hope that context still plays some part in things.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I disagree. I don’t think having multiple (insert title here) inherently weakens anything unless the successors are carbon copy knock offs of the original(s) or written to not respect the legacy of the mantle they wear.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I disagree. I don’t think having multiple (insert title here) inherently weakens anything unless the successors are carbon copy knock offs of the original(s) or written to not respect the legacy of the mantle they wear.
    i gotta agree with Arsenal
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    If there's a whole bunch of them running around at once then by definition they are less unique though. But again, context should still matter.

Incredible Member

context is always important
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    If there's a whole bunch of them running around at once then by definition they are less unique though. But again, context should still matter.
    Well using the example of We are Robin, the purpose wasn't for them to share the mantle literally (they all had different handles derived from Robin) the point is to carry the ideal. one guy hold the title only inherently makes the name more unique if that character is meant to be nothing more beyond that, which shouldn't the case in comics. these names are often symbolic and having multiple character take on a name (whether simultaneously or in succession) has it's own dynamic symbolic significances that are just as valid as a single guy or gal holding it. it comes down to the why, I mean the Green Lantern Corp and Court of Cowls are awesome and they both essentially share singular identities because the why of it all plays well. if you are doing it because you were too lazy to think of a way for characters to progress/coexist (coughcoughFlashcoughhackgagcoughTimDrakecoughDami ancough) then yeah, it's not gonna play well.

but then again, Miles and Peter work pretty well, but the why for them is all over the goddamn place. hmmm. I guess context is ultimately (and obviously) the key.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-15-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Well using the example of We are Robin, the purpose wasn't for them to share the mantle literally (they all had different handles derived from Robin) the point is to carry the ideal.
    The case with the League of Batgirls/boys in Bombshells from what I recall is along similar lines, but they are all baseball players, and no single Batgirl hero exists (no legacy case). But it's still an interesting example.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    one guy hold the title only inherently makes the name more unique if that character is meant to be nothing more beyond that, which shouldn't the case in comics. these names are often symbolic and having multiple character take on a name (whether simultaneously or in succession) has it's own dynamic symbolic significances that are just as valid as a single guy or gal holding it.
    The mantle stops being a character though and becomes a status. It's not look out here comes Batman, it's look out here comes a Batman. These characters are of course more than their mantle, but the mantle being their own still plays a role. Iconic heroes and villains become less iconic and more symbolic if the personal stakes are no longer easily definable.

Amazing Member

I think there is nothing wrong in that,especially when ,if you are ready, in the Batfamily you can graduate from the underling position, make your own name and mantle and be your own hero.
    In my opinion no one should be a Robin or a Batgirl forever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mib86 View Post
    I think there is nothing wrong in that,especially when ,if you are ready, in the Batfamily you can graduate from the underling position, make your own name and mantle and be your own hero.
    In my opinion no one should be a Robin or a Batgirl forever.
    Tim Drake is stuck as Robin.

I don't think there is a problem with multiple characters having the same mantle so long as each character is distinct and occupies a unique role.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't think there is a problem with multiple characters having the same mantle so long as each character is distinct and occupies a unique role.
    yeah in Bombshells the original group filled different roles

Amazing Member

Tim Drake is stuck as Robin.
    Unfortunately, i could add , even if he returned Robin again only in the last years.
    i think Tim's graduation to "red robin" was the right thing to do for him.
    Same thing for Barbara,even without her paralysis she should have left the Batgirl role to someone else and create a new unique identity for her.
    In my opinion after years of crimefighting both earned that "right"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mib86 View Post
    Unfortunately, i could add , even if he returned Robin again only in the last years.
    i think Tim's graduation to "red robin" was the right thing to do for him.
    Same thing for Barbara,even without her paralysis she should have left the Batgirl role to someone else and create a new unique identity for her.
    In my opinion after years of crimefighting both earned that "right"
    i agree with this. Babs and Tim outgrew Robin and batgirl years ago