Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I keep seeing suggestions and speculations about multiple characters being called Batgirl, Robin, or Batwoman come up. This is especially true in reference to there being multiple Spider-Men - so it was time to make a thread.

Personally, I'm not into it, it just makes me think of the Power Rangers for some reason. I also think it dilutes the purpose of each character using the same mantle, but I'm open to being convinced I suppose. Does seem destined to cause confusion IMO.

How do you feel about it? Would you be happy to see multiple characters called Robin or Batgirl or Batwoman all existing simultaneously?
    Power Rangers? They don't even have shared mantles in most cases. In fact only one full ranger designation has ever been shared - Green Samurai Ranger was originally Cam from Ninja Storm, and then Mike from the Samurai team shared that name. Most are colour team name Ranger, but Ninja Storm had three factions, Wind, Thunder, and the solo Samurai.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Power Rangers? They don't even have shared mantles in most cases. In fact only one full ranger designation has ever been shared - Green Samurai Ranger was originally Cam from Ninja Storm, and then Mike from the Samurai team shared that name. Most are colour team name Ranger, but Ninja Storm had three factions, Wind, Thunder, and the solo Samurai.
    That's what I mean, they are all Power Rangers, and (when suited-up) you tell them apart by color-coding. Red, Blue etc. So multiple Batgirls, Robins, or Batwomen would still need some way to differentiate them (when suited-up) even if they all use the same mantle. Unless the idea is you can't tell them apart (but where is the fun in that for audience).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    It depends on the title. I'm okay with Batgirl being shared between Steph and Cass. In fact, I really like that idea. But Robin always felt like "one at a time" role. And definitely not something any of the past Robins should return to (looking at you, Tim)
    the only Robin who should get a second chance at the role is Steph and that's because of how shitty her tenure was treated.
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Incredible Member

That's what I mean, they are all Power Rangers, and (when suited-up) you tell them apart by color-coding. Red, Blue etc. So multiple Batgirls, Robins, or Batwomen would still need some way to differentiate them (when suited-up) even if they all use the same mantle. Unless the idea is you can't tell them apart (but where is the fun in that for audience).
    Power Ranger doesn't just use color to distinguish, each helmet is usually distinct from the others and typically additional rangers have unique suits. Also Power Ranger is the name of the group, it's like the military. They have unique designations for each team. Very rarely does a mantle get used twice. I can thik of a few examples (Galaxy Pink, Samurai Red) but those were done in story. The only really weird one is Green Samurai becuase that was an accident.
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Power Ranger doesn't just use color to distinguish, each helmet is usually distinct from the others and typically additional rangers have unique suits. Also Power Ranger is the name of the group, it's like the military. They have unique designations for each team. Very rarely does a mantle get used twice. I can thik of a few examples (Galaxy Pink, Samurai Red) but those were done in story. The only really weird one is Green Samurai becuase that was an accident.
    Whatever, I only watched the movie a while ago. It was a throw in line, not a part of the overall conversation, how about the Ninja Turtles as an analogy instead.

Or you know what, forget it. Back to multiple Robins and Batgirls.

Amazing Member

I'm not a fan of multiple heroes with the same name at the same time because is confusing (except for the green lanterns, they are born to be a corps).
    However i'm a fan of legacies and heroes growing up.
    I think the best way to use robin and batgirl names are as temporary positions for the new sidekicks but like Dick once sayd in Batman TAS "you can't be boy wonder forever" so soon of later they will need to grow and have their own personal hero name leaving that position open to someone else.

Depends, for a tier 1 character like Batman or Superman I don't like it. For GL even if the Corps wasn't a thing, I don't like Hal, so it would not bother me at all. Robin is iffy, but since they really are not in Batman or Detective, I don't find it a huge deal.

Granted, I like War Machine better than Iron Man, so maybe it doesn't bother me so much.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I say go for it if there's a good reason to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Whatever, I only watched the movie a while ago. It was a throw in line, not a part of the overall conversation, how about the Ninja Turtles as an analogy instead.

Or you know what, forget it. Back to multiple Robins and Batgirls.
    Power Rangers was a poor analogy. TMNT doesn't work either. Also I hate the PR movie. Excited for the reboot, hoping they create new characters

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I don't have a problem with it as long as the creators and powers that be put some effort into creating (and maintaining) distinct differences between them. But if you are lazy and write them all the same with the same voice, background, etc. than you might as well not even bother.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I don't have a problem with it as long as the creators and powers that be put some effort into creating (and maintaining) distinct differences between them. But if you are lazy and write them all the same with the same voice, background, etc. than you might as well not even bother.
    The Robins and Batgirls are each distinct

Dick- former circus acrobat, cheery, an excellent leader
    Jason- the street kid, used to be sweet now angry
    Tim- born wealthy very intelligent
    Steph- happy, impulsive, daughter of a criminal
    Damian- little brat but has a good heart
    Bette- born rich but very lonely, perpetual outcast, and basically forgotten (but not by me)
    Babs- fight crime because it's right, intelligent, and has a dark side
    Cass- raised as a killer but rejects it, kind and sweet
    All of these characters are distinct from each other

There were multiple Batgirls in the 'Batgirl: Future's End', haven't read it though, not sure exactly how that worked, but they were a team and not directly competing at least.

I've seen discussions elsewhere some people wanting multiple Batwomen whilst citing the 'Mystery of Batwoman' film. I haven't seen that film, but it seems to me it would make the Batwoman mantle become a transitional stepping stone like seems to have largely happened with Robin, and as others have pointed out we have already had multiple Robins active at once. I think it was a team of Batwomen in that film, from what I heard, but they worked in shifts rather than went out as a team like the Batgirls. Don't quote me on that though, never seen it.

Incredible Member

There were multiple Batgirls in the 'Batgirl: Future's End', haven't read it though, not sure exactly how that worked, but they were a team and not directly competing at least.

I've seen discussions elsewhere some people wanting multiple Batwomen whilst citing the 'Mystery of Batwoman' film. I haven't seen that film, but it seems to me it would make the Batwoman mantle become a transitional stepping stone like seems to have largely happened with Robin, and as others have pointed out we have already had multiple Robins active at once. I think it was a team of Batwomen in that film, from what I heard, but they worked in shifts rather than went out as a team like the Batgirls. Don't quote me on that though, never seen it.
    MOTB had 3 women pretending to be one crimefighter.

League of Batgirls was like the GL Corps

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    MOTB had 3 women pretending to be one crimefighter.
    Which is basically working in shifts, and why I don't buy into the argument about it being proof that multiple Batwomen is necessarily a good idea, nor has it actually been done before (unless we count alternate universes, but then they all aren't really co-existing because they're mostly on separate Earths anyway).

Anyway, I guess we just have to wait and see what the Future State plan is for the Batgirls and how it all works out. I have my doubts that they'll actually all be called Batgirl per say, I think it'll be a collective term 'the Batgirls', but they'll still have their own different mantles (Spoiler, Orphan etc).

Incredible Member

Which is basically working in shifts, and why I don't buy into the argument about it being proof that multiple Batwomen is necessarily a good idea, nor has it actually been done before (unless we count alternate universes, but then they all aren't really co-existing because they're mostly on separate Earths anyway).

Anyway, I guess we just have to wait and see what the Future State plan is for the Batgirls and how it all works out. I have my doubts that they'll actually all be called Batgirl per say, I think it'll be a collective term 'the Batgirls', but they'll still have their own different mantles (Spoiler, Orphan etc).
    I'm okay with that apporach